Verified:

cysten Game profile

Mar 5th 2013, 18:34:08

Is it me or does the login bonus thing seem lame?

It is a good idea, however from what I understand from these posts to get the edge you have to login exactly 18 hours apart. And apart. And apart. And apart...

This means that lifeless losers (lame winners) will win and to win you have to be like them.

I think the same thing holds for the bonus system. I was never very fond of coupons either. >.>

Marshal Game profile

Mar 5th 2013, 20:09:53

no need to login every 18 hrs, you can log later too (I log once a day).
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

Xinhuan Game profile

Mar 5th 2013, 20:10:33

History lesson incoming.

The login bonus served 2 purposes:

A) It keeps players off the servers, reducing server load back in the early 2000s when people were still using 80486s and 56k modems.

B) It stops botters that automatically logged into your country and constantly refresh the market every 2 seconds, sniping any cheap goods. Well it doesn't stop them per-say, but the advantages gained from doing so isn't likely to be better than a 6 turn bonus. Remember there was a 2b cash limit back then, so you couldn't really profit all that much from market camping either, without doing immediate reselling.

The bonus system serves to:

A) Promotes the game on the various voting sites.
B) Verifies that you are a human player by answering captchas - players who get the bonus points will not see EE's captchas for a day.
C) Encourages players to login once a day.

In reality, very few people login exactly 18 hours apart, because there isn't any real reason to do so.

A) On most servers, PSes are 20 hours long.
B) Bonus points are 22 and 24 hours long.
C) DRs are 24 hours long, if you were to camp the same target.
D) Some servers have so many turns (relative to Primary server) that the bonus turns aren't worth a lot, and it is better to stay constantly logged in to find good landgrab targets. - This is a minor problem because it does mean players who spend more hours logged in and refreshing for targets every 10 minutes will be able to get more land (on team and alliance), and finish higher. In theory, this is ok, since more effort equals better finish, and this is usually the case in MOST games.

Marshal Game profile

Mar 5th 2013, 21:01:52

and standing orders made market camping bit obsolete.

cysten Game profile

Mar 7th 2013, 1:05:18

Ok so you can only qualify for the login turn bonus once every 24 hours?

Then logging in 16 hours apart would get the same bonus turn as logging in 24 hours apart?

@Xinhuan try late 90's.

Xinhuan Game profile

Mar 7th 2013, 2:02:03

18 hours, not 16. But yes, logging in 24 hours apart is the same as 18.

blid

EE Patron

Mar 7th 2013, 3:11:44

If someone logs in every 18 hours, and someone else logs in every 24 hours, by the end of the round the 18-hour boy will get more bonus turns. But... planned strikes take 20 hours, so that changes the bonus camper's log-ins to every 20 hours at the least... and then other factors come in as well (market sales, DR watching, etc)... In the end I don't think waking up every night to get another bonus is going to make a noticeable difference.
Originally posted by Mr. Titanium:
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Mar 7th 2013, 19:47:17

What xinhuan said! =D
Finally did the signature thing.

cysten Game profile

Mar 9th 2013, 5:46:36

Ok just want to confirm, Suppose I login 2 Am server time and get 18 hr bonus. Then I log in at 8 PM 18 hrs later. Would I get another bonus?

Basically you can only get one bonus per server day, correct?

cysten Game profile

Mar 9th 2013, 5:46:53

Ok just want to confirm, Suppose I login 2 Am server time and get 18 hr bonus. Then I log in at 8 PM 18 hrs later. Would I get another bonus?

Basically you can only get one bonus per server day, correct?

Xinhuan Game profile

Mar 9th 2013, 5:56:42

You will get another 6 turn bonus. If you really perform 18 hour logins, you will repeatedly get 6 turns bonus every 18 hours.

Some players do this to squeeze out additional income during the stocking phase of their countries, but note it may not always be beneficial to do this (for example, you are performing reselling and you need to setup your new Standing Orders more than once every 18 hours).

The benefits of disrupting your sleep patterns isn't really worth it in most cases, so it is better to do 18-18-12 hour logins instead.

BobbyATA Game profile

Mar 9th 2013, 19:15:47

if you aren't disrupting your sleep patterns in an effort to win, then you aren't playing hard enough.

Marshal Game profile

Mar 9th 2013, 20:06:43

so bobby wakes up at 4am to login to ee and plays turns?

Supertodd Game profile

Mar 9th 2013, 21:34:15

Originally posted by Marshal:
so bobby wakes up at 4am to login to ee and plays turns?

I sometimes do that, if I'm out of town (and therefore wouldn't wake my wife). I don't even have to fully wake up. Silence alarm, log in from my phone, log back out. No need to actually play turns unless I'm 18 hrs away from being full on them.

I think for someone stocking, or playing an all-x, it's worth it. Someone who logs in every 18 hours gets an extra 6 turns every 3 days when compared to a 24-hr login. A little under 3% more turns. Not huge, but every little bit counts.

When I'm home and therefore can't set my alarm for 3:00 AM without risking marital strife, I'll often do a couple 18 hour logins, followed by a 12 hour to avoid the late-night login.

Alternatively, you could do 5:00 AM, 11:00 PM, 5:00 PM, 11:00 AM, repeat. Of course, that cycle is going to slowly degrade, as you have to spend at least a little time actually playing your turns, so your logins aren't ever exactly 18 hours apart.

Marshal Game profile

Mar 9th 2013, 21:41:52

sure its doable but waking up middle of night few times per week might not be good for human.

Supertodd Game profile

Mar 9th 2013, 22:28:03

Just realized my "a little under 3%" figure is only correct for the Alliance server. The extra two turns per day have a bigger impact on servers with slower turn generation.

Alliance: 2.7% increase
Tournament: 3.5% increase
Primary: 4.2% increase

Considering the difference between 1st and 2nd last reset in tournament game A was only 0.9%, those bonus turns could make the difference between first place and first loser.

BobbyATA Game profile

Mar 10th 2013, 0:51:43

PSing every 20 hours instead of every 24 hours is where the real gains can be made. I don't do it, although I might try to this reset.

Xinhuan Game profile

Mar 10th 2013, 4:29:43

I tried PSing every 20 hours on Primary once, Bobby, for a whole 8 days. I concluded that although I gained land faster, I didn't have the income (and turns to generate said income) to build them because I was trying to gain more land than I had turns for.

What really ended up happening was a lot of land was left unbuilt, and building them later was more costly, and keeping up with tech% was just hard and overall tech% fell. To make up for the building of unbuilt land and raising tech%, in the end, it didn't really make a difference.

BobbyATA Game profile

Mar 10th 2013, 13:45:55

yea I could see that happening.

Enigs Game profile

Mar 13th 2013, 4:09:44

lol

Calib777 Game profile

Mar 13th 2013, 14:51:27

lol