Verified:

Drow Game profile

Apr 24th 2013, 5:36:10

it became an issue when the pure netgainers wanted to be able to completely skimp on defence to get max NW.
YES, there is truth to the argument that it's virtually impossible with the way the game is structured to be impossible to grab (3 off v 2 def allies), BUT. If it's going to be moderately expensive to hit you, and there are targets that are going to give similar rewards for a lot less expenditure, guess who becomes the target?
In terms of outrunning retals, I personally am not completely against this, except in cases where the grabber is intentionally being a fluff.
Basically if you're unpacted, and you're grabbing, I'd expect you to try and out run. if you're on a grabbing pact, then no I wouldn't expect you to outrun. That doesn't mean that the person retalling has details of your breaks etc, just that you're not actively jumping to prevent the mutually beneficial retal.

Edited By: Drow on Apr 24th 2013, 5:38:51
See Original Post

Paradigm President of failed speeling

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 24th 2013, 6:15:02

Originally posted by Darakna:
Originally posted by Trife:
You should be sorry, when you are so small

that's what she said!

Well played Michael Scott, well played.

LOL I knew it, Darakna is an NDBF. LOL, that's needle-fluffed bug fluffer for you uninitiated. LOL
I don't need anger management, people need to stop pissing me off!

Iamminghui Game profile

Apr 24th 2013, 8:52:18

there is no absolute argument in this, like how drow said, if you are not planning to follow the politics bound in the alliance game, be a douche and outrun by all means.. if you plan to maintain goodwill in a grabbing pact, be a gentleman and wait for a retal.. oh.. was I too harsh with the words?

tulosba Game profile

Apr 24th 2013, 9:10:24

yup. Otherwise it becomes too blurred as to what is a grabbing pact between friends - and what is a will retal.
Imho to a will retal it's ok to try and outrun the retal. It's the whole point of the game.

But to friends, it cheeses me off if I must sell turrets and convert to a jetter to retal your guy. That's just not cricket. And all of a sudden I don't see you as good of a friend as before.

BobbyATA Game profile

Apr 24th 2013, 10:42:10

Originally posted by SolidSnake:
If you're grabbing with the intention of being retaled, then you should just give up on grabbing because you're very bad.

have you not been playing the last few sets?

SolidSnake Game profile

Apr 24th 2013, 11:03:15

Originally posted by BobbyATA:
If you're grabbing with the intention of being retaled, then you should just give up on grabbing because you're very bad.

have you not been playing the last few sets?

Nope havnt been playing. But just because the admins incompetence lead to higher nw's doesnt make the strategy good, the only difference is the few good players that are left took the lazy way out and did the same last set...

Fact is a good player could have just farmed all the landtraders and there would be nothing they could have done about it. Kinda annoying that they changed things now, I was considering grabbing to 300-400k just to piss people off...

BobbyATA Game profile

Apr 24th 2013, 11:08:49

don't worry SS, you piss people off whatever you do:P. And I don't play this craphole of a server either anymore. You should come to primary, there is a real server and challenge.

Trife Game profile

Apr 24th 2013, 14:23:40

Originally posted by Trife:
You should be sorry, when you are so small

that's what she said!

Well played Michael Scott, well played.

The name is Scarn. Michael Scarn.

Makolyte Game profile

Apr 24th 2013, 14:34:06

Bend over, grab your ankles, and take the retal like a pretty boy in prison.
--------------------------------------------
Alliance: VP of Death Knights
FFA: XI warrior
--------------------------------------------

Cougar Game profile

Apr 24th 2013, 21:22:35

didn't read up at all. but there is a huge difference between spending a few days production to make the other guy pay a bit to get his land back, and using all your stock to outrun a single landgrab.

At this point in the reset, if you are not able to retal someone, you fail as a clan and have no "tag protection".

Dissidenticn

Apr 26th 2013, 14:08:24

Archaic says: "Its generally impossible to outrun a retal from a midfeed target, all you're really accomplishing is hurting your finish and your targets finish by forcing both of you to buy a ton of military. Doing something that deliberately hurts both sides is spiteful and rude and hence frowned upon."

I completely agree with this... and more. When you boost your defence and try to outrun a retal, well... the retal returns scale to your nw. Any clan worth their salt will be able to retal you and you'll invariably lose more than you took. On top of that, youll have a ton of new military which makes it even more difficult for you.

H4xOr WaNgEr Game profile

Forum Moderator

Apr 26th 2013, 14:30:04

Originally posted by Dissidenticn:
Archaic says: "Its generally impossible to outrun a retal from a midfeed target, all you're really accomplishing is hurting your finish and your targets finish by forcing both of you to buy a ton of military. Doing something that deliberately hurts both sides is spiteful and rude and hence frowned upon."

I completely agree with this... and more. When you boost your defence and try to outrun a retal, well... the retal returns scale to your nw. Any clan worth their salt will be able to retal you and you'll invariably lose more than you took. On top of that, youll have a ton of new military which makes it even more difficult for you.

people manage to out run retals all the time, thus you are wrong?

davidoss Game profile

Apr 26th 2013, 21:57:20

Says it like it is :o

Purposeful1 Game profile

Apr 27th 2013, 0:16:11

Originally posted by H4xOr WaNgEr:

Against established clans? When?
Purposeful1

locket Game profile

Apr 27th 2013, 0:47:41

Originally posted by Purposeful1:
Originally posted by H4xOr WaNgEr:

Against established clans? When?

Have you never run into the Laf techer will retal farmers? They havnt done it recently but they did it all the time. Even to Evo. At a certain point in the set it becomes unprofitable to do it though.

H4xOr WaNgEr Game profile

Forum Moderator

Apr 27th 2013, 0:48:23

As mentioned in this thread, some laf countries did it to evo last reset.

Also it depends, would you consider PDM established?

Rockman Game profile

Apr 27th 2013, 11:51:06

Outrunning retals, or even trying to make yourself annoying to retal, if done against an alliance that you are allied with, is most definitely wrong.

If you're not allied with the other alliance, then there's nothing wrong with outrunning retals.

I think dissident icn is purposefully being ignorant. He's made such a habit of saying incorrect things, that I have to believe it is intentional. It is well known that LaF's players outrun retals better than anyone else in alliance. It's related to why LaF players tend to do so well in primary - LaF players make up like half of the top primary players. LaF hasn't done it in a couple of sets, but dissident's memory has to be longer than just 3 or 4 months. Maybe I'm overestimating his intelligence, but I gotta believe that he knows that LaF has for about 15 years, had techers who outrun retals as well as anyone in the game.

Soultaker

Apr 27th 2013, 13:38:32

i totaly agree with Scode and i've been on the receiving end of someon trying to run from getting retalled, it makes the game fun and with the mechanics of the game there is no way you could outrun a retal

Rockman Game profile

Apr 28th 2013, 20:39:10

Originally posted by Soultaker:
i totaly agree with Scode and i've been on the receiving end of someon trying to run from getting retalled, it makes the game fun and with the mechanics of the game there is no way you could outrun a retal

LaF has done it for years. So why do you say it cannot be done?

Xinhuan Game profile

Apr 28th 2013, 23:00:08

Originally posted by Rockman:
LaF has done it for years. So why do you say it cannot be done?

Maybe his retal window is larger than 48 hours. Or 72.

Riddler Game profile

Apr 29th 2013, 16:38:10

Yeah, i did this, bought up a ton of def after a grab and ended dead since they couldn't legitimately retal me....panks

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 29th 2013, 16:44:32

If you get SS, SG, Eug, (and any other top LaFer that I am forgetting the list is quite long) all allied together in a defensive ring. No one can retal them.

Dissidenticn

Apr 29th 2013, 17:49:48

There is only a short period in the set where a select few countries in this game can "outrun" a clan in retals. You might be able to outrun a country... but that doesn't guarantee you can outrun a whole clan from a retal. So yes, it happens when a clan lets 5-10 retals slip through simply because LAF is too good with their techer reseller stuff early in the set, but after the second week, any clan worth their salt should be able to hold their own against the top countries on the server.