Verified:

Marthaen Game profile

Apr 11th 2016, 11:55:07

I initially posted in the "final countdown" thread, but I got thinking people may overlook it not aware of the significance.

It is with great sadness that I have to share the news of Dan's passing. After a months long battle with Pancreatic cancer, he passed away Saturday. Services are being held today, but he will always be in our thoughts. The only condolence is that his suffering is at an end.

Dan was a great guy, and after randomly deciding we should play paintball together one day (Dan was 59 at the time, so he turned a few heads with the long beard and gruff demeanor), we grew to become great friends. It will certainly be far different without him around, but he wouldn't want any of us to dwell on what could of been, but rather to revel in what was and to continue his legacy of mischief along our travels.

Edited By: Marthaen on Apr 11th 2016, 15:57:38
See Original Post

Forgotten

Apr 11th 2016, 12:23:16

To me, Don Dangerous Dan was LaF's silent guardian.

Dan always put the Alliance first, whatever we needed, whenever we needed, he was on it before we even had to ask. During netgaining resets, he was on the look out for the rest of us, always looking for threats from untag suiciders and being ready for them. If one was to show up, Dan would almost certainly be the one to get the OPs and start hammering down the suicider. When LaF had to war, that was when Dan shined the most, without anyone noticing. Dan would grab clean OPs from our opponents to prep for FS before we even thought of it, I think it has gotten to a point where we don't ever question it, we know the OPs are going to be there when we look. Dan would always be there when we needed fresh OPs or demos during kill runs, he holds his turns waiting, waiting to see what OPs are needed to be done, he would rather hang around for hours, than to use his turns up and leave.

These, are the dirty jobs that not many loved to do, some people love being the breakers and seeing big numbers, some people loved mid-breaking to ensure participation and balance of the country, and then there are the cherry pickers who want to rack up kills. Then, there's DD, who probably spends most of his time refreshing OPs and getting us key demos on targets.

Outside of game play, Dan was an even better friend, there are countless times of joy and entertainment in the random chats of IRC. Most of which are probably buried deep in my memory, but the faint hint of those long nights of randomness, is already more than enough to put a smile on my face. I never had a chance to meet him IRL, but I imagine that he is every bit of the DD that we knew, and more.

RIP friend, keep the pies warm and we will come face them one day.
~LaF's Retired Janitor~

trumper Game profile

Apr 11th 2016, 14:42:48

Damn, I was hoping the no news is good news on the other thread. Fn cancer. I'm glad he had the opportunity to be part lf the community even though I didn't know him well. May he rip.

Don TOB Game profile

Apr 11th 2016, 16:01:48

Way to bad.
Rest in peace my friend u will be missed by me and u even helped LaF with pacting Dan was a model of how LaFers should be

Edited By: Don TOB on Apr 11th 2016, 19:37:09
See Original Post

Marshal Game profile

Apr 11th 2016, 19:49:15

R.I.P

didn't knew you much but you made funny posts.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

KillerdragonMD Game profile

Apr 12th 2016, 0:44:43

RIP Dangerous Dan.

I played with him a long time ago in MD where he lead the raider group (killing suiciders during netting sets) and I very much enjoyed working with him. He taught me a great deal about the game and life and to see him pass away from a miserable disease is pretty sad.
Even so, it sounds like he died with great dignity and with comfort. Having seen a number of people die (or "not die" on various machines and at various degrees of anguish), there is little more that anyone can ask for.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 12th 2016, 2:46:48

Even though it was expected for some time this is still really sad that it's come to pass. :(

He was one of the old school LaF'ers who was with us through thick and thin. One of those guys that got along with everyone and made it a better place.

RIP Don DangerousDan.
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

En4cer Game profile

Apr 12th 2016, 7:49:47

I had to take some time to be able to write this because even though I knew it was coming I really didn't want it to be so.

Dan was one of the few guys that truly embodied what it meant to be part of Lafamiglia.... love us or hate us. He always played for the team and was never one to be selfish. As eluded to earlier he has been our resident spy guy every single set since he came over to us (don't quote me on it ... like 6-7 years ago) as a netter he worked really closely with us every set (especially late in the set) to help keep us in the loop to see what was going on in the other alliances better countries. For a long time there he thought of himself as incapable of netting and was just happy to be part of The Family - being a little older and somewhat stubborn I did still convince him he could net and we still managed to teach him how to finish in the t100 and carry a spal of 100 =)

Despite the age gap, the man was most definitely on my "will have a beer with if I ever find myself travelling in your direction list"

A friend to many of us there in LaF... we will forever remember you.

Much Love & Rest in Peace

Don DangerousDan

Red X Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express & Team

Apr 13th 2016, 2:24:27

I'm not any good at these posts. You will be missed, you was a legend, and I wish I would have came back sooner. I enjoyed our chats just wish we could have had more of them.

I'm glad you're not in pain anymore; however, I hurt for your family.

Your family is in my prayers.
My attitude is that of a Hulk smash
Mixed with Tony Montana snortin' bags of his coke stash
http://nbkffa.ghqnet.com

Vic Game profile

Apr 15th 2016, 1:29:34

Originally posted by Don TOB:
Way to bad.
Rest in peace my friend u will be missed by me and u even helped LaF with pacting Dan was a model of how LaFers should be

Tobbie says it perfectly. Dan knew what it was all about. Rest in peace DD. thoughts and prayers to the entire family

Akula Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 17th 2016, 19:05:14

very sorry to hear of Dan's passing :(
=============================
"Astra inclinant, sed non obligant"

SOL http://sol.ghqnet.com/
=============================

Raging Budda Game profile

Apr 20th 2016, 2:32:36

Never knew the guy, but from reading this posts, the game of earth lost a great player and a great person. I'm sure that was reflected in his real life as well.
Your base is mine!

Boltar Game profile

Apr 22nd 2016, 4:13:06

Very sad moment. I loved talking to him. He will be greatly missed. I regret not spending more time with him talking. He was a great person. Rest in peace my old friend

Sincerely

Boltar

Ruthie

Apr 25th 2016, 16:57:21

Sorry to hear this :(

RIP Dan
~Ruthless~
Ragnaroks EEVIL Lady

Y-NoT Game profile

Apr 30th 2016, 5:10:31

This is too sudden. I saw LAFers come up with names on DD but thought more like it was an honour for his netting achievements like LaF always did. Never really thought of him passing away. Our raiding days always in my memories DD!

RIP

Kat Game profile

May 6th 2016, 22:04:39

This game is made up of legends. It's all too real that we've lost yet another one. I didn't know you personally, but you will be sorely missed.

RIP

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

May 9th 2016, 3:16:47

Just as a quick update from some of the related posts inside the LaF site -> Marth got in touch with Dan's family and was able to convey our condolences and let them know that Dan was a cherished member who will be missed by many.
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Sov Game profile

May 9th 2016, 12:57:55

I had the honor over many sets in recent years of having DD in my warchats. He was always one of the first people I could turn to for my spy ops etc and was always a great guy to talk to.

My deepest sympathies to his friends and family.

crischew Game profile

May 13th 2016, 0:36:25

R.I.P Buddy!

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

May 13th 2016, 16:26:51

RIP DD I saw this post on LaF forums and was pretty sad about it as I chatted with him quite a bit a few years back. He was a good guy.

Syko_Killa Game profile

May 16th 2016, 4:06:29

Rest In Heaven Dangerous Dan. I emailed his brother, he said Dan was the most amazing brother he could have ever asked for. I'm sure Dans Soul is in Transit.
Do as I say, not as I do.

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

May 19th 2016, 17:33:46

RIP bro, I ain''t too far behind you. Certainly closer than I ever was in the game. LOL

I don't need anger management, people need to stop pissing me off!

Forgotten

May 30th 2016, 4:22:27

I miss DD
~LaF's Retired Janitor~

SolidSnake Game profile

May 31st 2016, 20:27:44

Oh damn. RIP DD, you'll be sorely missed.

Thore Game profile

Jun 9th 2016, 2:51:10

Sorry to see this!
Sof.earthgraphs.com

The original Warho Game profile

EE Patron

Jun 13th 2016, 5:50:56

Sad news!

PG Game profile

Jun 14th 2016, 10:44:11

Ahh danm =( Nekkid =/

Sad to read this =( My thoughts goes out to his family
RIVAL
MSN/E-mail:
EE inside message

http://i.imgur.com/BFg5Y.jpg

locket Game profile

Jul 4th 2016, 7:27:56

Sad news on my random check of EE. Was a fun guy.