Verified:

LittleItaly Game profile

Game Moderator
Alliance, FFA, & Cooperation

May 6th 2020, 14:44:12

I dont know if anyone here can help but....

A couple months ago I bought and installed "Utilitech Canless Color Choice Integrated LED" from Lowes, and they have worked for months. We have 5 total. We have 3 light switches - 2 that turn off the center lights, and 1 that turns off 4 lights. There are no dimmer switches. The canless boxes have a slider to change between different brightness (2700k, etc).

Last night, I unscrewed 3 of the lights to make it easier to paint the ceiling. I go to screw them back in. At first, light "A" doesnt turn on all the way. It faintly blinks. I check the slider and move it back and forth, and put it up a level. I turn it back on, and this then causes light "B" to turn on all the way, but blinks. I turn all the lights off, and decide to check all the sliders. A couple were not on 2700k as I thought. So now they are all on 2700k. I flip the switch that turns on 4 lights, and the lights turn on. I turn that off, and go flip the switch that turns on the center light "C". I leave it on, and turn on the switch for the 4 lights, and some times light "D" doesnt turn on while light "C" is on. I have to turn the switch off then back on again to get the light to light up.

If enough time passes, and i go to turn on center light "C" on, it doesnt always turn on the first time i flip the light switch. Have to turn that on and off as well. It seems like if the lights are left off for a while the issues occur.

Any ideas of what the heck is going on?
LittleItaly
SOL Vet
-Discord: LittleItaly#2905
-IRC: irc.scourge.se #sol
-Apply today @ http://sol.ghqnet.com for Alliance

ZEN Game profile

EE Patron

May 6th 2020, 15:16:19

So, I am not an electrician by trade (my background is in LV). But we do both at my company.

What our electrician said (they aren't 100% familiar with these specific lights):

1. This was their number 1 guess. Is there anything else on the load that the lights are on? If you are close to what the line can take, when plugging in the lights it surges and could cause all of the problems you mentioned. But shouldn't be an issue when they are running normally.

2. Loose wiring.

3. Check any connections just in case.

4. Dimming switches (which I know you mentioned there are none).

5. Overheating (not common they said)

LittleItaly Game profile

Game Moderator

May 6th 2020, 15:53:04

Thanks, everything runs / branches out from light "B", so maybe some how... some way maybe unscrewing the canless light caused connections in the box to be loosened. Heres the link to the light im talking about.

https://www.lowes.com/...ssed-DownLight/1001771926

Edited By: LittleItaly on May 6th 2020, 16:01:27
See Original Post
LittleItaly
SOL Vet

ZEN Game profile

EE Patron

May 6th 2020, 19:50:09

He got back to me finally.

So he said he hasn't installed those in particular, but he knows the gist. It pulls less than 1 amp between all 5 lights, so he doesn't think its a load problem from your panel (unless you had like half your appliances on the same circuit).

He said just go through the wiring and connections. Probably not a product problem.

LittleItaly Game profile

Game Moderator

May 7th 2020, 1:18:55

There must be something wrong with light "B"'s junction box. When i wave my hand in front its like a strobe effect. I've redone the wirenuts, still no avail.

Also the center light is on a different breaker too.

Edited By: LittleItaly on May 7th 2020, 3:21:52
See Original Post
LittleItaly
SOL Vet

Banks Game profile

EE Patron

May 7th 2020, 22:53:43

Curious, you on a grounded circuit? And.. is there a reset button on that main box?

Drow Game profile

May 7th 2020, 23:34:59

sounds like a bad connection somewhere, though I'm certainly no electrician. I do work with stage and moving head lighting on occasion however.

Paradigm President of failed speeling

LittleItaly Game profile

Game Moderator

May 8th 2020, 0:31:37

yup the 3 ground wires are all twisted together, and i even made sure to use a nut thats just for ground. im at a loss, i untwisted and retwisted / wirenutted all back together. used new wirenuts. they all appear to be twisted together just fine. i have an electrician coming tuesday.

The thing that throws me off is the center light is on a separate breaker but it acts up too. it just doesnt make any sense.

Edited By: LittleItaly on May 8th 2020, 0:35:22
LittleItaly
SOL Vet

Banks Game profile

EE Patron

May 9th 2020, 9:05:58

Cool. Let us know what the issue was. I'm thinking of those lights for my basement...

Wronghouse Game profile

May 11th 2020, 3:36:40

Have you turned it off and turned it back on again?

/me RUNS!

LittleItaly Game profile

Game Moderator

May 12th 2020, 20:51:44

they fixed the wiring (was reversed which was original to the house) and the box transformers are malfunctioning. so basically the lights from lowes are garbage. since the center light is not connected to the other 4 in any way, the wiring isnt to blame... the lights are. they were barely used within 60 days of being installed.
LittleItaly
SOL Vet

commander1972 Game profile

May 12th 2020, 23:28:06

case closed, move this dribble to general talk

Drow Game profile

May 18th 2020, 13:42:53

so free replacements then?

Paradigm President of failed speeling