Verified:

blid

EE Patron

Jan 28th 2014, 4:29:52

Think about h2o a couple sets ago in Primary. A 60 day reset where he had his own dedicated land farm that also stole everyone else's tech. He didn't get deleted and finished in 2nd place. He was a stiff breeze away from winning the set and besmirching the Primary winners list forever. And with the same land farm in Tournament, he didn't get deleted. In fact he set the all-time highest score. These servers are 60 and 30 days long. That's why I say the real key is going back and deleting countries after sets are over.
Originally posted by Mr. Titanium:
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

h2orich Game profile

Jan 28th 2014, 4:30:27

[quote poster=braden; 29588; 531208]i think you mentioned, though i could very well be incorrect in this, h20, that you saw no reason for a rep to have any tech [sell] in the last fifteen minutes?

with forty six minutes left in the server i put up my tech sales at one thousand (eight hundred and fourteen if you're ingle. ;p), and often the market time places the goods for sale in that time period. so perfectly legitimate to have many countries selling off their tech there [/quote]

oh yeah I forget about it. I used to wake up at 7:15 and run all my turns then sell the rest of the tech at $1000, this could increase my final nw by about 400-700k but I realised its not worth my sleep after that. So I just forgo this move and wake up at 7:45 to run my turns.

RaTS FYA Game profile

Jan 28th 2014, 4:31:02

Wasn't the same whining going on about CX in primary like 7 years ago?
<~qzjul> it gives you a good introduction to orbital mechanics and a good appreciation for how central delta-V is and thrust to weight ratio
<RaTSFYA>The only thrust to weight ratio I'm worried about involves the women I pick up at bars

braden Game profile

Jan 28th 2014, 4:35:11

ah, mine ends at seven/eight PM, so i don't have the waking up issue. and besides, 700k nw is important for me, perhaps less so for you :P

somebody else mentioned playing to win, i simply play to place top ten as i know i never will win :P

CX LaE Game profile

Jan 28th 2014, 4:59:46

I wasn't playing Primary 7ish years ago lol. Just FFA then. I was Primary regularly between 99-03 and extremely sparingly since.
LaE | Monks | NA
Since 1999

RaTS FYA Game profile

Jan 28th 2014, 5:01:29

what server was 1b, that everyone use to cry about me being your land farm in?
<~qzjul> it gives you a good introduction to orbital mechanics and a good appreciation for how central delta-V is and thrust to weight ratio
<RaTSFYA>The only thrust to weight ratio I'm worried about involves the women I pick up at bars

CX LaE Game profile

Jan 28th 2014, 6:13:39

Primary LOL. Was funny b/c I never, to my knowledge, used farms in Primary.
LaE | Monks | NA
Since 1999

braden Game profile

Jan 28th 2014, 6:19:28

certainly not as a theocracy or communism; mayhap for demo, rep, fascist or dictator, though..

..oh, he meant the other farms, my bad :P

ingle Game profile

Jan 28th 2014, 18:00:18

Originally posted by Xinhuan:

The 60% bonus is part of the problem that contributes to it. The reason why Commies are so strong, as you said, is because "commies can stock enough to cover their entire destock without going into corruption". And why is this? Because finishing NWs are so low on this server. There is only 1800 turns per reset, about half the number compared to other servers! Change this to be in line with other servers and you will see Commies no longer dominate.

Again the reset of 1800 turns is the problem because it is too fast paced - even if you kept the pace of turns at 1 per 4 minutes, and doubled it to 3600 turns (and each reset is 10 days), it would go a long way towards solving the problems, you have double the time to stock, double the time to catch cheaters, double the time to police the market, etc. The finishing NWs will more than double, and high expenses and such considerations then come into play.

I don't agree with you Xin. Having 1800 turns is not a problem because Tourney also has 1800~ turns (however, they have bonuses since it spans a 30 day range - expenses/turns/booms bonuses are all available).

Round 19 and onwards, 13 Rep Casher, 7 Commie Indy, 4 Theo Techer, 2 Demo Techers, 1 Demo Casher (courtesy of oldman):
http://www.earthempires.com/...014%29-14135?t=1388559843

Commie Indy does NOT dominate as much as you'd think. I'm sure Blid will also point out that the top networth record belongs to h2o (commie indy).

The top finishing networths typically range from 30-35 mil nw, similar to Express. However, land is more scarce and the market/competition is much smaller.

imo, it's not the total # of turns giving commie the advantage, it's the total # of turns you can have on hand at one time. Being able to run 360 turns at once makes it much easier to destock in 5 minutes at EOS while in tourney, if you wanted to cash out 360 turns, you'd have to do it 5-6 days in advance (56 + 6 bonus turns/day).

The point of express is to have a fast paced game with a short turn around. If you get wrecked/war or forget to join GDI, you don't need to wait 1-2 months before starting up again.

crest23 Game profile

Jan 28th 2014, 19:08:47

The root cause of the problem is the fast paced nature of the server, allowing coordinated efforts on market play to be easily conducted (among a large list of problems that a fast paced server brings). I've said all this before in that titanic thread of Express suggestions, etc, so I won't repeat it again, but you all know that what I said was that slowing down the server is the solution.

On other servers, you can still do market transfers, but it is much much much harder because of slow turnover time on the market.
The Nigerian Nightmare.

TDA101 Game profile

Jan 28th 2014, 19:15:23

Commie Indy doesn't dominate as much as you think? Please, tell me what strats have won the past X sets and by whom.

Please.

The fast turn situation means theres always a demand for military because even during the last few hours people need turrets or there are multiple people buying military who are literally a day and a half in turns behind wanting to grab/retal/defend.

This leads to consistent highly priced military, you rarely see it drop below $120, this means Commies get a good price for their military whilst keeping expenses lower.

Out of the last 25 sets.

CI has won 17 times
Farmer has won twice (by me LOL)
Casher has won twice (by CX LOL)
Techer has won 4 times (2 from DFA, 2 from CX)

Seems balanced.

Cable Game profile

Jan 28th 2014, 19:24:37

If you dont want a commie to win war him with another bug commie ;)

TDA101 Game profile

Jan 28th 2014, 19:30:49

that's retarded because in order to screw the top 10 up, i'd have to keep up with them for 5 days, and if I can keep up with them as a commie why not win? Commie is the most run strat on the server.

Xinhuan Game profile

Jan 28th 2014, 19:34:35

Originally posted by ingle:

The 60% bonus is part of the problem that contributes to it. The reason why Commies are so strong, as you said, is because "commies can stock enough to cover their entire destock without going into corruption". And why is this? Because finishing NWs are so low on this server. There is only 1800 turns per reset, about half the number compared to other servers! Change this to be in line with other servers and you will see Commies no longer dominate.

Again the reset of 1800 turns is the problem because it is too fast paced - even if you kept the pace of turns at 1 per 4 minutes, and doubled it to 3600 turns (and each reset is 10 days), it would go a long way towards solving the problems, you have double the time to stock, double the time to catch cheaters, double the time to police the market, etc. The finishing NWs will more than double, and high expenses and such considerations then come into play.

I don't agree with you Xin. Having 1800 turns is not a problem because Tourney also has 1800~ turns (however, they have bonuses since it spans a 30 day range - expenses/turns/booms bonuses are all available).

Round 19 and onwards, 13 Rep Casher, 7 Commie Indy, 4 Theo Techer, 2 Demo Techers, 1 Demo Casher (courtesy of oldman):
http://www.earthempires.com/...014%29-14135?t=1388559843

Commie Indy does NOT dominate as much as you'd think. I'm sure Blid will also point out that the top networth record belongs to h2o (commie indy).

The top finishing networths typically range from 30-35 mil nw, similar to Express. However, land is more scarce and the market/competition is much smaller.

imo, it's not the total # of turns giving commie the advantage, it's the total # of turns you can have on hand at one time. Being able to run 360 turns at once makes it much easier to destock in 5 minutes at EOS while in tourney, if you wanted to cash out 360 turns, you'd have to do it 5-6 days in advance (56 + 6 bonus turns/day).

The point of express is to have a fast paced game with a short turn around. If you get wrecked/war or forget to join GDI, you don't need to wait 1-2 months before starting up again.

As TDA has pointed out, Commie indies rule Express, because of the fast pace of the server. While Tourny server also has 1800 turns, the slow paced nature of it means the markets do not swing as wildly, people price their goods more conservatively to make sure it sells, and market transfers are much harder there. On express, you can price less conservatively, worst case, you just recall 45 min later and price again.

To rephrase, I wasn't saying that a 1800-turn reset is the problem. I'm saying that 1800-turn reset combined WITH fast paced turns is the problem.

In fact, not only do Commies win far more often, if you look at all the top 10s, the most popular strategy is usually CI on Express, usually taking up 3 or 4 of the 10 spots. Of course, statistically, if you have more people playing Commies, then proportion-wise, there would be more Commies in the top 10, but if more people playing Commies aren't actually weakening the CI strat (I mean, they are still so many CIs in the top 10 compared to other strats), then CI itself is just a very strong strat.

"it's not the total # of turns giving commie the advantage, it's the total # of turns you can have on hand at one time." - This is part of the problem as you have identified - the fact is that the turns come in so fast, the server is forced to let players pile up that many turns. I had suggested nerfing the turn limit to 180(180) in the past so that players are required to login twice a day on Express (instead of once a day) to not lose turns.

Again, the fast paced nature of the server is causing a lot of problems that otherwise don't exist. The Commie 60% sell rule exists only because you can't otherwise run the bulk of turns that come in so quickly - an indy must sell once every ~50 turns if it is limited to the original 35%. But even my 180(180) max turn limit suggestion and the 60% sell rule, all these are bandaid fixes - the root cause is still the fast pace of the server.

I definitely get that the whole point of the server is the fast turn around, you don't have to wait 2 months for the next reset. But in exchange, you get about 10 other problems.

Edited By: Xinhuan on Jan 28th 2014, 19:40:59
See Original Post

TDA101 Game profile

Jan 28th 2014, 19:37:29

in terms of X(Y) I don't see how maybe we can't run a 180(360). I think the key is the number of turns you need to run per day, not number of turns stored.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 28th 2014, 20:52:02

Originally posted by TDA101:
in terms of X(Y) I don't see how maybe we can't run a 180(360). I think the key is the number of turns you need to run per day, not number of turns stored.

Denied.
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

ingle Game profile

Jan 28th 2014, 22:51:21

I was pointing out the fact that a commie indy with 1800 turns does not necessarily own the server (ie. commies don't own in tourney).

Commie Indies in express are definitely the easiest and most viable strat for top 10 (hence why I play one almost every set).

Getafix Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 28th 2014, 22:55:22

I'll get you commies with a non cheating Rep casher yet!!

CX LaE Game profile

Jan 28th 2014, 22:58:02

One day I'm sure you will.
LaE | Monks | NA
Since 1999

Getafix Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 28th 2014, 23:03:32

Thanks CX :)

braden Game profile

Jan 28th 2014, 23:13:50

i thought you had a decent chance last set to do exactly that, getafix. i do indeed look forward to it.

braden Game profile

Jan 28th 2014, 23:14:18

your win, that is

blid

EE Patron

Jan 28th 2014, 23:16:04

Getafix ran a near perfect set last round but it wasn't a casher's reset. Rather high prices in tech, food, and military. Viva and others can run up 29-30m almost every round on a commie and you can't beat that easily with a casher to begin with, let alone with expensive tech and food.
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

braden Game profile

Jan 28th 2014, 23:48:40

dont i ever know it, blid ;p

22 sounds great let alone 29 lol

h2orich Game profile

Jan 29th 2014, 1:15:06

The reason why CI owns in express and not in tourneys is because of the 60% selling and the different game play in both servers.

In express, you are able to double max sell your turrets and get them sold within 1.5 hrs, only having 16% of your turrets left of your original state. With that low amount of turrets, you are able to networth match targets and gain better gains off them. In tourney, you cant do that, you suffer with the high expenses and high networth incurred as a CI, you risk of getting yourself some special attacks i.e ABs or Missiles even if you grab a person once. In express you can run 0 tanks 0 SDI 0 troops if you only grab that guy once.

Xinhuan Game profile

Jan 29th 2014, 2:51:55

^^^

Ding ding ding!

hsifreta Game profile

Jan 29th 2014, 3:26:27

second that

TDA101 Game profile

Jan 29th 2014, 3:30:07

No one actually double sells turrets say past the first day. People would notice the NW change and instantly dumpster retal you. The double sell is important for the destock though.

Xinhuan Game profile

Jan 29th 2014, 3:50:46

No one actually double sells turrets say past the first day. People would notice the NW change and instantly dumpster retal you. The double sell is important for the destock though.

Being able to sell 74% of your turrets in 1.5 hours, and converting that all to jets for a HUGE retal or topfeed or whatever purpose, is just broken - the ability to switch up your country military makeup is insane - you can warprep so easily too.

blid

EE Patron

Jan 29th 2014, 3:56:37

That may be so, but that has nothing to do with most of the commie winners.

h2orich Game profile

Jan 29th 2014, 4:55:24

I actually do it. Actually at some point of time I even have 0 turrets, I sell them onto private just to nw match my targets.