Verified:

iolair Game profile

Apr 22nd 2014, 21:22:44

Originally posted by Atryn:
Originally posted by mdevol:
nor does it give power to the federal govt to tax wages. in fact they have tried to argue that in the high court multiple times, and have lost every time.

The federal income tax in the USA is 100% optional for the taxpayers to pay.

"The Congress shall have power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common defense
{note 1} and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;"

Yes, they have the power to enact taxes. The types of taxes they can enact are not spelled out. By the way, you can interpret "the general Welfare of the United States" pretty broadly.

That is, btw, the FIRST power enumerated to Congress in the Constitution, Article 1, Section 8, Enumerated Powers.

The next Section 9 indicates what kind of taxes are not allowed to be imposed.

Edited By: qzjul on Apr 22nd 2014, 21:53:02
See Original Post
nothing to see here ... move along

Atryn Game profile

Apr 23rd 2014, 2:06:46

Originally posted by iolair:
Originally posted by Atryn:
Originally posted by mdevol:
nor does it give power to the federal govt to tax wages. in fact they have tried to argue that in the high court multiple times, and have lost every time.

The federal income tax in the USA is 100% optional for the taxpayers to pay.

"The Congress shall have power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common defense
{note 1} and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;"

Yes, they have the power to enact taxes. The types of taxes they can enact are not spelled out. By the way, you can interpret "the general Welfare of the United States" pretty broadly.

That is, btw, the FIRST power enumerated to Congress in the Constitution, Article 1, Section 8, Enumerated Powers.

The next Section 9 indicates what kind of taxes are not allowed to be imposed.

And then the 16th Amendment exempted income taxes from that second clause in Section 9. (in the year 1913)

http://en.wikipedia.org/...nited_States_Constitution

GodHead Dibs Game profile

Apr 23rd 2014, 18:46:37

damn. i don't have anything good to say about taxes. must be throughly disgruntled. well, i did think about putting all my pennies behind a guillotine and then giving permission to the Demoncrats to access my pennies.
Don't Pay The Federal Man,
Don't Even Fix A Price.
Don't Pay The Federal Man,
Run Them Through A Deli-Meat Slicer.
Alive.

dang, think my rhyming may be a bit off.
Dibs Ludicrous was here.