Verified:

hawkeyee Game profile

Jun 5th 2014, 11:46:41

I was reading through that thread on medical tech... can somebody explain to me what all this stuff means? What are buyouts? What are blocks? Who does them? Who does it benefit? Why? When? etc. I really am curious to know! :)
Minister
The Omega
Omega Retal Policy/Contacts: http://tinyurl.com/owpvakm (Earth Wiki)
Apply: http://tinyurl.com/mydc8by (Boxcar)

SolidSnake Game profile

Jun 5th 2014, 11:52:38

1: a group of players buying a certain item on the market to an inflated price despite not needing that tech/good so as to allow one or a few people to benefit from selling that tech/good at an inflated price.
2: people seeing these attempts then sell goods at prices in between the normal selling price and the hugely inflated price to attempt to stop people buying the hugely inflated prices.
3: fluffkids
4: whoever is selling at an inflated price
5: because it's easier to transfer $ this way than via fa and harder to trace.
6: generally end of the set to get a couple to a rank they do not deserve.

Atryn Game profile

Jun 5th 2014, 12:01:53

SS speaks the truth.

mrford Game profile

Jun 5th 2014, 12:31:52

Buyouts are really bad. They don't deserve their finish.

People who get to 100k land on the other hand, super legit elite netters. Deserve everyrhing!

It's funny how perspective changes your viewpoint on legit isn't it?
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Red X Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express & Team

Jun 5th 2014, 12:34:20

Originally posted by mrford:

People who get to 100k land on the other hand, super legit elite netters. Deserve everyrhing!

Hehe I agree with ya.

It's all game mechanics and how people decide to exploit them.
My attitude is that of a Hulk smash
Mixed with Tony Montana snortin' bags of his coke stash
http://nbkffa.ghqnet.com

SolidSnake Game profile

Jun 5th 2014, 12:44:06

Not really considering I've said from the outset landtrading is bs too.
I did it this set to make a point and attempt to get it nerfed by beating everyone by miles, but scode took the second half of that away from me with his suicide. Hopefully it still gets nerfed.

mrford Game profile

Jun 5th 2014, 12:57:45

well arnt you just the bell of the ball!

thanks for standing up for the little guy and fighting the good fight!
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

The Cloaked Game profile

Jun 5th 2014, 14:00:19

landtrading is ridiculously easy though.

i half-a**ed it this set with a suboptimal gov't/strat for it then quit early and will easily have my best finish in a decade.

if there were awards for the top 5 I'd say that we should give all 5 to eug.

landtrading is ridiculous.

Trife Game profile

Jun 5th 2014, 17:18:44

</thread>

</debate>

Symac

Jun 5th 2014, 17:34:10

You are seriously directing that at SolidSnake or LaF in general?

We tried to fight that fight while fluff stains like you did nothing or outright supported land trading. We tried to push through policies against it and bully those that did it, and all that came was war, bad relations, suiciders, and game development making it the only viable strat. All the time game development buffing suiciders to the point they have more power than most alliances.

So fluff you and the horse you rode in on chap. Even with ridicules buyouts you couldn't break top 10?

mrford Game profile

Jun 5th 2014, 17:38:27

Pretty sure I didn't name any names. You are super defensive art you? Why is that?
Swagger of a Chupacabra

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Jun 5th 2014, 17:48:18

Again, any tactic that doesn't violate the game rules is legitimate. You may disagree with various peoples approaches and take any allowed in game actions to counter tactics you dislike. Just don't pretend that it's cheating.

Regarding buyouts: as long as they aren't done via a script, as things stand now there is nothing illegal about them. There has been some discussion to change the market mechanics to make buyouts harder but it never went anywhere.

++martian
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

Symac

Jun 5th 2014, 17:53:11

Why bother with making shady tactics harder, just add a checkbox during country creation for suiciders and give them unlimited turns.

Or maybe just make the game auto-calculate how much land will be generated from a lt exchange and divide it equally between the 2 countries. No fuss no mus. x

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jun 5th 2014, 18:50:51

I would like to nerf landtrading; but I don't really want to push people back towards bottomfeeding. And all-X is boring if *everybody* does it (it's a challenge if you're competing against non-allXers).

We need a fourth option!

My working thesis, atm, is bots! But you'll all have to join (and actually play!) the AI server to help me with that ;)
Finally did the signature thing.

Trife Game profile

Jun 5th 2014, 18:58:18

Originally posted by qzjul:

We need a fourth option!

microtransactions!

pay $3.99 and get 5k acres!

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jun 5th 2014, 19:24:12

Haha
Finally did the signature thing.

The Cloaked Game profile

Jun 5th 2014, 19:28:32

my preference is simply to nerf land trading. Cut ghost acre gains by 50% and reduce further the dict bonus.

with bottomfeeding so heavily nerfed, trading will remain the most viable strat for a serious netter. But the difference between it, bottomfeeding, and all-ex will be less extreme.

also it will weed out the marginal traders. with half gains trading will not be forgiving for players that don't pick targets/match nw/strat/etc.

FailDiegoFail Game profile

Jun 5th 2014, 21:51:48

maybe a country:country DR that lasts multiple days? sure you could then just rotate between multiple targets, but before landtrading was a thing I just did that anyways because I like grabbing. the difference between grabbing randos and chain-grabbing would then be basically nothing except the chain-grabbing would be on a schedule. no net benefit to organizing fluff

BILL_DANGER Game profile

Jun 5th 2014, 22:25:30

Originally posted by Trife:
Originally posted by qzjul:

We need a fourth option!

microtransactions!

pay $3.99 and get 5k acres!

HA! BRILLIANT! I SHUDDER TO THINK HOW MANY WOULD ACTUALLY DO IT. NOW IF YOU'LL EXCUSE ME I HAVE TO GO BUY SOME GEMS FOR CLASH OF CLANS. HA!

IAN_DANGER

Jun 5th 2014, 23:07:01

FINAL RANKINGS ARE BASED OFF OF EXPLOSIONS, NOT NET WORTH.
SILLY TREE HUGGERS.

HA!
IAN_DANGER
DESIGNATED DRIVER
THE MIGHTY CLAN [DANGER]!

mdevol Game profile

Jun 5th 2014, 23:45:06

Meh. I dont like buyouts in 1a but whatever. It is ALLIANCE.... I also dont see how late set buyouts are really much different than manipulating the market from the sidelines during a war to essentially rig the market for days artificially reaping huge profits.

Standing orders are there for a reason...use them clan wide and block buyouts.

Edited By: mdevol on Jun 5th 2014, 23:48:30
Surely what a man does when he is caught off his guard is the best evidence as to what sort of man he is. - C.S. Lewis

archaic Game profile

Jun 6th 2014, 0:12:37

well arnt you just the bell of the ball!

thanks for standing up for the little guy and fighting the good fight!

http://youtu.be/o0TytjA0JUo
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

braden Game profile

Jun 6th 2014, 0:31:51

underhill, hawkeye?

keivisuaL Game profile

Jun 6th 2014, 1:20:15

Yeah as long as it's not banned it's legit. I don't understand why everyone is talking about fairness and legibility. If you can't bring yourself to do buy outs or receive FA, then don't complain.

If you just want the number 1 spot. Anything is legit.

Wanting to prove your worth is another matter because being number 1 doesn't mean anything.
Innocence is something we all forget. I haven't quite, I'm naive.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Jun 6th 2014, 2:20:47

keivisual there are lots of things that are legal but frowned upon in real life. Why should this be any different?

iScode Game profile

Jun 6th 2014, 6:08:39

Originally posted by Symac:
Why bother with making shady tactics harder, just add a checkbox during country creation for suiciders and give them unlimited turns.

Or maybe just make the game auto-calculate how much land will be generated from a lt exchange and divide it equally between the 2 countries. No fuss no mus. x

I like it

unlimited turns ftw :P
iScode
God of War

DEATH TO SOV!

Boltar Game profile

Jun 6th 2014, 6:13:04

Originally posted by Symac:

You are seriously directing that at SolidSnake or LaF in general?

We tried to fight that fight while fluff stains like you did nothing or outright supported land trading. We tried to push through policies against it and bully those that did it, and all that came was war, bad relations, suiciders, and game development making it the only viable strat. All the time game development buffing suiciders to the point they have more power than most alliances.

So fluff you and the horse you rode in on chap. Even with ridicules buyouts you couldn't break top 10?

lol i love u symac