Verified:

jonw Game profile

Jan 12th 2012, 3:57:23

Would you vote for a president that is not married, or one who isnt married, or should it not matter? Just wanted to see peoples oppinions.
In my oppinion marital status shouldnt come in to play as an election pro or con.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 12th 2012, 4:00:22

I don't really care; however in politics a non-married president isn't likely for the foreseeable future... However if you would of asked me like 10 years ago if we'd have a half black president I would of said you're crazy so maybe?

We still haven't had a pure black president... And a chick is bound to happen some day.

jabberwocky Game profile

Jan 12th 2012, 4:13:50

There's so much research done regarding how people make voting decisions. People generally vote with how they feel about a candidate, so as long as marriage remains a status quo in american culture and it increases a persons relatability, then i doubt you'll see a non married person for the head office. Paradigms certainly shift, and there's lot of examples of non-married elected officials, however the national narrative dictated to us seems to put a lot of stock in people being married. Just look at the earlier republican candidate debate, and how much they spent talking about their families. http://www.thedailyshow.com/...lican-debate-is-a-success

Totally irrelevant (at least in my mind) to a persons ability to govern, but gee someone must think it is, because it comes up a ton.

Edited By: jabberwocky on Jan 12th 2012, 4:23:52
See Original Post

Mr Charcoal Game profile

Jan 12th 2012, 4:21:15

That's what's wrong with politics. The preseident's marital status, race, or physical appearance should not play a part. A great leader is a great leader. If the person is qualified, let them lead.

Look at Hanlong, Head of LaF, Ugly arse Mofo!

<3 hanlong
Originally posted by NOW3P:
Religion is like a penis - it's perfectly fine to have one, but you're best served not whipping it out in public and waving it in people's faces.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 12th 2012, 4:28:59

Originally posted by MrCharcoal:
That's what's wrong with politics. The preseident's marital status, race, or physical appearance should not play a part. A great leader is a great leader. If the person is qualified, let them lead.

<3 hanlong

I think a lot of people think this way however that is not the reality we live in. I agree 100%.

iScode Game profile

Jan 12th 2012, 4:33:45

I think a good leader will have someone they can trust and confide in and a spouse is good for that. I think a marital partner is a good thing for a leader to have however it would not change my vote if I thought the guy could do the job and he did not have a wife.
iScode
God of War

DEATH TO SOV!

highrock Game profile

Jan 12th 2012, 4:38:06

It's not about whether they are married per se, but about what it says about that person. Let's face it. There is absolutely no way we can tell for sure whether or not a person would do a good job, so we have to look for signals. One of them is whether or not they have a stable personal life as an indicator of how they are as a person and how they are likely to deal with people and situations.

It's like saying it doesn't matter whether the President went to college or not as long as they are capable and know their stuff, but it's highly unlikely we would vote for somebody without a college degree as it's a tangible indicator of fairly intangible qualities.
formerly Viola MD

BobbyATA Game profile

Jan 12th 2012, 4:39:36

Originally posted by highrock:
It's not about whether they are married per se, but about what it says about that person. Let's face it. There is absolutely no way we can tell for sure whether or not a person would do a good job, so we have to look for signals. One of them is whether or not they have a stable personal life as an indicator of how they are as a person and how they are likely to deal with people and situations.

It's like saying it doesn't matter whether the President went to college or not as long as they are capable and know their stuff, but it's highly unlikely we would vote for somebody without a college degree as it's a tangible indicator of fairly intangible qualities.

hawkeyee Game profile

Jan 12th 2012, 5:50:44

Highrock - you can't compare a college education to a spouse. Going to college is an indication of your motivation and aptitude in terms of gaining an education. Education is a requirement of the types of jobs that would give an individual the kind of experience required to do a good job at president. Getting married is not a requirement of anything. How is choosing not to get married indicative of an unstable personal life? Life closes many doors if you don't get an education. Not so if you don't get married. In fact, it's marriage that closes certain doors.
Minister
The Omega
Omega Retal Policy/Contacts: http://tinyurl.com/owpvakm (Earth Wiki)
Apply: http://tinyurl.com/mydc8by (Boxcar)

Mr Charcoal Game profile

Jan 12th 2012, 6:00:25

*confirmed

Getting married closes many doors, such as the dungeon
Originally posted by NOW3P:
Religion is like a penis - it's perfectly fine to have one, but you're best served not whipping it out in public and waving it in people's faces.

Pain Game profile

Jan 12th 2012, 6:56:51

just think of how much better off bill clinton would have been if he wasnt married.

Your mother is a nice woman

Atryn Game profile

Jan 12th 2012, 13:29:30

married or not married doesn't matter.

However, the reasons behind such "might" matter. I don't care about the Prsident's sexual orientation. But a chronic liar who is divorced after numerous cheating scandals and has children not being properly supported would be an entirely different thing.

I am not in favor of "marriage" as a government sactioned institution. I don't think the government should be involved in marriage at all. That is a matter for people's individual belief systems and/or churches. Some states adopted "marriage" for heterosexual couples and "civil unions" for other couples. IMHO, ALL couples should have "civil unions" in the eyes of the law/government (under contract law) and "marriage" should be left to the religious sphere.

trumper Game profile

Jan 12th 2012, 14:22:04

It may matter to some people and that's fine. Who am I to say I'm right in casting judgment for how to select the President? I certainly have my beliefs, I will articulate where I stand on items, and I will even try to convince people to change or decide for a given candidate, but what I won't do is pretend to have a monopoly on how someone decides to vote. Alternatively I do wish there was some basic way of making people spend more than 10 seconds deciding their votes such as simply putting a name on the ballot without party affiliations, but this would conflict with my first point hence I don't really push it except for saying I wish it were the case.

sigma Game profile

Jan 12th 2012, 15:33:40

Originally posted by hawkeyee:
Highrock - you can't compare a college education to a spouse. Going to college is an indication of your motivation and aptitude in terms of gaining an education. Education is a requirement of the types of jobs that would give an individual the kind of experience required to do a good job at president. Getting married is not a requirement of anything. How is choosing not to get married indicative of an unstable personal life? Life closes many doors if you don't get an education. Not so if you don't get married. In fact, it's marriage that closes certain doors.

You're trying to manipulate his point. It wasn't that unmarried have unstable personal lives. It is that being married is indicative of a stable personal life.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 12th 2012, 15:51:16

I dunno, I know a lot of people who have less stable lives married than they did before (or after a divorce in some cases) heh
Finally did the signature thing.

Detmer Game profile

Jan 12th 2012, 15:56:22

Originally posted by Atryn:
married or not married doesn't matter.

However, the reasons behind such "might" matter. I don't care about the Prsident's sexual orientation. But a chronic liar who is divorced after numerous cheating scandals and has children not being properly supported would be an entirely different thing.

I am not in favor of "marriage" as a government sactioned institution. I don't think the government should be involved in marriage at all. That is a matter for people's individual belief systems and/or churches. Some states adopted "marriage" for heterosexual couples and "civil unions" for other couples. IMHO, ALL couples should have "civil unions" in the eyes of the law/government (under contract law) and "marriage" should be left to the religious sphere.

I have been espousing (get it? ;)) this view for years and agree completely with you.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Jan 12th 2012, 16:47:04

in terms of driving statistics, married men are less likely to have accidents than single men. However that could very well be that they have less overall driving to do than single men and/or they have someone to back them up when driving is necessary but not optimal for them.

As far as politics go: I don't see why it matters although it doesn't seem that any potential US presidential candidate with a decent chance is single. Female president is probably more likely to happen than a non-married one imo.
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

jabberwocky Game profile

Jan 12th 2012, 18:26:18

You guys are trying to apply logic and reason to why marriage would be good or bad, the problem is that most people dont think that far or very much at all when voting. Try asking people why they voted for someone and youre likely to recieve a curt answer about some salient point the person made or how the other guys an idiot. Youll find very little depth to that opinion. I admit i dont know very much about my local congressman or state senators, but ive been told they are good so i support them (mind you ive been living in canada for the past six years and know a ton about canadian politics, but still). Be honest, how much do you really know about your politicians and what they do.

BobbyATA Game profile

Jan 12th 2012, 18:40:56

Originally posted by martian:
in terms of driving statistics, married men are less likely to have accidents than single men. However that could very well be that they have less overall driving to do than single men and/or they have someone to back them up when driving is necessary but not optimal for them.

As far as politics go: I don't see why it matters although it doesn't seem that any potential US presidential candidate with a decent chance is single. Female president is probably more likely to happen than a non-married one imo.

This can't possibly be true I know a married guy who is a terrible driver!

Marshal Game profile

Jan 12th 2012, 21:37:26

would you accept gay as prez? small chance that we get it.

would you accept prez whois married to much younger woman? high chances that we get it.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

Deerhunter Game profile

Jan 12th 2012, 23:00:20

Part of the presidents job is to represent the US to foreign heads of state. Therefore, i think it is best he is married. Strong family values is what has helped to make America great. That and we have baseball.
Ya, tho i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I shall fear no retals,
Cause i have the biggest, baddest, and toughest country in the valley!

Detmer Game profile

Jan 12th 2012, 23:20:04

Originally posted by Deerhunter:
Strong family values is what has helped to make America great.

On what basis can you make that statement? I guess, what part of America do you think is great?

Atryn Game profile

Jan 13th 2012, 12:58:35

Marshal: Check out this story (and listen if you can stream where you are, don't just read the transcript) from StoryCorps in Kentucky. Unfortunately, this fit 100% my view of Kentucky from my travels there as well.

http://www.npr.org/...and-who-im-supposed-to-be

Oceana Game profile

Jan 13th 2012, 13:05:09

We already have done the Bachelor President, So yesterday:
James Buchanan (1857–1861) oh maybe thats why a bunch of states quit.

Brink Game profile

Jan 13th 2012, 13:59:48

Actually 2 bachelors have been elected President.

There have also been a number of widowers, that were unmarried.

Our greatest President was divorced.

VP Burr separated from his wife 4 months into office. He might have been President, but lost the 36th tie breaker vote to become President. He had tied for first 35 times before some votes were withheld.

jonw Game profile

Jan 16th 2012, 22:18:05

Thanks for yalls. opinions

hanlong Game profile

Jan 16th 2012, 22:26:26

Originally posted by MrCharcoal:

<3 hanlong

that's not what you told me last night :( you told me i was beautiful. i feel used like a 21 year old drunk girl at a bar
Don Hanlong
Don of La Famiglia

davidoss Game profile

Jan 16th 2012, 23:22:47

LOL