Verified:

TheORKINMan Game profile

Feb 12th 2013, 2:58:21

So I'm looking for a DSLR camera. Something that's not that big and bulky but that can be manually focused and can take very close up pictures at good resolution (of say a small marine animal or coral like in my aquarium). Also looking for something that will take good pictures in low light situations such as during Halloween Horror Nights. If it can take short burst photos for live action shots say at a basketball game that's a bonus.

Every camera I've seen has reviews saying it's the best thing ever and reviews saying it's absolute fluff. So some first hand experience if anyone here has any would be appreciated :P
Smarter than your average bear.

BILL_DANGER Game profile

Feb 12th 2013, 3:04:57

I have a Canon Rebel XTi that I really enjoy (not sure if it fits your criteria of "not big and bulky"). I have several friends that use the Canon line in serious hobby and professional photography (and sold me a hand-me-down at bargain basement prices, woot!).

I would say just about anything by Canon or Nikon you can't go wrong with.. especially if you're not super hardcore, I doubt you'll find a lot of difference. Whatever you get, spend a lot of time experimenting with "the exposure triangle."

AND NOW TO GET BACK INTO CHARCTER..

MAKE SURE YOU TAKE LOTS OF PHOTOS OF EXPLOSIONS. FOR EXAMPLE, PERHAPS YOU COULD EXPLODE THE AFOREMENTIONED FISHTANK AND PHOTOGRAPH THAT!!!

BILL

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 12th 2013, 3:17:48

Not a clue dude. :( I know absolutely less than nothing about DLSR cameras. Hell, the only camera I've ever been able to take a decent picture with is an old Minolta X-700 full manual camera. I can't even get a decent picture out of those disposable automatic cameras from Kodak. LOL A friend of mine has one by Sony which seems quite nice. It's easy to use, handles all sorts of extra lens sizes and seems to be quite prodigious in the memory department. I'll ask him what model it is and what he paid for it.
I don't need anger management, people need to stop pissing me off!

TheORKINMan Game profile

Feb 12th 2013, 3:23:10

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 12th 2013, 3:31:59

Here is the cam I have:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/...OS_Rebel_T3i_Digital.html

I like it. I prefer Canon lens to the others but I could be biased because thats what I buy :p

Lobo Game profile

Feb 12th 2013, 3:38:36

I have the canon t2i and love it. I felt the t3i wasn't enough of an upgrade in options and less effective in video mode. My next camera I will get will really have to be something because with the right lens t2i does it all. Good luck, play around with the different ones in the stores and shop online. Incredible package deals going on all over. The macro lens will get you the closeups and with anything you shoot in the dark, you will want a tripod. The exposure time will pick up even a little movement on your part.
For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack
The only real progress lies in learning to be wrong all alone. ~Albert Camus

Original SANCT...

TheORKINMan Game profile

Feb 12th 2013, 3:42:17

Cant take a tripod into Universal Studios (or at least into the houses etc...) :P My current Nikon Coolpix which is a $100 camera for casual pictures doesnt focus at all at night and apparently cant be manually focused, which is one of the main reasons I'm looking to upgrade.

Lobo Game profile

Feb 12th 2013, 3:51:41

There are only a few PHD*push here dummy* cameras that will do night photos. kodak has a nice one. The nice thing about upgrading is the lens can be set to auto focus or manual.
For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack

Original SANCT...

TheORKINMan Game profile

Feb 12th 2013, 3:57:42

Well I don't mind learning how to focus it and take night pictures etc... manually. I just cant bring in a tripod :P. Is the Canon T3i capable of doing that in dark settings?

mrford Game profile

Feb 12th 2013, 4:03:51

i have a D3200. i know nothing about photography, but i like the camera.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Lobo Game profile

Feb 12th 2013, 4:04:37

WEll....yes and no. I would suggest start watching how to videos on night photos and video. That way you can see what to expect. Most pictures taken in the dark are carefully set up. I like https://www.facebook.com/slrlounge for info but they got hacked again. :P

Original SANCT...

swampy Game profile

Feb 12th 2013, 5:00:50

I have a canon 600D, basically does everything you want it to do.
if you want to learn more about how to shoot, there is videos on the canon site that are very helpful.

drdial Game profile

Feb 12th 2013, 9:01:34

stick with cannon.

ZIP Game profile

Feb 12th 2013, 13:19:31

how much do you want to spend? For what you will be using it for you can get away with $1000 or less.

almost all dslr cameras today do at least 4-5 frames/second or more and shoot video as well in 1080p
in low light you need a high iso setting and/or get a fast lens.
fast means how much light the lens will let in. you want a low f# for a lens if you are buying lens for this type of shot.

For the close ups you can get special lenses that will get you on it, or better yet the higher the megapixels the clearer the image will be when you crop it and zoom in in photoshop. the quality of the pics from my old 6.1 mp pentax k100 vs my daughters 12mp point and shoot she got last year, my pentax takes better pics.

Am i the only one shooting pentax?

i believe in vegas they will be releasing the new lineups soon, so last years model will be a great buy very soon.

http://www.dpreview.com/

Nikon D5200
Canon T4i
Sony SLT A65

I would pick * Pentax K-30 * - amazing low light ( high iso ) image stabilization in camera so it works with any lens, 1080p 30fps video, 16.1 mp ( you can blow it up to poster size and not have any issues ). it is a good size camera, not huge, but a good solid feel, not too small and cheap feeling. Also with pentax they have not changed the lens mount so you can get great glass used going back 20 years. (a 5 yo lens from cannon and nikon may not fit them anymore ) also for low light and longer z00m shots stabilization is key, ( or a tripod and you said that is out ). cannon and nikon make you buy special lens for that and they are as much if not more then the cameras you will be buying.

pentax k30

http://www.qvc.com/...65-000-000&adtype=pla

body, 18-55 AND 50-200 lens for 1K$
fluff your 300 Spartans fool - i have 32 of the biggest fluffed mother fluffers made of titanium !!
A brigade from Blackstreetboyz (#91) has invaded your lands! Your defenses held against the invaders and forced them away! Your military lost:1 Troops

MArs47 Game profile

Feb 13th 2013, 14:02:12

the Nikon D3000 is the cam I've had for a few years now...its a good entry level camera (cheap) that wont break the bank.

It takes nice pictures and its excellent for learning on.

I think they've came out with newer models in recent years.

Mine even came with a dvd, book, manual of "how to photography"

http://www.amazon.com/...mm-3-5-5-6G/dp/B002JCSV5I
#DKnights