Verified:

Angel1 Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 5:06:33

http://nfl.si.com/...offseason-denver-broncos/

When Peyton Manning had his contract with the Denver Broncos, it included a retirement clause. This off season, he will have an exam on his neck and could choose to retire if the examination reveals the risk of additional injury.

I hope his neck isn't at risk for further injury and Peyton Manning can continue playing, but I'm glad that he's setting the example of caring more for your health than for sport. In sport, there are two different kinds of risk when it comes to injuries. There is risk to sport and risk to life beyond sport. Injuries that risk only sport are those injuries that could end your season even if you take care of them. Injuries that risk life beyond sport are those that could create a disability in a persons life even with proper care. Good for Manning for taking this determination very serious.
-Angel1

hawkeyee Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 5:41:56

Well said. I would imagine though that very few players could negotiate something like this into their contracts. Also - all players can retire whenever they want anyways. Did Manning negotiate some kind of compensation or pension if he does retire during his contract?

Edit - I don't see any mention of a retirement clause...

Edited By: hawkeyee on Jan 14th 2014, 5:44:32
Minister
The Omega
Omega Retal Policy/Contacts: http://tinyurl.com/owpvakm (Earth Wiki)
Apply: http://tinyurl.com/mydc8by (Boxcar)

Forgotten

Jan 14th 2014, 5:50:50

It might actually be for the Broncos' favor.

If doctors says he can't play, the clause forces Manning to retire, thus not using any player options on contract?

It might stop Manning from coming back just to try and maybe suck up millions of dollars and a hole to fill two preseason games in.
~LaF's Retired Janitor~

Angel1 Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 15:23:20

The retirement clause was mentioned in the TV story. Must have been left out on the link I found. Players may be able to retire whenever they like, but breaking a contract can still come with financial consequences according to their contract. They can retire whenever they like, but they may have to break their contract to do it.
-Angel1

Vic Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 15:29:40

didn't read this article because i actually can't be bothered with indoor temperature controlled stat packed dorks.
but the 1 v 1 numbers don't lie:

in the 15 times Tom Brady has faced Peyton Dorkbait -
Brady has won 11 out of the 15.

ELEVEN TIMES!!!!
73.33% of the time in a huge sample of 15 games!!!

that says it all, get over it, the guy completely sucks.

ericownsyou5 Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 15:30:19

His head is so effing big, no wonder he has neck problems & is very smart.

Vic Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 15:30:35

11 out of 15 games. LMFAO. that's just insane!

Vic Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 15:31:02

and peyton manning is not bright in anyway unfortunately :/

Vic Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 15:32:08

and i don't mean this to be a jerk or anything . but in the context it's important to note that Peyton scored • SAT score: 1030
he's quantifiably unintelligent

(to put this in comparison Pres. George W Bush scored over a 1200. peyton seems like a nice guy, but he's flat out STUPID)

Edited By: Vic on Jan 14th 2014, 15:39:32

Vic Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 15:32:32

so he sucks at football. he isn't smart.
and he gets his ass owned by a real man, Tom Brady.

next.

Xelah Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 15:44:46

Originally posted by Vic:
and i don't mean this to be a jerk or anything . but in the context it's important to note that Peyton scored • SAT score: 1030

(to put this in comparison Pres. George W Bush scored over a 1200. peyton seems like a nice guy, but he's flat out STUPID)

You realize that the average SAT score for the class of 2013 was like 1,002... right? That puts him a hair over average intelligence... which is quantifiably not stupid. I don't like him as a QB, but calling him stupid is a bit over the line.
--Xelah
Death Knights
-*-*- First to get banned from the new forums 04-05-2010 -*-*-

Azz Kikr Game profile

Wiki Mod

Jan 14th 2014, 15:46:32

Xelah, the SAT scoring also changed between the time when Bush (and presumably Manning) took it, and 2013 :P it's not an apples:apples comparison

CandyMan Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 16:19:51

book smart not equal to street smart or sport smart.

CandyMan Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 16:21:32

Ryan Fitzpatrick- 1580 SAT. Sucks at QB'ing. Counterexample boom!

Xelah Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 16:26:23

Originally posted by Azz Kikr:
Xelah, the SAT scoring also changed between the time when Bush (and presumably Manning) took it, and 2013 :P it's not an apples:apples comparison

Yeah, the test was harder before 1995. Anyone taking it now effectively gets a free 100 points. By today's test standards, Manning would have had an 1130 and bush a 1300.
--Xelah
Death Knights
-*-*- First to get banned from the new forums 04-05-2010 -*-*-

cRaZyDaVe Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 16:29:24

he bought a chain of Papa John's the week after it was announced that Pot would be legal in Colorado

yeah, he's real stupid...
Originally posted by Twain:
I love the idea of sending even 100 troops into an area so they can go assassinate citizens one at a time.

bstrong86 Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 16:30:52

Hahah
The Death Knights

XI

Vic Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 16:34:52

Originally posted by CandyMan:
book smart not equal to street smart or sport smart.

how have your professional sports teams been holding up down there broski?
they move yet?

and again i don't care about street or sport or whatever smart all i know is George W Bush scored well higher on his SATs than Peyton and the scoring did not change much at all in those years.

in case you guys dont see i'm not really being objective here i'm just being a boss patriots and Boston sports fan coming in to derail a thread that isn't about greatness i.e. boston

Vic Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 16:35:07

Originally posted by cRaZyDaVe:
he bought a chain of Papa John's the week after it was announced that Pot would be legal in Colorado

yeah, he's real stupid...

and lmao +1

bstrong86 Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 16:36:41

Yeah, but i have my name everywhere in boston area :)

BSTRONG!!

#getonmylevel #canonlybeone #bradysucks!
The Death Knights

XI

bstrong86 Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 16:51:15

So, i was sitting here. Watching HLN...

Then WHAM! Out of the blue, i think of the SPYGATE Cheating Scandal

Then, i was like i should post this!

Then before i posted my original, i was all like RD cheated and got deleted...

Then, i realized.. its all vics fault!! SpyGate, RD.. its all him!!

:p
The Death Knights

XI

Vic Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 17:03:19

I AM BILL BELICHICK!

mrford Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 17:25:17

i hope you are just trolling vic, but seing you are from boston, i figure you are just as ignorant about sports as most boston fans. shame.

peyton is one of, if not THE greatest QB of all time. not every QB gets to play on a team with the peices and coaching brady has. and your indoor argument is pretty fluffing stupid considering Peyton broke the yards and TD record in the mile high city this year.....

you HAVE to be trolling, no one can be this selective on their facts, and then call someone else, someone who is a millionair, played in the league for 15 years, and holds many records in the NFL. he is the greatest field general in the game right now. if you dissagree you dont watch football. im not even a broncos fan.

and another point, you attacked someone else in this thread and discredited them because their team sucks right now? get the fluff out boston fan, lol. i guess those 100 years the redsox didnt win a ring made every boston baseball fan a retard for that century!
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

theboshman Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 17:30:58

PEYTON EATS BUTTHOLES FOR BREAKFAST!

Vic Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 18:10:08

Originally posted by mrford:
i hope you are just trolling vic, but seing you are from boston, i figure you are just as ignorant about sports as most boston fans. shame.

peyton is one of, if not THE greatest QB of all time. not every QB gets to play on a team with the peices and coaching brady has. and your indoor argument is pretty fluffing stupid considering Peyton broke the yards and TD record in the mile high city this year.....

you HAVE to be trolling, no one can be this selective on their facts, and then call someone else, someone who is a millionair, played in the league for 15 years, and holds many records in the NFL. he is the greatest field general in the game right now. if you dissagree you dont watch football. im not even a broncos fan.

and another point, you attacked someone else in this thread and discredited them because their team sucks right now? get the fluff out boston fan, lol. i guess those 100 years the redsox didnt win a ring made every boston baseball fan a retard for that century!

in case you guys dont see i'm not really being objective here i'm just being a boss patriots and Boston sports fan coming in to derail a thread that isn't about greatness i.e. boston

(a.k.a. trolling)

+no one can be the GREATEST qb of all time if they lose 11 out of 15 match ups to another possible greatest of all time. that immediately disqualifies them, and you can't disagree with that. simply can't be called the greatest when you lose 11 out of 15 to brady.

and it's quite ok the red sox took some time off - the bruins and the celtics did alright in those years ;)

lmfao
http://upload.wikimedia.org/...csChampionshipBanners.jpg

Vic Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 18:11:36

also fordy, remember when i had to remind you that even the atlanta braves started out in boston?
we own you man!

Boltar Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 18:18:13

vic remember: 18 wins and 1 GIANT LOSS

Vic Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 18:19:52

also did you honestly say ... "but seing you are from boston, i figure you are just as ignorant about sports as most boston fans. shame."

like or hate boston, our fans are respected by opposing ATHLETES and sportscasters from all over the country and we are commonly recognized as some of the most intelligent sports fans out there.
we have 4 great teams and a lot of smart people with a lot of knowledge on those sports.

don't be a bonehead dude. hate on boston all you'd like (funny that you've never even been here but i on the other hand basically grew up in buckhead, your supposed territory) but don't hate on our sports or our fans. that's just stupid

Vic Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 18:20:28

lol bolty i'm still not over that one :p
we just handed dweeb manning #2 his first ring

hawkeyee Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 18:30:49

Originally posted by Angel1:
The retirement clause was mentioned in the TV story. Must have been left out on the link I found. Players may be able to retire whenever they like, but breaking a contract can still come with financial consequences according to their contract. They can retire whenever they like, but they may have to break their contract to do it.

No they don't. They can retire whenever. The contract gets frozen, and if they should ever choose to return to the NFL, the team has rights to them for however many years are left. But players routinely sign contracts beyond when they expect to retire. It helps teams spread salary of years etc. If you retire you forfeit whatever else is owed to you. If you have 4 years left on your contract and you decide to "un-retire" the team still has rights to you.

Edited By: hawkeyee on Jan 14th 2014, 18:33:21
Minister
The Omega
Omega Retal Policy/Contacts: http://tinyurl.com/owpvakm (Earth Wiki)
Apply: http://tinyurl.com/mydc8by (Boxcar)

CandyMan Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 18:32:47

broncos are going to beat the patriots because

1.) they're playing at home.
2.) when they faced off in the regular season, the pats won by 3 points but that was WITH gronk in the game. he's not there now.
3.) peyton manning has more offensive weapons to throw to in welker, thomas, and decker. brady has julian edelman, shane vereen, and danny amendola.

Vic Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 18:47:55

it's the patriots and it's the postseason. all else is thrown out the window.
the last time you bet me that the patriots would lose you presented a similar list of reasons why, and alas, the patriots won, i won, and you lost :p

mrford Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 19:03:24

there is no way you believe half the fluff coming out of your mouth. maybe IN boston boston fans are well renowned, but here in the real world, i know plenty of boston fans, and they are all flufftarded when it comes to sports. they are all high and mighty and their team can never do any wrong. does that sound similar to someone in this thread? vic?

and im not from atlanta. i dont care if you are from an atlanta suburb, what does that have to do with sports teams and fans? your logic and reasoning is coming into question here. we get it, you are jealous of gezell because she actually gets to sit on brady's fluff, and you really want to. it still doesn't change the fact that brady had the better TEAM and better COACH than manning while he was with the colts. this is a TEAM sport. sure the QBs are the face of most franchises, but the best QB in the world won't play for fluff without an O line, play calling, blocking RBs, and receivers. manning has had some good ones, but overall the pats have been the better, and more stable team.

manning is far smarter than brady when it comes to being a field general. watch the games unbiased. i know this is hard for you to do, so i suppose we'll just skip this

it is extremely easy to be a fan of a team when they are good. try being a fan of a team like atlanta, the panthers, UNCC, and recently UNC. being a fan of a great team has nothing to do with the quality of your "fandomship" as you apparently are trying to say, it just makes it easier to be a fan. you are just a homer fanboy. you probably know nothing of the actual game, and your posts are only strengthening my point, so please keep responding.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Vic Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 19:11:17

OK so let me break it down for you.
I don't care as much about professional OR college sports as you do.
I don't play on 'fantasy' sports teams.
When I get going about Brady and Peyton, I'm trolling.
Peyton is a great quarterback, but to discount Brady and to do so in a serious manner is absurd.
When I discount Peyton I'm freaking joking.

I grew up playing sports and continued to play in hs and college and I come from a family of die hard core sports fans. We loved the Red Sox all throughout the 80s and the 90s, when they made us miserable. We loved the Patriots when they were an embarrassment. We stuck with the Bruins when people said they'd never win again.
And don't forget how miserable the Celtics were when I was growing up. I stuck with them all along.

Don't talk to me about having it good. Boston fans have had it bad. We've had it worse than you can imagine and you are damn right we are proud that some of our teams that put me to sleep crying as a kid, are now experiencing well deserved success.
And blue collar hard nosed hard working teams like the Red Sox too.

Your point is baseless. Like I said, I believe Peyton is a great quarterback and your consistent inability to identify when i'm outwardly and obviously trolling vs when i'm sometimes on rare occasion being serious around here, is kind of shocking. You seem like an intelligent enough guy but it's clear you have an absurdly negative bias against Boston for some reason.

I on the other hand don't care about it all that much.
Peyton is pretty good

Edited By: Vic on Jan 14th 2014, 19:15:08

mrford Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 19:18:26

you posted the same thing in both threads because its extremely hard for you to have original thoughts on different points? bless your heart. i dont hate boston, i hate boston fans. they are ignorant, and arrogant.

and please tell me where i "discounted" brady. all i did was say peyton is better. and he is. you are just a trolling dipfluff, that when he gets called out he falls back on the BUT I WAS JUST TROLLING argument. get over yourself.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Vic Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 19:30:17

well no actually i made it clear that i was trolling.
then you tried to call me out.
then i copied the part where i had made it clear that i was trolling.

you on the other hand are just a sour asshole

mrford Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 19:31:33

id rather be a sour asshole than pathetic like an internet troll.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

CandyMan Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 19:53:35

I'm not claiming peyton manning is better than tom brady because it's hard to compare, but I would say that if Tom Brady were playing for the broncos and Peyton Manning were playing for the patriots, I would feel a lot more confident that the broncos would win.

There are just too many offensive weapons besides Peyton Manning on the broncos. 3 very capable receivers plus two serviceable running backs as long as the pass game is respected. Decker and Thomas were solid receivers before Manning came in and now they add in Welker who was number one in receptions under Brady. Brady is doing it with a team of second stringers from last season. No gronk, no welker, and they're still handling business.

What's most impressive about the pats today is they've transformed themselves to whatever it takes to become superbowl contenders. No gronk, no problem, we'll still pass but we'll develop a smash mouth running game too in Blount, Vereen, and Ridley.

Vic Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 19:58:19

lol classic analyst objective opinion, at least ford and I picked a side :p

CandyMan Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 20:07:57

broncos > pats.

tom brady > peyton manning.

how is that not picking a side. as a team broncos are stronger. as a player, tom brady is stronger by virtue of the fewer weapons he has to work with.

mrford Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 20:09:16

you are just talking about this year. me and vic are talking about careers. get on our level!
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Vic Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 20:09:55

ford admittedly i'm definitely not on your level when it comes to nfl knowledge

mrford Game profile

Jan 14th 2014, 20:10:35

when your team never wins, you have nothing but stats to look at. not rings.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 14th 2014, 21:04:46

Peyton Manning is one of the BEST purely pocket passer this game has EVER had, he IS the BEST on field decision maker I have ever seen play this game, he can make a mediocre offense look like a well oiled elite core.

With that being said, go 9ers!
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

Shinigami Game profile

Jan 15th 2014, 3:14:43

Originally posted by Xelah:

You realize that the average SAT score for the class of 2013 was like 1,002... right? That puts him a hair over average intelligence... which is quantifiably not stupid. I don't like him as a QB, but calling him stupid is a bit over the line.

A hair over average, also known as "intelligent enough to graduate from Tennessee while failing to win anything of value while there"

crest23 Game profile

Jan 15th 2014, 5:00:31

and we are commonly recognized as some of the most intelligent sports fans out there.

You posts here so far begs me to differ. Do you not watch football? Or do you only watch Patriots? Are you a football fan? Or just want to suck on Tom's right nut? You cannot in your right senses seriously be calling Manning stupid. Or have they legalized pot in Boston too? I mean, there's trolling, and there's just straight up 'ignant', and so far, you are sounding real 'ignant'.

And let it be known that the 1st mention of Brady in this thread was by Vic, so no one called his skill set into question.

Edited By: crest23 on Jan 15th 2014, 5:04:43
The Nigerian Nightmare.

BladeEWG Game profile

Jan 15th 2014, 11:13:29

No matter where Payton is , he is still a Colt to us!
Churches around Indiana still say prayers for him on Sundays :)