Verified:

mFrost Game profile

May 16th 2015, 6:29:47

I am considering creating an online war room, and just wondering from experience what works and what does not work?

If it was your war room what would you want it to include?

I suppose this is more for those who have coordinate wars, and have led warchats...

----------------------------

What type of data feeds, calculators, management type infrastructure would you say is critical, nice to have, and/or overkill.
--- are data feed API keys still available, or would this have to use uploaded view source type pages?

--- if open source, would coldfusion, asp, work, or should I go out of my way to program it in php up front? Thinking standalone embeddable into existing clan sites. would prefer coldfusion but not many peeps run CFservers.

anywho let me know if there is any interest in something like this.

mFrost

Marshal Game profile

May 16th 2015, 10:23:05

you need bot which alerts and possibly sends email/sms if some1 in tag (or certain tags) gets attacked and also shows breaks to few different weapon tech levels besides raw break and other things.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

mFrost Game profile

May 17th 2015, 6:11:10

hmm a real time data feed may be an issue, as far as sending email, probably not even the SMS is pretty straight forward. Uploaded spyops can take care of showing breaks, a simple table format for gov type and weapons tech, can easily take the raw break and output the different breaks.

reading the forums it sounds like people would have a hard time updating current break during a KR, as fast as they go. A real time data feed, may be able to do this automatically based on number of successful hits. Possibly auto stop a KR if too many bounces.

what is useful .. killrun stuff may be harder to implement or make useful if countries die in 30 seconds. maybe pre-war prep or post war stats is a better fit?

Marshal Game profile

May 17th 2015, 10:14:43

unsuccessful attacks lower break too.

yep autostop if 3-5 bounces in row in the middle of kr.

post-killrun stats might not be that meaningful (its just a nice niche to see how many hits it took that country died and how long it took).

mFrost Game profile

May 17th 2015, 22:44:22

Post killrun was useful for leaders, when handing out awards, most civies killed, # of country kills, most hits in a reset. It could also show how fast a member is hitting, or things of that nature.

Pre-war stuff would probably be useful, in setting up the flow so breakers can be in one room, while mid range hitters are in another room, and finishers are in a third room. Sort of like an automated queue that moves the countries based on their current break. A leader could setup the order to hit countries in, and as the break falls it auto moves to the next group. The only problem I would have is how to communicate this back to the IRC, I just do not see IRC being replaced for kill runs, due to its efficiency. Unless the war room had a a way of getting a news bot (rss type) feed of sorts.

for the bounce, it comes down to an ability to notify those hitting to stop. perhaps a rule that simply say after second bounce check war room or something simple. I do not know if it would be possible to create something that would flash in the browser as an alert. If that is possible then having the break broadcast into the browser as a member hit would probably be cool.

things to think about and research...

Marshal Game profile

May 17th 2015, 23:58:54

leaders see hitstats on alliance hosting sites and newssites (assuming there are boths).

hitters in different groups and on different rooms sounds complicated and unnecessary.

broadcasting things to players browsers requires most likely browser plugin or browser dedicated (made by you for example) just for that thing.

mFrost Game profile

May 18th 2015, 1:44:00

yeah that is why I am figuring there is not much to improve over IRC as far as the kill run itself is concerned.

if hit stats are pretty much covered by hosting sites, then all that is really left is a pre-war setup or overall war manager.

unless players have additional ideas, or things they have run into in the past, and wished it existed to make life easier.

pre war would probably need to have some analysis tools to go thru and look at country growth rates, playtime, using spy ops, to determine tech% vs defense%, offense% vs defense% -- more or less determine the distribution of net worth, without having to spy the country. Identify countries by their structure to understand, which countries would be breakers, spy countries. Perhaps projection analysis to see what would occur based on various market conditions.

just ideas for now

mFrost Game profile

May 19th 2015, 0:42:22

Originally posted by Marshal:
you need bot which alerts and possibly sends email/sms if some1 in tag (or certain tags) gets attacked and also shows breaks to few different weapon tech levels besides raw break and other things.

as far as an attack calculator, I was thinking something along these lines:

http://i.imgur.com/oh5Rlkb.png

Adding:
it shows the amount of units to send, as a monarchy with no weapons tech.
A second page could be filled in by someone attacking which would modify the raw break based on their govType, offAllies, and weapons tech.

Edited By: mFrost on May 19th 2015, 0:51:22
See Original Post

elvesrus

May 21st 2015, 5:40:02

I'll be nice and only say you forgot defensive bonuses
Originally posted by crest23:
Elves is a douche on every server.

Marshal Game profile

May 21st 2015, 15:55:13

def bonus doesn't add much to break and 10% oversend pretty much negates it (unless target has really invested on def bonus).

mFrost Game profile

May 22nd 2015, 1:51:20

Does a spy op show if a country has a def bonus? I have not seen it but then I was not looking for it either.

I can add a simple function to calc it in if I know what that percentage is. If it is not in the spy op though figuring it out blind may be a bit of a challenge.

maybe start from turns used and start deducting ... regular turns, if gdi then free gdi else 0, divide remaining turns with cost of def bonus = max def bonus.

Marshal Game profile

May 22nd 2015, 16:05:00

normal spyop shows it (and other bonuses) but uploaded op doesn't (at least not in boxcar).

max def bonus is impossible to get (800 points needed and 2 months server gives 480 + 32 points (in actuality bit less)) on any normal server.

Edited By: Marshal on May 22nd 2015, 16:09:50

braden Game profile

May 22nd 2015, 22:23:08

i read the title as what makes a good woman?

my answer was, of course; reading comprehension, clavicles to die for, and knows when to shut and when to open her mouth.

elvesrus

May 31st 2015, 9:26:57

normal spyop shows it (and other bonuses) but uploaded op doesn't (at least not in boxcar).

max def bonus is impossible to get (800 points needed and 2 months server gives 480 + 32 points (in actuality bit less)) on any normal server.

ghq shows it ;)

Marshal Game profile

May 31st 2015, 15:34:00

so does prolly lks and mch too.

elvesrus

Jun 1st 2015, 16:52:42

haven't been to lks in quite some time. I should ask breeze if I still have an account.

archaic Game profile

Jun 1st 2015, 17:06:04

so, why exactly are we trying to reinvent the wheel here? if you want to see what makes a good war room, join MD or Sol or Sof. Theyve spent almost 20 years hashing this out.
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

Marshal Game profile

Jun 1st 2015, 19:14:59

he wants to make his own.

elvesrus

Jun 1st 2015, 19:28:46

he wants to reinvent the wheel and add 17 attachments that need to be used in order for it to work.

Marshal Game profile

Jun 1st 2015, 20:24:58

basically.

simpliest warroom doesn't need much bots (if tie + etc vs rage + etc war ~10 years ago had had same bots as now it'd been totally different kind of war) while most sophisticated has alert, phone/email/sms and warbot(s).

elvesrus

Jun 1st 2015, 20:59:07

not to mention only 3 governments in current bots if they give specialized breaks: dict, rep, and other.

Marshal Game profile

Jun 1st 2015, 21:17:03

that's included in warbot.

sol's bot gives breaks by different weap (100-180%).

elvesrus

Jun 1st 2015, 21:51:44

think the one I'm used to had 3 different columns for the break and the 4th (really first) a percentage.

then again I don't really have much bot exposure.

that thing up there is also the worst grab calc I've ever seen. this is how you do a grab calc http://i11.photobucket.com/...s/a193/elvesrus/break.png

Marshal Game profile

Jun 2nd 2015, 14:38:28

this is what i use: http://i58.tinypic.com/efgqqh.jpg

wazmo's was nice since could just paste htmls into there.

elvesrus

Jun 3rd 2015, 0:22:43

wazmo's stuff was great.

The best part about ghq's is pulling info directly from ops. I've even spied my allies just to be even lazier with it :)

mFrost Game profile

Jun 3rd 2015, 3:10:39

this is what i use: http://i58.tinypic.com/efgqqh.jpg

wazmo's was nice since could just paste htmls into there.

that is actually pretty nice... the one I was showing was more of a back end lookup matrix. The front end input and output can be very simple. Many years ago I used to use Reptiles' break calc for what if scenarios and then comwood's/silent sentinels break calc. Which is where the matrix idea above was born out of. but ultimately the output would be based on known parameters so no need for all the additional data on the front end.

--------------
spyop uploads has some drawbacks unless its a clan server, for a solo server they would need to be destroyed after the session or country info erased to keep things anonymous.

--------------

beyond just a grab calculator what type of features would be needed, is really what I'm after.

mFrost

mFrost Game profile

Jun 3rd 2015, 3:18:58

Originally posted by elvesrus:
wazmo's stuff was great.

The best part about ghq's is pulling info directly from ops. I've even spied my allies just to be even lazier with it :)

that would be nice, I can see where something like that is useful. I do know the clan hosting sites or specific clan sites have their own war rooms, but not all clans do or even on solo servers not all players would have access to these tools.

so more of a public facing site... which may make uploading spy ops a little problematic, or players maybe a little gun shy to do so.

mFrost

Marshal Game profile

Jun 3rd 2015, 13:40:40

you could try to make battlecalc which accepts html posting.