Verified:

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Mar 9th 2021, 16:52:37

I doubt you even been in a proper war.

I war and I net. I do think the game need changes to make both more interesting but one thing that isnt making it more interesting is people like you trying to short circuit netting competition and stopping wars from happening.

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Mar 9th 2021, 17:47:19

The goal of the game is to get the highest networth. It is not a war game. It has never been a war game.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 9th 2021, 18:07:11

You need to change the wording of the intro then.

Earth Empires is a free browser based strategy game where you take control of your nation's military and economy. Command your country's military to attack and defend against your enemies. Execute attack strategies to relieve opponents of their resources and land. Strategically invest in technology to outpace the economies of other countries. Ally with your friends or make new friendships by joining a clan. Conduct military operations, govern your country and build your empire.

Continuing the legacy of Earth:2025 - one of the first massive multiplayer browser games - Earth Empires brings a fresh new spin to a classic style of gaming.

Create an account and start playing now!

🤷
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Mar 9th 2021, 18:29:15

I don't see why where it contradicts that. I heard this arguement over the years and read that over and over again and there is nothing there that suggests what the purpose of the game is, just what tools/options/capabilities you have at your disposal.

If you interpret
"Command your country's military to attack and defend against your enemies. Execute attack strategies to relieve opponents of their resources and land."
AND
"Conduct military operations"

As commands to make war you have to interpret

"Strategically invest in technology to outpace the economies of other countries."
AND
"build your empire"

As commands to netgain.

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Mar 9th 2021, 18:31:12

Conflict between players certainly has its place in the game insofar as only one country can finish in first place. There are many different methods of gaining networth by taking resources from other players such market buyouts, landgrabs, and spy ops. That doesn't make it a "war game". When people claim that it's a "war game", what they usually mean is that they want to grief other players without limits.

I'd even go so far as to say that it's totally legitimate for the guy in second place to GS away the bushel stock of the guy in first place if the second place player thinks that taking that risk would secure him the win. Express style GDI does restrict that style of play which is unfortunate. Historically speaking, pre-emptive special attacks on solo servers are almost never used that way. They are used to make trouble and to ruin the fun of other players.

Edited By: Slagpit on Mar 9th 2021, 19:02:32
See Original Post

BlueCow

Mar 9th 2021, 18:54:44

Could special attacks be disabled on these solo servers?
Slag 12 - Chevs -15

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Mar 9th 2021, 19:02:20

That would be even more restrictive than the current style of GDI, right? I don't want special attacks to be disabled on solo servers. Sometimes the other guy just needs a good ABing.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 9th 2021, 19:12:37

Originally posted by Gerdler:
I don't see why where it contradicts that. I heard this arguement over the years and read that over and over again and there is nothing there that suggests what the purpose of the game is, just what tools/options/capabilities you have at your disposal.

If you interpret
"Command your country's military to attack and defend against your enemies. Execute attack strategies to relieve opponents of their resources and land."
AND
"Conduct military operations"

As commands to make war you have to interpret

"Strategically invest in technology to outpace the economies of other countries."
AND
"build your empire"

As commands to netgain.

It implies war no matter how thick of a sugar coat you apply, nobody in their right mind will give up land knowing that's the foundation for the creation of wealth, if you take my land I will take it back <---- this is subject to escalation thus implies war is likely. Now.... If land comes from only trading and exploring then you eliminate the possibility of war and you can use other commodities as networth generators instead of troops, jets, turrets and tanks.

😉
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)

Tmac Game profile

Mar 9th 2021, 19:59:06

My question would be, why are there rankings if netting isn't the goal? Even in war, how do you decide the winner? The one with a higher nw wins. My goal is 1st. If I get into a war, my goal is to still to get as much nw as possible.

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Mar 9th 2021, 20:08:53

Wars are great. You can have conflict and decide to settle it on the battlefield say if one guy decides to retal twice over one hit, or one guy doesnt accept a retal or something like that. Or just decide to hit each others from some day and see who wins out in the end. Ofc winner is decided by who has most NW since after all the goal of war is to reduce/take the enemies resources, and NW is a albeit imperfect, measure of all your resources, especially after you have spent your liquid assets in the end. :)

Also. If Im sitting in R2 and I 2 minutes left and I know I will win if I send my cruise missiles on R1, reason Im not doing it nowadays is because the win matters less to me than the mutual respect with the other guy, and perhaps to a degree also the fear of retaliation. I totally think it is a legit play tho, and if others do it to me I wont say its a bad game design I will just say its a well executed endgame.

Griefing is totally different than that. It's when you are R14 with no hope of benefitting and hitting R1 just to feel impactful/because you dislike him/jealousy/to piss him off or another similar reason. This is considered an issue in many games, and also in this game for good reason. It's why we have this type of GDI here on primary and express, griefing short-circuited the competition more times than not.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 9th 2021, 20:13:14

Originally posted by Tmac:
My question would be, why are there rankings if netting isn't the goal? Even in war, how do you decide the winner? The one with a higher nw wins. My goal is 1st. If I get into a war, my goal is to still to get as much nw as possible.

You misunderstood me, I agree with netting being the success form of measurement, but war is a big part of the game, avoiding wars is the key to success in this game.
(•_•)

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 9th 2021, 20:22:19

Originally posted by Gerdler:
Wars are great. You can have conflict and decide to settle it on the battlefield say if one guy decides to retal twice over one hit, or one guy doesnt accept a retal or something like that. Or just decide to hit each others from some day and see who wins out in the end. Ofc winner is decided by who has most NW since after all the goal of war is to reduce/take the enemies resources, and NW is a albeit imperfect, measure of all your resources, especially after you have spent your liquid assets in the end. :)

Also. If Im sitting in R2 and I 2 minutes left and I know I will win if I send my cruise missiles on R1, reason Im not doing it nowadays is because the win matters less to me than the mutual respect with the other guy, and perhaps to a degree also the fear of retaliation. I totally think it is a legit play tho, and if others do it to me I wont say its a bad game design I will just say its a well executed endgame.

Griefing is totally different than that. It's when you are R14 with no hope of benefitting and hitting R1 just to feel impactful/because you dislike him/jealousy/to piss him off or another similar reason. This is considered an issue in many games, and also in this game for good reason. It's why we have this type of GDI here on primary and express, griefing short-circuited the competition more times than not.

I agree and like the balancing act we need to do in order to achieve the ultimate goal of winning the round, sometimes wars are inevitable especially when you have people out to get you and yes it is very easy to ruin another person's set using the tools of war, quite frankly it would be boring if you can't blow fluff up 😝
(•_•)

Tmac Game profile

Mar 9th 2021, 20:26:01

Originally posted by KoHeartsGPA:

You misunderstood me, I agree with netting being the success form of measurement, but war is a big part of the game, avoiding wars is the key to success in this game.

I agree. War is fun too, but I'm still netting imo. I always thought the best netter has the most potential to also be the best at war.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 9th 2021, 20:35:26

Originally posted by KoHeartsGPA:

I agree. War is fun too, but I'm still netting imo. I always thought the best netter has the most potential to also be the best at war.

Agreed, the transition from net to war is easy as long as you stay composed and think it through, I learned that last year in LaF or year before, think before, when we got blindsided by SoF, I don't think we had one single war built country and while the FS was rough on us we still managed to turn the tide through careful planning and transitioning to war mode, that for me was the best set I've ever been a part of including all the FFA years of warring, it toped it by a mile 👍
(•_•)

Molotov Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 9th 2021, 21:33:34

Originally posted by Slagpit:

I'd even go so far as to say that it's totally legitimate for the guy in second place to GS away the bushel stock of the guy in first place if the second place player thinks that taking that risk would secure him the win. Express style GDI does restrict that style of play which is unfortunate. Historically speaking, pre-emptive special attacks on solo servers are almost never used that way. They are used to make trouble and to ruin the fun of other players.
I've done that with bomb banks before when the top guy had 0 spies and $2b+... :P

My spies still managed to get caught a few times and I ate a bunch of missiles. Hah

LightBringer Game profile

Mar 10th 2021, 0:15:37

Well glad that’s over. Great set all!!
I don’t know how you guys predicted me to get rank 3 when I was sitting in 68k acres, and running high techs all set. Also re: retals, it’s hard to send missiles when I’m sabotaging them all away, I preemptively sabotaged well over 100 missiles over the course of the set, couldn’t do that if I was gdi. I avoided hitting targets with high spal and missiles, or if they were in gdi themselves I would stick to 1 grab, so their gdi would protect me. Also in regards to #58, isn’t that archaic that had a whinge about me sabotaging his missiles early in the set? So ask him why he didn’t hit me, you’ll probably find humanitarians were a problem.

Edit: for all those messaging me saying I was Gerdler.. I clearly was not.
Hello

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Mar 10th 2021, 0:20:35

Originally posted by LightBringer:
for all those messaging me saying I was Gerdler.. I clearly was not.

Unconfirmed.

Rob Game profile

Mar 10th 2021, 0:22:36

Congrats. Very well played & a great finish.

Was the non GDI by choice?

DeLpHiNuS Game profile

Mar 10th 2021, 0:29:17

Originally posted by LightBringer:
Well glad that’s over. Great set all!!
I don’t know how you guys predicted me to get rank 3 when I was sitting in 68k acres, and running high techs all set. Also re: retals, it’s hard to send missiles when I’m sabotaging them all away, I preemptively sabotaged well over 100 missiles over the course of the set, couldn’t do that if I was gdi. I avoided hitting targets with high spal and missiles, or if they were in gdi themselves I would stick to 1 grab, so their gdi would protect me. Also in regards to #58, isn’t that archaic that had a whinge about me sabotaging his missiles early in the set? So ask him why he didn’t hit me, you’ll probably find humanitarians were a problem.

Edit: for all those messaging me saying I was Gerdler.. I clearly was not.

Congrats dadali.. u definitely are not gerdler cos ur country always start with a "d" and u play commie haha.. congrats on ur win.. I guess this is ur 1st win here? I didn't keep track on all the hits u made, just spotted some with decent missiles (can't remember if they had gdi or not) from some of the targets u hit (cos some are what I hit also) and if u had made the effort to remove the missiles from some of them, then that deserves the applaud..

Mar 10th 2021, 0:31:00

Straight answer, no, but, I thought eff it, I’m just gonna send it, and take advantage of it. My closest previous finish was 2nd by only like 700k, with a country like 60mil smaller then this one lol.
Hello

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 10th 2021, 0:39:43

Congrats LB you also hold the highest NW achieved by non GDI 👍
(•_•)

Molotov Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 10th 2021, 1:31:03

Ah so when he topfeeds me every reset he's anonymous but when he wins he's Lightbringer :P

Congrats lb!

Penguinbeng Game profile

Mar 10th 2021, 1:36:59

Congrats Daddy Koh, I knew you could do it!

Mar 10th 2021, 2:07:38

Haha. Sorry about that Molotov, it’s nothing personal. I’ll pace it back now that I finally got the win, might even try something other then CI!
Hello

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Mar 10th 2021, 13:26:12

Originally posted by Slagpit:
The goal of the game is to get the highest networth. It is not a war game. It has never been a war game.

This is true, but that leaves it open to interpretation as to how you get the highest NW, perhaps kill your foe and take their spot?

#banTheWarRoomButtons

:D

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Mar 10th 2021, 17:33:07

Thats not a plausible hypothetical if we are talking primary. That you could hit someone to leapfrog them I would believe is possible at times. It's not common and would require a low oil price or broken GDI, bad def allies and preferably low weaps+med and/or govt advantage.