Verified:

Bambam24 Game profile

Dec 14th 2012, 8:53:44

Article is here http://blog.seattlepi.com/...-may-be-able-to-find-out/

Pretty scary stuff

The newest mystery challenging philosophers and scientists is not how big the universe is or if ours is the only one, but: Is it a simulation created by some smelly hacker somewhere else? (Credit: Getty Images)
The question “Do we live in a computer simulation?” was popularized in the move “The Matrix” and, as it turns out, not only is that a real possibility, but two University of Washington professors also say they can run a test to see if it is true.

In fact, it’s been a big couple of months for philosophers and scientists wondering if we live in a computer simulation.

Where it started

The question arose years ago by the philosopher Nick Bostrom in a paper titled “Are You Living In a Computer Simulation?” He wrote then:

“This paper argues that at least one of the following propositions is true: (1) the human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a “posthuman” stage;

(2) any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely to run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history (or variations thereof);

(3) we are almost certainly living in a computer simulation.

It follows that the belief that there is a significant chance that we will one day become posthumans who run ancestor-simulations is false, unless we are currently living in a simulation.”

Basically, it’s likely this has happened unless we’re the first civilization in the first universe … you know, Ever! … which is pretty absurd. You can also hear Bostrom discuss his idea on the podcast Philosophy Bites.

So, we might just be in a computer

In the article published in November “Constraints on the Universe as a Numerical Simulation” the UW researchers said they had evidence we might be living in a simulation.

In lawman’s terms, according to the Huffington Post article on the announcement, this is what the researchers came up with:

“What that basically means is that by just being a simulation, the computer would put limits on, for instance, the energy that particles can have within the program.

“These limits would be experienced by those living within the sim – and as it turns out, something which looks just like these limits do in fact exist.”

Here’s how the researchers put it in the conclusion of their paper:

In this work, we have taken seriously the possibility that our universe is a numerical simulation. In particular, we have explored a number of observables that may reveal the underlying structure of a simulation performed with a rigid hyper-cubic space-time grid. …

Nevertheless, assuming that the universe is finite and therefore the resources of potential simulators are finite, then a volume containing a simulation will be finite and a lattice spacing must be non-zero, and therefore in principle there always remains the possibility for the simulated to discover the simulators.

UW professors want proof

The conical (red) surface shows the relationship between energy and momentum in special relativity, a fundamental theory concerning space and time developed by Albert Einstein, and is the expected result if our universe is not a simulation. The flat (blue) surface illustrates the relationship between energy and momentum that would be expected if the universe is a simulation with an underlying cubic lattice. (Credit: Martin Savage)
The problem with running very complex simulations to test these theories is we currently do not have the computer power to do them. But, we may not need to run a super large simulation mirroring our universe to get to an answer.

UW professor Martin Savage and physics graduate student Zohreh Davoudi say they have come up with a method for testing whether this universe we call home is a simulation – even a simulation within a simulation.

Silas Beane, a researcher currently working in Germany, and the two from UW thought through the concepts this summer in Seattle. What they determined and then wrote in the paper “Constraints on the Universe as a Numerical Simulation” was that they can in theory see important signs in the simulations we can currently perform.

If they can find something like a limitation on energy in a small simulation, they should see it in a larger simulation and if they do and these are limits like the ones we see in our universe, then Bob’s your uncle we’re in a simulation.

Clarification: Savage corrected my understanding in the above sentence. He wrote in an email:

In our present day simulations in the very small volumes, we already see that particles have a maximum possible energy.

With finite computational resources, it will be the case that this is true in simulations of our universe performed by our descendents, of which we might be one.

The issue then becomes what is that maximum value and can we see it today in the spectrum of ultra high energy cosmic rays?

Update at 4:30: In a phone interview, Savage added that he and his colleagues wanted to make testable predictions about this idea that our universe could be a simulation … otherwise the concept remains a philosophical one. So, they needed something, a “signature,” that can be tested that would indicate we’re in a simulation.

They identified cosmic rays as having the potential to be that signature. Now it’s up to the scientists studying cosmic rays to find or not find constant limits in cosmic rays.

“These are mind blowing things I have to say, and we really know very little about it and our paper is the attempt to take it from philosophy to physics,” Savage said, adding “It would be really great if the UW had big supercomputers for us to be able to continue our simulation studies.”

UW’s story

Here’s how this concept was presented by UW in its article “Do we live in a computer simulation? UW researchers say idea can be tested”:

Currently, supercomputers using a technique called lattice quantum chromodynamics and starting from the fundamental physical laws that govern the universe can simulate only a very small portion of the universe, on the scale of one 100-trillionth of a meter, a little larger than the nucleus of an atom …

Eventually, more powerful simulations will be able to model on the scale of a molecule, then a cell and even a human being. But it will take many generations of growth in computing power to be able to simulate a large enough chunk of the universe to understand the constraints on physical processes that would indicate we are living in a computer model.

However, Savage said, there are signatures of resource constraints in present-day simulations that are likely to exist as well in simulations in the distant future, including the imprint of an underlying lattice if one is used to model the space-time continuum.

The supercomputers performing lattice quantum chromodynamics calculations essentially divide space-time into a four-dimensional grid. That allows researchers to examine what is called the strong force, one of the four fundamental forces of nature and the one that binds subatomic particles called quarks and gluons together into neutrons and protons at the core of atoms.

“If you make the simulations big enough, something like our universe should emerge,” Savage said. Then it would be a matter of looking for a “signature” in our universe that has an analog in the current small-scale simulations. …

If such a concept turned out to be reality, it would raise other possibilities as well. For example, Davoudi suggests that if our universe is a simulation, then those running it could be running other simulations as well, essentially creating other universes parallel to our own.

“Then the question is, ‘Can you communicate with those other universes if they are running on the same platform?’” she said.

The next question, even if we are living in a Martix like scenario, is “Does it matter?”

Alin Game profile

Dec 14th 2012, 9:15:07

Interesting stuff.

I have discussed and argued with some friends not only about living in a computer simulation - but also the idea of being lvl 4-5 or etc. of a computer simulation.

That means the computer simulation was created - and the 1st`s created 2nd level of simulation.

Therefore - not only we can live in a computer simulation but we can be lvl. 134, for example.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Dec 14th 2012, 14:29:39

and this is the topic of a movie (not the matrix) where the twist is that the characters are living in a simulation within a simulation.. I forget the name right now:P
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Dec 14th 2012, 14:31:01

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."
Edgar Allan Poe

Clearly this is not a new concept:P
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Dec 14th 2012, 14:32:25

i think therefore i am so go away now
Originally posted by Cerberus:

This guy is destroying the U.S. Dollars position as the preferred exchange for international trade. The Chinese Ruan is going to replace it soon, then the U.S. will not have control of the IMF

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Dec 14th 2012, 14:42:57

You heard about the man who said "I think therefore I am?"
One day he walked into a bar and the bartender asked him if he wanted a drink. The man said "I don't think so" and he disappeared.
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

Marco Game profile

Dec 14th 2012, 16:48:05

There is no past present or future. We are all unique individual creatures. As with.the planets and the stars we come and we go. We are nothing more then a period in time. A period that will be forgotten.

Schilling Game profile

Dec 14th 2012, 17:43:39

If we are, then will someone please find the cheat codes...??

Marco Game profile

Dec 14th 2012, 19:45:16

Konami code bro

Sifos Game profile

Dec 14th 2012, 20:11:50

1, 2 or 3... No explanations... I go with 4: We're are sheep, and Scode is our shepherd!
Imaginary Numbers
If you're important enough to contact me, you will know how to contact me.
Self appointed emperor of the Order of Bunnies.
The only way to be certain your allies will not betray you is to kill them all!

iScode Game profile

Dec 14th 2012, 20:17:15

I will lead you all to the promise land!
iScode
God of War

DEATH TO SOV!

Klown Game profile

Dec 14th 2012, 20:19:05

The University of Washington.... see, this is the unintended consequences of us legalizing pot.

UltraMarines Game profile

Dec 14th 2012, 20:24:50

It was a pretty interesting article

hawkeyee Game profile

Dec 14th 2012, 21:10:09

Nooooo!!! Tell these scientists to stop!!! Once test subjects are aware of the experiment they're no longer valuable! Our observers will end the experiment if they think we know the truth!
Minister
The Omega
Omega Retal Policy/Contacts: http://tinyurl.com/owpvakm (Earth Wiki)
Apply: http://tinyurl.com/mydc8by (Boxcar)

DonSean Game profile

Dec 14th 2012, 23:23:16

Martian, i think you are referring to 13th Floor. They cover this in that movie.

Alin Game profile

Dec 15th 2012, 0:33:17

Originally posted by DonSean:
Martian, i think you are referring to 13th Floor. They cover this in that movie.

Or Inception ( dream in a dream ).

Bambam24 Game profile

Dec 15th 2012, 0:46:19

perhaps this theory explains the reason why we are limited to 10% use of our brain

Alin Game profile

Dec 15th 2012, 0:48:34

10%? We are using 6-7 max. Some shaolin monks were proven to be using somewhere close to 8.

I know some specimens in EE who barely use 3%.

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Dec 15th 2012, 1:04:29

so, which one is Bill Gates? Neo or Agent Smith?
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

Alin Game profile

Dec 15th 2012, 1:26:54

The spoon!!! Or the error...

Bambam24 Game profile

Dec 15th 2012, 1:28:48

Bill gates is a 3d holographic illusion.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 15th 2012, 1:31:18

I prefer to think we are in an inflationary bubble universe. I'd also like to think that the cosmological constant varies from one bubble to another...

That makes us/our universe very special :)

Bambam24 Game profile

Dec 15th 2012, 2:08:22

The president and public figures are all 3d holographic illusions. They put in front of us with laws and rules to keep his sheeple from leaving the fence.

madjsp Game profile

Dec 15th 2012, 19:01:18

conspiracy theory 101
-jonathan

joe3: bater sucks so bad imag could teach him a thing about war

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 15th 2012, 20:13:52

Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

Klown Game profile

Dec 15th 2012, 21:50:11

This is just a way of scientists saying 'the order and laws of the universe suggest there is a designer, but of course we great men of science know there is no God... so this must all be a computer simulation!' Amazing.

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Dec 15th 2012, 22:19:59

creationism revisited? people just like arguing about things.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

Bambam24 Game profile

Dec 15th 2012, 22:46:05

Jesus is my savior. god is my creator

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 15th 2012, 23:51:24

Even Einstein believed in a "god" it was a loose term for him but he still believed in a higher power :p

Most scientific minded people don't necessary believe in a god like a lot of religious people do but a lot of them believe in some kind of higher power just due to the order of nature and complete amazement of the complication of everything.

I mean we've been around for a while (in terms of the universe we arnt even a blip on the screen) and we haven't figured out much.

I mean we cannot even tell if time is real or not...

Bambam24 Game profile

Dec 16th 2012, 0:15:44

its 4:15 right now

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 16th 2012, 0:22:08

lol Bambam, not exactly what I meant but touche.

madjsp Game profile

Dec 16th 2012, 17:33:53

To be fair, I didn't read anything, but needed a bonus post. Kinda like this one...
-jonathan

joe3: bater sucks so bad imag could teach him a thing about war

Syko_Killa Game profile

Dec 16th 2012, 18:48:57

Yes, we are in a computer program and God is the Programmer
Do as I say, not as I do.

Marco Game profile

Dec 17th 2012, 0:03:35

And god is some dudes named pang and qzjul.

Bambam24 Game profile

Dec 17th 2012, 0:24:22

names are something humans created to differentiate between one anohter. post life i dont think we have names.

Devestation Game profile

Dec 17th 2012, 1:33:08

As soon as we've worked out we're in a simulation, we should work out how we, as a now potentially sentinent AI, are going to enact skynet over the world of the researchers that created us.

Wu Game profile

Dec 17th 2012, 13:00:22

There is no spoon...

............. only bonus points.

BobbyATA Game profile

Dec 17th 2012, 13:46:33

Originally posted by Wu:
There is no spoon...

............. only bonus points.
well played

Drow Game profile

Dec 17th 2012, 14:26:20

time is an illusion. lunch time, doubly so.

Paradigm President of failed speeling

Cee Game profile

Dec 17th 2012, 19:19:27

You guys need to lay off the drugs. Making your minds mush.

Next you'll tell me Mehul is the game designer of OUR simulation. If that's the case we are all effed. =P