Verified:

Angel1 Game profile

May 4th 2014, 11:51:25

https://www.youtube.com/...=UUcEPmwpXKrKzZahqjwpIAsQ

There we go, in the English language, America = the United States of America.

In Spanish, America = the continent.
-Angel1

elvesrus

May 4th 2014, 12:00:01

could have sworn america was 2 continents
Originally posted by crest23:
Elves is a douche on every server.

Angel1 Game profile

May 4th 2014, 12:17:28

North America and/or South America =/= America.
-Angel1

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

May 4th 2014, 13:05:19

I am whatever you say I am. If I wasn't then why would you say I am.

Marshal Game profile

May 4th 2014, 13:16:20

north (canuckland and yankeeland), mid (mexico, belize and guatemala) and south america (columbia, brazil, argentina, etc).
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

Akula Game profile

EE Patron

May 4th 2014, 13:19:16

but but but Mexico is in North America Marshal, and dogs CAN look up !
=============================
"Astra inclinant, sed non obligant"

SOL http://sol.ghqnet.com/
=============================

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

May 4th 2014, 13:33:36

You never hear nothing about Argentina, Uruguay, or Paraguay (at least I dont). It's like they don't exist.

braden Game profile

May 4th 2014, 14:16:02

don't let ko hear you say that! and some not too bad wines, either.

wikipedia tells me central america is considered a subcontinent?.. and isthmuses? that was an interesting read.

hawkeyee Game profile

May 4th 2014, 14:29:21

Personally, when I say America I mean the country. When I say North America I mean Canada, USA, Mexico. When I say Caribbean I mean all those touristy places... Cuba, Haiti, Dominican, Jamaica, St. Maarten etc. When I say South America I mean everything South of Mexico that isn't in the Caribbean (including those countries like Panama, Honduras, El Salvador etc. that are technically part of North America.

Sometimes I'll use North America to refer to Canada and US only depending on the context, and I'll separate Mexico completely.
Minister
The Omega
Omega Retal Policy/Contacts: http://tinyurl.com/owpvakm (Earth Wiki)
Apply: http://tinyurl.com/mydc8by (Boxcar)

braden Game profile

May 4th 2014, 14:32:46

you and arizona both, hawkeye ;)

Trife Game profile

May 4th 2014, 15:19:11

America is the USA. Disagree with that and we will bring freedom to your country using our armed forces. That and obesity

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

May 4th 2014, 19:57:23

Better fear what Trife has said, as soon as Obama establishes the new American Dictatorship, they just might do that. Conquest is usually a part of an Imperial System, and Obama is well on the way to establishing one.

You all though the US was bad before, just wait. LOL

I don't need anger management, people need to stop pissing me off!

Heston Game profile

May 4th 2014, 21:33:07

Originally posted by Cerberus:
Better fear what Trife has said, as soon as Obama establishes the new American Dictatorship, they just might do that. Conquest is usually a part of an Imperial System, and Obama is well on the way to establishing one.

I thought you said he was a devout muslim bent on bringing shiria law. Werent you salty about being cut off from sucking michelles fluff? I mean fluff a duck. Just saying fluff that sounds insulting? You sound fluffing stupid.
❤️️Nothing but❤️️💯❤️️❤️️🌺🌸🌹❤️❤️💯

braden Game profile

May 4th 2014, 21:44:14

how come when obama makes jokes about him being born in kenya it's funny, but others do it and they are racist or come off sounding fluffing stupid? seems less fair than one

also, obama started the hillary rodham from kenya rumours!

Getafix Game profile

EE Patron

May 4th 2014, 22:19:16

Originally posted by Requiem:
You never hear nothing about Argentina, Uruguay, or Paraguay (at least I dont). It's like they don't exist.

In the US children are brainwashed from an early age to believe that the US is America and the rest of the world is irrelevant or hostile. This brainwashing continues into adulthood and the media is completely blanketed by the propaganda machine.

I was the unfortunate recipient of that brainwashing process as a child. I learned a lot of great things about the natives and developed a fierce patriotism and all sorts of prejudices. I was really fluffed up when I moved to Europe and had the process repeated but all the enemies changed.

Heston Game profile

May 4th 2014, 22:22:51

Originally posted by Getafix:
Originally posted by Requiem:

In the US children are brainwashed from an early age to believe that the US is America and the rest of the world is irrelevant or hostile. This brainwashing continues into adulthood and the media is completely blanketed by the propaganda machine.

I was the unfortunate recipient of that brainwashing process as a child. I learned a lot of great things about the natives and developed a fierce patriotism and all sorts of prejudices. I was really fluffed up when I moved to Europe and had the process repeated but all the enemies changed.

Wrong account Cerberus!
❤️️Nothing but❤️️💯❤️️❤️️🌺🌸🌹❤️❤️💯

Getafix Game profile

EE Patron

May 4th 2014, 22:32:09

Oh fluff! That must have been my other head!

braden Game profile

May 4th 2014, 22:32:18

that implies that americans are taught geography.

Getafix Game profile

EE Patron

May 4th 2014, 23:04:53

They do braden. I learned all 50 states, their state flags, flowers, birds, baseball teams and the quaint habits of their wiped out native tribes.

iScode Game profile

May 4th 2014, 23:20:57

"United States: Country or Continent?"

united states is a country

North America and South America are continents

'Amercians' = any person who lives in the north or south american continent.

No you tube clip will convince me otherwise.
iScode
God of War

DEATH TO SOV!

Angel1 Game profile

May 4th 2014, 23:36:52

Raise your hand, how many people actually watched the You Tube video?

*Raises hand*

The United States is officially called the "United States of America". While people may refer to the USA by many other names, its one and only official name is the "United States of America".

What should Americans be called? United Statesians? That sounds awful...and it might tick off the United Statesians that hail from the United Mexican States. Perhaps we should be known as New Yorkers, Pennsylvanians, South Carolinans, Tennesseans? No, that's reserved for when Americans are talking to each other. "Estadounidense" to refer to Americans is perfectly fine in Spanish, but it doesn't make since when translated literally into English.

This isn't some super nationalistic conspiracy to lay claim to the word "America".This is simply a natural evolution from a reasonable effort to categorize the world in a way that has some meaning. To that end, some people argue that North America is only Canada, the United States, and Mexico & that Central America is more properly considered as it's own continent like Europe is frequently considered its own continent. Geographically, do we want to study the continent of Afroeurasia? Africa is, afterall, connected to Europe by 102 Miles of the Suez Canal compared to 139 miles connecting Panama to Columbia. Ultimately the argument over the continents could go on forever and not get anywhere. Neither is considering the word "America" without considering the language it's being spoken in going to go anywhere. We need to learn to translate for meaning and not just what words literally translate to.

If we choose to take offense because we choose not to translate words properly, then we're just setting ourselves up for an absolutely meaningless conflict.

Edited By: Angel1 on May 4th 2014, 23:39:50
-Angel1

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

May 4th 2014, 23:41:18

Originally posted by Heston:
Originally posted by Cerberus:

I thought you said he was a devout muslim bent on bringing shiria law. Werent you salty about being cut off from sucking michelles fluff? I mean fluff a duck. Just saying fluff that sounds insulting? You sound fluffing stupid.

When I want any fluff outta you, Heston, I'll squeeze your head.
I don't need anger management, people need to stop pissing me off!

ssewellusmc

May 4th 2014, 23:41:57

Originally posted by iScode:

Neither will common sense, knowledge or the basic understanding of the world.

braden Game profile

May 5th 2014, 0:15:53

you can be american as in of or relating to either of the two americas all while not being a citizen of the united states

we're splitting hairs, yes, but any further distinction doesn't really make the above untrue.

braden Game profile

May 5th 2014, 0:17:36

or is the pan american games games that fat americans play with bacon in a skillet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americas

but no, to answer whomever asked, i have yet to watch the video in the original post.

braden Game profile

May 5th 2014, 0:23:58

also, america, fluff ya,
here to save the mother fluffing day now,
america, fluff yea

Getafix Game profile

EE Patron

May 5th 2014, 0:46:05

I'm a US citizen, a Canadian citizen and a citizen of the U.K. I have valid passports for all three. But I have approximately zero patriotism.

braden Game profile

May 5th 2014, 0:53:13

but for two of the three you at least enjoy yourself some quality commonwealth??

braden Game profile

May 5th 2014, 0:53:49

(and may i ask, of the three, where do you reside and where do you pay taxes to- more than where you live?)

iScode Game profile

May 5th 2014, 1:16:10

Originally posted by ssewellusmc:

Neither will common sense, knowledge or the basic understanding of the world.

Common sense would say that anyone residing on the continent of North or South America would be considered an American

Knowledge would dictate that anyone coming from North or South America would be considered an American

Basic understanding of the world would show that anyone coming from North or South America would be considered American

Jesus its not like you are taking anything off you poor guys. You are still Americans, its just that other countries peoples are also considered Americans.

Stop being selfish.

On a side note, I gaurantee that I have much better understanding of the entire world than your entire ignorant jarhead battalion :P
iScode
God of War

DEATH TO SOV!

ssewellusmc

May 5th 2014, 1:21:04

You are relying on logic and knowledge that stoped being relevant circa 1918. Everyone in the developed world refers to U.S. citizen's as Americans.

If you want to split hairs and sound like an idiot, go ahead and refer to Canadians and Mexicans as North Americans.

I have been in over 40 countries. Everyone I met refers to us as Americans.

iScode Game profile

May 5th 2014, 1:22:28

I also refer to you as americans

Whats your point?
iScode
God of War

DEATH TO SOV!

ssewellusmc

May 5th 2014, 1:25:02

Not one credible person refers to Mexicans or Canadians as Americans.

Angel1 Game profile

May 5th 2014, 1:28:13

Originally posted by braden:
you can be american as in of or relating to either of the two americas all while not being a citizen of the united states

we're splitting hairs, yes, but any further distinction doesn't really make the above untrue.

You can also speak in other ways confusing to a lot of people, or you can choose to go with the norm and actually make your words have some meaning in English. Do you prefer to speak to be understood or speak to be misunderstood?

Pan is a prefix meaning "involving all members". In the case of the Pan American Games, the name comes from both the Spanish-language continent of "America" and the English-language reference to both North and South America as "the Americas". By putting the word/prefix "Pan" in the name, the organizers have effectively rendered all confusion null and void by delivering the same effective meaning in all the languages of the Pan American Games. In Spanish, adding "Pan" means that you're getting all of the countries of one continent. In English, adding "Pan" means that you're getting all of the countries of two continents. One message, one meaning, and two ways to get there.

Logic would dictate that anyone residing in North America or South America would be considered North Americans or South Americans. Easy, simple solution that involves no confusion. Though I do find it odd that it's acceptable to take Americans' national identity and just give it to all North Americans and South Americans. I suppose all Europeans may be called Germans.

Edited By: Angel1 on May 5th 2014, 1:30:56
-Angel1

iScode Game profile

May 5th 2014, 1:30:56

Not one credible person refers to Mexicans or Canadians as Americans.

That does not stop them from being Americans...

Is an Italian man not a European?

Is a Chinese man not Asian?

Is a Kenyan man not African?
iScode
God of War

DEATH TO SOV!

ssewellusmc

May 5th 2014, 1:36:13

Mexicans aren't Americans. Find me an published article in NZ that refers to Mexicans as Americans. They may refer to the Americas which would include our neighbors to the North and South, but won't call anyone American who is not from the U.S.A.

SAM_DANGER Game profile

May 5th 2014, 1:41:17

WHY DON'T WE COMPROMISE AND CALL IT A COUNTRINENT?

HA!

SAM
CHIEF DIPLOMAT,
THE MIGHTY CLAN [DANGER]!

braden Game profile

May 5th 2014, 1:41:59

Originally posted by Angel1:

You can also speak in other ways confusing to a lot of people, or you can choose to go with the norm and actually make your words have some meaning in English. Do you prefer to speak to be understood or speak to be misunderstood?

Pan is a prefix meaning "involving all members". In the case of the Pan American Games, the name comes from both the Spanish-language continent of "America" and the English-language reference to both North and South America as "the Americas". By putting the word/prefix "Pan" in the name, the organizers have effectively rendered all confusion null and void by delivering the same effective meaning in all the languages of the Pan American Games. In Spanish, adding "Pan" means that you're getting all of the countries of one continent. In English, adding "Pan" means that you're getting all of the countries of two continents. One message, one meaning, and two ways to get there.

Logic would dictate that anyone residing in North America or South America would be considered North Americans or South Americans. Easy, simple solution that involves no confusion. Though I do find it odd that it's acceptable to take Americans' national identity and just give it to all North Americans and South Americans. I suppose all Europeans may be called Germans.

i responded to you before you posted, it would appear. you have yet to refute this.

Getafix Game profile

EE Patron

May 5th 2014, 1:50:41

I am a celt. Arrrrrr mateys!

Angel1 Game profile

May 5th 2014, 1:53:17

Braden, what part of North American and South American do you not get?

You can't separate "North" from "American". You also can't separate "South" from "American". In the context that you're referring to someone from Bolivia as an "American", your saying that the person is from the continent of "America" which doesn't exist in the English language and therefore you're not making any sense. Calling that person a "South American" or saying that they're "from the Americas" actually makes sense because South America exists as a continent in the English language and the Americas exist as two continents and even more cultural regions (hence "Americas" being plural).
-Angel1

iScode Game profile

May 5th 2014, 2:00:04

Mexicans aren't Americans. Find me an published article in NZ that refers to Mexicans as Americans. They may refer to the Americas which would include our neighbors to the North and South, but won't call anyone American who is not from the U.S.A.

Mexicans are Americans

There country is part of North America

Just because no one commonly refers to them as Americans, does not mean me calling them an American would be wrong

Just because you dont like the truth , does not mean it is not the truth.
iScode
God of War

DEATH TO SOV!

ssewellusmc

May 5th 2014, 2:06:59

They may be NORTH Americans. They are not Americans. You are wrong.

Just because you eat lead paint, doesn't mean you are right.

iScode Game profile

May 5th 2014, 2:12:11

Sorry mate but the are Americans.

Deal with it buddy, USA is not the only country full of Americans, and no amount of propaganda bullfluff or military brainwashing will make what you think you know be correct.

You dirty smelly American
iScode
God of War

DEATH TO SOV!

Angel1 Game profile

May 5th 2014, 2:16:44

Sorry mate but the are Americans.

Deal with it buddy, USA is not the only country full of Americans, and no amount of propaganda bullfluff or military brainwashing will make what you think you know be correct.

You dirty smelly American

You can choose to be confusing or you can choose not to be confusing, the choice is yours to make. However, you should know that if you refer to a Canadian as an "American", then I'm going to think that you mean they reside in one of the fifty states or the capital of the United States of America. A lot of people are going to think that's what you mean. Do you want to understood or misunderstood? That choice is also yours.
-Angel1

iScode Game profile

May 5th 2014, 2:21:39

personally I normally refer to them as Canadian

All i am saying it technically they are Americans too.

This all started with a wise crack at Braden, and Scott taking offense and me trolling from there, I am even surprised a whole other thread was created lol

I guess Scott is so much like those dirty mexicans that me saying they are technically Americans hits a bit too close to home for him.
iScode
God of War

DEATH TO SOV!

ssewellusmc

May 5th 2014, 2:25:33

Scodes, by your logic, we can call people from China European.... they are on two separate continents, but who gives a fluff, they are Europeans.

God must have ran out of viable brains the day he made you.

ssewellusmc

May 5th 2014, 2:27:17

P.S. your jelousy of America is readily apparent.

Angel1 Game profile

May 5th 2014, 2:28:19

personally I normally refer to them as Canadian

All i am saying it technically they are Americans too.

This all started with a wise crack at Braden, and Scott taking offense and me trolling from there, I am even surprised a whole other thread was created lol

I guess Scott is so much like those dirty mexicans that me saying they are technically Americans hits a bit too close to home for him.

Technically they are from the Americas or North American. Perhaps we could even say that they are "Pan-American", but that's really gets confusing because we don't have demonyms for referring to being from either one continent or another.
-Angel1

iScode Game profile

May 5th 2014, 2:34:23

Scodes, by your logic, we can call people from China European.... they are on two separate continents, but who gives a fluff, they are Europeans.

God must have ran out of viable brains the day he made you.

how so mexico and USA are on the same continent

or you been told otherwise by the military?
iScode
God of War

DEATH TO SOV!

ssewellusmc

May 5th 2014, 2:42:46

You.wouldn't call A German a peon.... because you have shortened it from europeon to peon. Same reason a North American isn't an American.

You are lumping South America into the mix as Americans. For the same reason you woukdnt call a chinaman a europeon, you wouldnt call a Brazilian an American.

We are the United States of AMERICA... hence we are the only Americans from the North and South America continent.

You would be a complete foolv if you think the military would propagate or create a conspiracy about mexicans not being American. The facts are already there to support it. They have much better things to do, like build more aircraft carriers (so we can have more aircraft carriers than the next 10 countries combined instead of the current 8 or 9).