Verified:

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

May 10th 2012, 14:22:11

i forget. why do they have to get married again? so they can provide a loving environment and demonstrate stability to raise the children that they ain't going to produce?
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

Alin Game profile

May 10th 2012, 14:46:00

An old american man goes to the emigration office :

a)-"i wanna emigrate to Mexico"
b)-"But why?"
a)-" When i was 15 homosexuality was banned, when i turned up 28 i was almost raped by a fag, at 40 i saw the first live marriage btw two persons, now it is addmited and encouraged by law. I am getting the the fluff out of here until it becomes obligatory"

P.S: didn`t read any of the wall of text here - just saying.

Klown Game profile

May 10th 2012, 15:30:51

I would vote against gay marriage in my state. Heterosexual marriage is the way things have been for all of history. In order to impose fundamental change on society, there ought to be a solid public benefit for doing so. I do not see the benefit here. It benefits a small minority that wants a gay marriage at the cost, in my opinion, of the public morality. There are many groups out there with many demands for change to society. We cant concede to everyone or what would we end up with? With that said, its my personal standard of right and wrong and i dont support any step beyond voting against it in my state. People supporting a constitutional amendment are crazy imo. I wouldnt even really mind if it passed in my state if thats what the public wants. I just wouldnt vote to rubber stamp what i view as immoral.

PapewaioAcoma Game profile

May 10th 2012, 16:20:37

Originally posted by Dibs Ludicrous:
i forget. why do they have to get married again? so they can provide a loving environment and demonstrate stability to raise the children that they ain't going to produce?

With that logic, lets ban old people past reproductive age from marrying. Also, throw in infertile hetero couples as well, since they can't reproduce either. Seriously though, how exactly are two people in a committed, loving relationship wanting to receive the same rights as everyone else does, going to hurt you or impact your life?

Marriage is a contract between two people. You get your marriage license from the state you live it. In fact, it doesn't even require a religious personage to perform the ceremony.

Holy matrimony is the religious institution that most people refer to as marriage.

In fact, unless you go through the proper process, file the correct paperwork, you are not married by the law, only within the church. Which is why most church ministers/priests/etc are officers of the state.

For a country all about freedom, we apparently very intent on denying groups we don't understand or agree with or even hate those basic freedoms we take for granted. In the past, we persecuted and denied rights to african-americans, to women, to inter-racial couples. Now, we are doing the same to same-sex couples.

They want the same rights hetero couples get, such as:
Social Security Benefits
-Spousal survivor benefit
-Surviving child benefit
-Spousal retirement benefit
-Lump-sum death benefit

Tax Benefits
-Filing joint income tax returns with the IRS
-Creating a "family partnership."
-Child Tax Credit
-Head of household status
-EIC credit
-Health insurance tax (burden on employee and employee)
-Tax on Gain from the Sale of the Taxpayer’s Principal Residence
-Estate Tax

Estate Tax and Estate Planning Benefits
-Estate and gift tax exemption
-Estate Tax "Portability."
-life estate trusts

Veteran and Military Benefits
Federal Employment Benefits
Immigration Benefits
FMLA

The LGBT community is not going to destroy the sanctity of marriage. Heteros have been doing that for thousands of years. 50% of marriage ends in divorce. Obviously, the "sanctity" of marriage is a problem already. They are also not going to "screw up" their kids. Not anymore than heteros have been doing for ages.

May 10th 2012, 16:25:00

get rid of those rights then because Single people can't take advantage of them.

"their kids"? how are they having kids? don't they know that they have to engage in hetrosexual activity to do that? how can they be gay if they're engaging in hetrosexual activity?

Edited By: Dibs Ludicrous on May 10th 2012, 16:31:12
See Original Post

Raf Game profile

May 10th 2012, 16:29:28

Dibs your missing the point. Being legally married entitles you to a list of rights ranging from inheritance, immigration/residency rights, bereavement or sick leave to care for a partner, status as next-of-kin for hospital visits and medical decisions where one partner is too ill to be competent. That is just a few items that a legal marriage provides people. There is no reason for the state to deny those rights using religious justifications.

Stability and loving environment are not provided by marriage. It is provided by the individuals raising a child. It really has nothing to do with a legal marriage (aside from being legally married affords you rights in case of divorce with regards to children). Having children isn't a requirement for legal marriage. Saying two people can't biologically produce a child so they should be denied the benefits of a legal marriage makes no sense. You could use the same logic to deny a marriage when one person is sterile.

Alin you could substitute women rights or african american rights into those statements. And find poeple who felt the same but you would probably have different feelings about it.

Klown that is fine and your right. The same system that gives you the rights has checks and balances in place. The historical argument was used for a lot of things. Historically women had no right to vote and Historically African american did not have the same civil liberties.
+RAF

May 10th 2012, 16:34:45

i'm not missing the point. the point is that married couples were given those rights because it was pretty much expected that they would be raising children.

it doesn't address the fact that Single people do not have the same rights as Married people, or do they?

Trife Game profile

May 10th 2012, 18:47:02

Originally posted by Klown:
Originally posted by Trife:
north carolina is pretty bass ackwards. not surprising they passed that stupid measure

Seriously? Every single time, in every single state, including liberal states like California that a measure banning gay marriage has been placed on the ballot, it has passed.

Seriously. It's surprising that more progressive states (California) have rejected whatever proposition/amendments that come up. It's not surprising when red states do this.

And yes, NC is bass ackwards (for many reasons) because gay marriage was already illegal in the state. All they did was add it to the state constitution. So what the hell was the point of this amendment? Does NC not have anything fluffing better to do?

All it did was tie up a huge amount of resources just so Christians could have a nice little hate-filled circlejerk. Congrats?

'Claiming that someone else's marriage is against your religion is like being angry at someone for eating a donut because you're on a diet.'

edit: i clicked the wrong button and posted an empty post

Edited By: Trife on May 10th 2012, 18:56:35
See Original Post

Klown Game profile

May 10th 2012, 18:51:51

north carolina is pretty bass ackwards. not surprising they passed that stupid measure

Seriously? Every single time, in every single state, including liberal states like California that a measure banning gay marriage has been placed on the ballot, it has passed.

?

Raf Game profile

May 10th 2012, 18:53:20

Originally posted by Dibs Ludicrous:
get rid of those rights then because Single people can't take advantage of them.

"their kids"? how are they having kids? don't they know that they have to engage in hetrosexual activity to do that? how can they be gay if they're engaging in hetrosexual activity?

You can have kids with out being their biological parents. Adoption or using a surrogate. Those are their kids whether the parents are straight or gay.

Being single does not deny you those rights. You have the option to get legally married if you decide to at any time. Doing so will give you and your spouse those rights. It is essentially your right to enter into marriage and by doing so entitle yourself to those items.

If your issue was with the availability of legal marriage at all I could see you make a case for that. But not when you only want to exclude a group based on sexual orientation.
+RAF

Trife Game profile

May 10th 2012, 18:57:01

?

sorry, misclicked, but edited that post now

May 10th 2012, 19:19:17

my issue is that i don't have enough alcohol at the moment. well, plus i haven't made enough money to buy a boat which i can sail off into the sunset in. why on earth would i want to get married since i can stay single? 50% divorce rate? so that basically means i'd end up in court or end up paying for somebody who don't love me anymore. bah, i already contribute enough to pay for other people's kids.

Junky Game profile

May 10th 2012, 19:19:32

If people really respected the saintity of Marriage... our Divorouse<sp rate would be 0... how many people get married just to get divorsed 2 months down the line.. people are not trying to force Religions to marry gay/lesbian couples. They could easily get a marrage certifucate<sp from the local courthouse, or where ever you go to get one.
I Maybe Crazy... But atleast I'm crazy.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

May 11th 2012, 16:30:06

@dibs.. your argument that single people are disadvantaged by these things is a valid one. However that's somewhat offtopic for this thread:P

The biggest deterrent to marriage is the high failure rate and the fact that you can potentially be supporting your ex-spouse for the rest of their life.
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

Trixx Game profile

May 11th 2012, 18:48:51

Originally posted by Deerhunter:
I will ALWAYS vote against gay marriage. I am totally fine with civil unions but marriage in my book (bible and nature) is only defined between a man and a woman. And no, sex changes do not count.

the vote was a constitutional amendment banning marriage AND civil unions
-=Trixx=-
Head of AT Spammage

May 11th 2012, 19:38:37

Originally posted by martian:
@dibs.. your argument that single people are disadvantaged by these things is a valid one. However that's somewhat offtopic for this thread:P

The biggest deterrent to marriage is the high failure rate and the fact that you can potentially be supporting your ex-spouse for the rest of their life.

what is this offtopic that you speak of? i don't think the government should be in the Marriage/Divorce business, least not without charging a substantial fee for processing it. if Single people had the same rights as Married people then it wouldn't matter whether you got Married or not.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

May 11th 2012, 22:33:38

In canada to be legally married you need to go to a municipal office and purchase a marriage liscence which needs to be signed by both parties and witnesses. That is it. Government does collect a fee;P

The only time that there is more scrutiny is in the event of seperation or if you marry a non-citizen and they apply for landed immigrant status based on being married to you...
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

May 11th 2012, 22:36:32

Originally posted by martian:
In canada to be legally married you need to go to a municipal office and purchase a marriage liscence which needs to be signed by both parties and witnesses. That is it. Government does collect a fee;P

The only time that there is more scrutiny is in the event of seperation or if you marry a non-citizen and they apply for landed immigrant status based on being married to you...

do they collect a fee for making a judgement in the divorce? or is that paid for with tax payer money?

Jiman Game profile

May 11th 2012, 23:01:01

I dont freaking care who the hell gets married, as long if they have kids they are smart enough and have enough money to provide for everyone.

I would think in most cases since its harder for two males to get a child that they would work harder to have a nice home for the child.

Anyways, moo.

Trixx Game profile

May 11th 2012, 23:18:40

/me molesters Jiman

I also don't give an F who gets married. They aren't asking to get married in my church. They want the legal benefits from a long term committed relationship then so be it.
-=Trixx=-
Head of AT Spammage

Bobs Your Uncle Game profile

May 14th 2012, 19:39:14

okay

iTarl Game profile

May 14th 2012, 20:49:20

They want the same rights hetero couples get, such as:
Social Security Benefits
-Spousal survivor benefit
-Surviving child benefit
-Spousal retirement benefit
-Lump-sum death benefit

Tax Benefits
-Filing joint income tax returns with the IRS
-Creating a "family partnership."
-Child Tax Credit
-Head of household status
-EIC credit
-Health insurance tax (burden on employee and employee)
-Tax on Gain from the Sale of the Taxpayer’s Principal Residence
-Estate Tax

Estate Tax and Estate Planning Benefits
-Estate and gift tax exemption
-Estate Tax "Portability."
-life estate trusts

Veteran and Military Benefits
Federal Employment Benefits
Immigration Benefits

then meet the standard, marry some one from the opposite gender
if you dont want to fine, quit yah complaining

cyref Game profile

EE Patron

May 14th 2012, 20:57:31

that's ez to say when you aren't the one being shorted of particular rights.
It's not that long ago that interracial marriages were not allowed either, by the same kind of bigotry.
👽

cyref Game profile

EE Patron

May 14th 2012, 21:26:16

If you are a thoughtful person, on which side would you want to align yourself?

this
http://youtu.be/wRxjJZFGgNM

or this?
http://youtu.be/-j0fNv2bAmE

Edited By: cyref on May 18th 2012, 1:35:49. Reason: 1st url went private
See Original Post
👽

PapewaioAcoma Game profile

May 15th 2012, 20:57:05

Originally posted by iTarl:
then meet the standard, marry some one from the opposite gender
if you dont want to fine, quit yah complaining

That's like saying to women or african-americans who couldn't vote in the past, if you want the right to vote, just change what sex or race you were born as to "meet the standard."

Atryn Game profile

May 16th 2012, 3:17:30

Originally posted by mrford:
...scouting is a private and religious organization. People have been stripped of their eagle scout status for announcing their lack of Christian faith, and even I had to stretch the truth a little about my faith in order to pass my Eagle board.

Yes, indeed. I was actually KICKED OUT of the CUB SCOUTS at the age of 8 for refusing to testify to my belief in God.

I kinda feel bad for the boy scouts that come to my house now trying to sell me popcorn.... kinda....