Verified:

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Feb 5th 2021, 4:36:36

We're strongly considering making the following two changes:

1) The "Allow other players to see you on leaderboards" preference option will be removed. All players will be visible on leaderboards.

2) The "Allow other players to see previous countries" preference option will be changed to "Allow other players to see your previous countries created before 2021". Existing configuration values will be preserved. Think of this as revealing ownership for all new countries for all players going forward. The most likely outcome is that country owners will be public for countries created as part of resets that start after the upcoming alliance server start time. The exact timing hasn't been determined and 2020/2021 isn't the true cutoff. The wording isn't precise because it would have been too lengthy.

Now is the time to speak up if you think that these changes are a bad idea.

Edited By: Slagpit on Mar 3rd 2021, 17:10:06
See Original Post

DruncK Game profile

Feb 5th 2021, 4:40:58

I only think it *may* be a bad idea because people would just make new accounts to suicide

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Feb 5th 2021, 4:44:34

Originally posted by DruncK:
I only think it *may* be a bad idea because people would just make new accounts to suicide

I hope not. That would be against the game's rules.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 5th 2021, 5:03:56

I'm all for public shaming of suiciders :-)
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 5th 2021, 5:30:03

Originally posted by Slagpit:

If the root cause of the need to make new accounts is addressed then it won't matter anymore. The necessity of it was due to flaws in the programming originally. It may have taken 11 years but looks like it might be fixed now.

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Feb 5th 2021, 9:54:26

1) The "Allow other players to see you on leaderboards" preference option will be removed. All players will be visible on leaderboards.

I see only benefits with this. Great change (as long as the leaderboard updates are fixed, which is my understanding).

2) The "Allow other players to see previous countries" preference option will be changed to "Allow other players to see your previous countries created before 2021". Existing configuration values will be preserved. Think of this as revealing ownership for all new countries for all players going forward. The most likely outcome is that country owners will be public for countries created as part of resets that start after the upcoming alliance server start time. The exact timing hasn't been determined and 2020/2021 isn't the true cutoff. The wording isn't precise because it would have been too lengthy.

That all countries owners are revealed after the reset is a great improvement and I think it will be a much easier game to moderate and more chill to play once every player has to stand for the actions he takes.

When it comes to the not 'revealing countries created before 2021'-part. I understand part of the reasoning could be that actions that were taken with the impression that they would remain hidden forever would perhaps feel betrayed by exposing them against their will. I get that part.
But, this is a game. No action taken in here 2 or 5 years ago will have any consequences, probably not even in the game.
We all have things we have done that we may have regretted. And I think If those things came out in the open it would generate some harsh words. Maybe even a fight or two(I honestly doubt it). It would all die down within a week or two.
On the upside: My enemies would like to see my past so they could critique me. I would want to see theirs. But most of all, I think the past country statuses and the linkage with players can help players learn about each others strategies and kinks and such as well as make us talk to each others.

If I were to venture a guess I would say thay for every negative conflict that steals energy that would be created by a universal opening of all of the leaderboards history, there would be several positive bridges created by players who realize who they been talking to, exchanging grabs with, beaten/gotten beaten by in the past. Because we play a social game, and hiding who we are probably has advantages for our gameplay in many cases, but doing so ruins the social aspects of the game to a degree.

I'm not sure I would open my profile to show the past countries if I had the option, that is precisely why I think you need force me to open it fully.

Edited By: Gerdler on Feb 5th 2021, 9:56:44
See Original Post

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 5th 2021, 12:32:24

i think for pre x date countries they should still be opened but id be fine with a grace period

where it was grandfathered in over a period of time so it wasnt just last reset being immediately visible but might become visible in say a year, when it wasnt as big a deal anymore

one huge benefit of profiles becoming open is its a lot easier to prove whos been sending FA to who which is relevant for netgaining with reps, farmed land, uneven landtrading, tech leeches, offence leeches being the main issues

also you could have one person faking sending aid by getting it back after

and another option is to open countries but not reveal who played them

Chevs

Feb 5th 2021, 14:58:23

Why wasn't hash purpled this set then?
SOF Head Of Poop
2019-04-03 21:40:26 PS the stinky deyicks (#599) Beryl Houston (#360) LaF 30638A (43783A)
En4cer: Chevs... u would have beaten me by more than 100m

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Feb 5th 2021, 15:28:08

Originally posted by Chevs:

Why wasn't hash purpled this set then?

If you have evidence that a player is breaking the rules you should send that to a moderator.

whooze Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 7th 2021, 8:07:43

Originally posted by Gerdler:
No action taken in here 2 or 5 years ago will have any consequences, probably not even in the game.

Wish that was true, but it's not.

Remember, this is a game where the admin boss himself promise other players that he will forever ruin their gaming experience for bullfluff reasons. With that in mind - what would others do?

Slagpit, this sound like a healthy change, and respecting that people have chosen to have their country-history hidden is a must if the developers wants their words to mean anything.
I see no problems to open up countries from now on though.

And enforcing 1 account per user is going to be a must. There were deletions this set because someone had more than one accounts... and seriously what moderator admin is associated with that tag/player?

And while talking about 1 account per user and being able to be hold accountable. What's up with these board-handles? Isn't these handles a way to make it possible for people to NOT be hold accountable?

DerrickICN Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 7th 2021, 20:33:34

Yeah. I agree with whooze and enshula both for the same reason. I think very recent history might be a bit of a privacy violation thing. Maybe you could grandfather the pre 2021 cut off in a year, but people will totally get over stuff when it was forever ago I believe that too. Some of it just needs a bit of time to collect dust. But I agree with gerdler it would be nice to eventually do it.

Especially agree with whooze that the 10s of thousands of forum nicks also leads to accountability issues. People using different nicks on the forums can still have a consequential part in getting someone killed. I have more than once been fooled by someone who used a 1 for an l or a O for a 0 to impersonate another player. This could still be exploited.

All players should have their leaderboard nick on forums.

Edited By: DerrickICN on Feb 7th 2021, 20:38:28
See Original Post

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 8th 2021, 0:19:41

If you can't track me on the leaderboards idgaf, I always win baby!

Like the mailman I always deliver.

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 8th 2021, 3:06:41

i wouldnt hate the idea of identifying non open forum nicks as such, theres some fun when its anonymous top 10 lists of tags or players or whatever

and having a filter to ignore posts by anonymous people, possibly even opt out

the one case for anonymity is when theres a lot of undeserved harassment, and possibly just in general for devs/mods

Brigg Game profile

Feb 8th 2021, 11:39:57

While we're at it, can we get all the "Unlinked Account"s removed from the leaderboards entirely?
Check out my Novel Before they ban it!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086WXJVKR

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Feb 8th 2021, 14:50:24

Multiple forum accounts per user are needed for political reasons. Sometimes anonymous posting is required, like for whistleblowing.

Originally posted by Brigg:
While we're at it, can we get all the "Unlinked Account"s removed from the leaderboards entirely?

This would be the effective end result. If the player has a display name (almost everyone), then their name would appear on the leaderboards instead of "Unlinked Account".

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 8th 2021, 15:14:31

what display name does the bot account have?

will it be a letdown when we find out?

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 8th 2021, 15:25:29

Multiple forum accounts per user are needed for political reasons. Sometimes anonymous posting is required, like for whistleblowing.

100% agree.

I would also like an option to 'ignore' a user of choice as well. I think this would help a lot to keep petty back and forth from going on.

Edited By: Requiem on Feb 8th 2021, 15:31:45. Reason: Need coffee

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Feb 8th 2021, 15:25:43

Originally posted by enshula:
what display name does the bot account have?

will it be a letdown when we find out?

I'm changing the code to filter out the bot account because it wins some leaderboards by default. For example, it has over 900k defends on alliance.

Chevs

Feb 8th 2021, 18:48:20

Originally posted by Requiem:

100% agree.

I would also like an option to 'ignore' a user of choice as well. I think this would help a lot to keep petty back and forth from going on.

+1, whats the process for getting forum alts able to be able to post on boards?

also HYPOTHETICALLY (i'm not in this boat)

getting forum alts restored from a deleted account
SOF Head Of Poop
2019-04-03 21:40:26 PS the stinky deyicks (#599) Beryl Houston (#360) LaF 30638A (43783A)

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Feb 8th 2021, 20:19:25

100% agree.

It's in the top right:

https://www.earthempires.com/portal/handle/new
https://www.earthempires.com/portal/merge/claim

I doubt that you can transfer a claimed forum handle from a disabled account to a different account. You can try it though. If it doesn't work and getting that forum handle is incredibly important to you, you could try asking the moderators to help.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Feb 8th 2021, 21:24:11

The bot's handle is "Earth Empires" :-D
Finally did the signature thing.

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Feb 8th 2021, 23:07:23

100% agree.

I have been begging for this option forever now. Especially here on the forums.

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

HEMPMAN1 Game profile

Feb 9th 2021, 16:57:50

I am good with suggested changes.. assuming i understand them correctly.. lol

Tmac Game profile

Feb 9th 2021, 23:50:10

I'm all for transparency. Stand behind what you do. Would be funny to see any hypocrites, lol. What's the worst that could happen? Someone gets suicided because of their past actions? Maybe it would take the heat off me for a set!

beerdrinker75 Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 10th 2021, 0:36:56

I like these changes.
Just shut up and have another beer

Chevs

Feb 10th 2021, 21:22:19

100% agree.

It's in the top right:

I doubt that you can transfer a claimed forum handle from a disabled account to a different account. You can try it though. If it doesn't work and getting that forum handle is incredibly important to you, you could try asking the moderators to help.

It doesn't work. I asked galleri for help and she said no. Which mod am I supposed to ask / which mod has these tools?
SOF Head Of Poop

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Feb 10th 2021, 21:39:36

100% agree.

It's in the top right:

It doesn't work. I asked galleri for help and she said no. Which mod am I supposed to ask / which mod has these tools?

I'll ask a bit on your behalf. The tools to do this probably don't exist.

Chevs

Feb 10th 2021, 21:43:25

Thank you, appreciate it
SOF Head Of Poop

BlueCow

Feb 10th 2021, 21:44:12

A dev did it for me so it can be done.
Slag 12 - Chevs -15

DerrickICN Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 10th 2021, 22:07:20

I think fake nicks became mod discretion a while ago. You cant just make and post with a nick now you need to get it approved. And a mod can say no for any reason.

I've never seen them used for whistleblowing, but they were totally getting abused by players impersonating other players and using them to shield the identity of suiciders and griefers. This is their primary efficacy and I think everyone here knows it. The day I see someone use it for whistleblowing I guess I'll be like "ahhh ok slag was right." Just because it never has happened doesnt mean it won't lol.

Now that the leaderboards will be fixed and people will have totally open profiles going forward, I think it dramatically reduces the use it has for griefing because we will all know who you actually were after a set anyways. I do think the mods should have some control over it tho because it was totally getting out of hand.

If you want to get it approved, you probably just have to find the one mod or dev who thinks you suiciding on a fake nick is hilarious and doesnt cause them more drama and headaches. Prime will still approve them to attack someones personal politics or life. You just have to ask the right one. You really gotta find one who doesnt care if they make someone rage out in the game tho, because they're primarily only used for toxic reasons, and the mod pretty much knows that going into approving it haha. It's pretty much like asking the mod if they want a bunch of suicider drama and griefer witch hunts and people tracing scoreslists and other toxic stuff. Like idk. Usually not.

I think that its theoretically good that they could still approve of people who are using it for something like whistleblowing. That sounds right to me. But I do think you should have a reason other than to grief/insult/impersonate another player.

Edited By: DerrickICN on Feb 10th 2021, 22:26:12
See Original Post

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Feb 11th 2021, 0:08:25

100% agree.

It's in the top right:

I told you: "I don't have that mod tool option. I am not sure if a admin does or not?"
I am not sure how you misconstrued that into not getting help from a mod and where you should get help from next?

Edited By: galleri on Feb 11th 2021, 0:11:35

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 11th 2021, 4:32:33

nicks should just be marked as fake/anonymous if they arnt openly linked to all your other open nicks and the main one

anyway is this enough to make people expect that at least this sets countries will be opened or should there be an extra message/confirmation

table4two Game profile

Feb 11th 2021, 12:21:10

I don't think fake nicks should be allowed. While yes, it could be used for whistle blowing, I cannot recall anytime is has, and wouldn't be surprised if this loop hole was used to insult and belittle others.