Verified:

Detmer Game profile

Dec 2nd 2011, 22:07:48

I have nfi what is going on, but I just wanted to let everyone know it is safe to resume planning your circle jerks.

Also if you dislike landtrading you can suck my fluff.*

Seriously, landtrading will happen if it is in it's current form. Lets put ours heads together to develop a mechanism that encourages grabbing, but not the sort of stuff that happens now that is so contentious. I was talking to Pang about it today, and while I have not come up with any slick ways to encourage grabbing without the back and forth acre generation known as retals... I mean landtrading that people get upset about.

Wow, this post ended up containing a lot of penis references (especially if I mean put our heads together like sword fighting)

*Note I will also allow people who like landtrading to suck my fluff.

archaic Game profile

Dec 2nd 2011, 22:09:05

Uhm, yeah!

/me sharpens sword (the other sword)
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

Detmer Game profile

Dec 2nd 2011, 22:11:56

Also, PDM is currently accepting applicants.

Women and children are given top priority. (We already have a lot of burly clowns.)

http://paradigm.boxcarhosting.com

Rockman Game profile

Dec 2nd 2011, 22:13:37

Country:country retals only, and no suiciding just because you weren't good enough to defend your land from bottomfeeders. But no one will agree to the no suiciding requirement :(

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 2nd 2011, 22:16:42

Detmer that's a lot of begging for someone to suck your fluff! Are you not being satisfied IRL... You need to have TAN come over more often then!

Detmer Game profile

Dec 2nd 2011, 22:21:19

Originally posted by Rockman:
Country:country retals only, and no suiciding just because you weren't good enough to defend your land from bottomfeeders. But no one will agree to the no suiciding requirement :(

I agree with you completely, we can not rely on, ever even reach a set of accepted codes to go with. There is a very fine line between organized land trading and not, and fighting wars to stamp out landtrading will never even truly be effective. That is why the change has to come as a game mechanic.

H4xOr WaNgEr Game profile

Forum Moderator

Dec 2nd 2011, 22:25:37

Why does it have to come as a game mechanic change?

More rules seem to exist on this server via convention than actual game rules.

Trife Game profile

Dec 2nd 2011, 22:39:14

Originally posted by Detmer:

heh, he said penis

TAN Game profile

Dec 2nd 2011, 22:53:19

Denied.
FREEEEEDOM!!!

Detmer Game profile

Dec 2nd 2011, 22:59:24

Originally posted by H4xOr WaNgEr:
Why does it have to come as a game mechanic change?

More rules seem to exist on this server via convention than actual game rules.

Like what?

Forum Moderator

Dec 2nd 2011, 23:03:36

like "standard retal policy" for example.

Noware in the game rules is anything related to retaling referenced. But there is a "standard policy" that is widely accepted, which operates purely off convention.

Forum Moderator

Dec 2nd 2011, 23:05:08

and that in of itself makes this dicussion moot.

You are asking people to change game mechanics in order to support/remove behaviour that has occured due to alliance policy, not game mechanics.

There is no rule that says you have the right to attack someone back after they attack you. By extension there is no rule that says you can't farm landtraders because you don't like landtrading. Etc.

Detmer Game profile

Dec 2nd 2011, 23:15:07

Well, I don't know what standard retal policy would be... I definitely have no acceptance of any non-PDM standard =P I only use Paradigm's if you will ;)

I agree that there are methods that people can employ, but I think the end-member consequence of two people shacking up and optimally exchanging hits is what the admins intended as landgrabbing promotion.

TAN Game profile

Dec 2nd 2011, 23:24:04

His point is the entire convention of "retalling" is based off of convention and an unspoken understanding between players of the game. The fact that "retalling" exists is not in dispute - only the details.
FREEEEEDOM!!!

Detmer Game profile

Dec 3rd 2011, 1:27:09

Originally posted by TAN:
His point is the entire convention of "retalling" is based off of convention and an unspoken understanding between players of the game. The fact that "retalling" exists is not in dispute - only the details.

It is natural for people to want to get revenge. You are able to control whether or not people can get revenge through choosing your targets, altering your defense, etc. In primary not everyone accepts retals even, although that usually ends up in their country having a worse result.

de1i Game profile

Dec 3rd 2011, 1:39:40

Tan/Detmer, come to Ellensburg.

Flamey Game profile

Dec 3rd 2011, 1:40:38

Dont see anything wrong with the policy SoF uses. 1:1 retals for midfeeds and land:land for topfeeds. We consider a topfeed when the defender has 125% more land than the attacker before the attack. It might be arbitary, but we've never had any probs. It's not too hard to make a gain on land, unless you make a fail attack or fail retal.

Atryn Game profile

Dec 3rd 2011, 1:41:01

Once again landtrading is referred to as "shacking up"... I see what you are doing around here....

Lord Slayer Game profile

Dec 3rd 2011, 2:23:14

Any land:land retals takes away any point of lg'ing.

Detmer Game profile

Dec 3rd 2011, 3:10:43

Originally posted by Lord Slayer:
Any land:land retals takes away any point of lg'ing.

I disagree. If you only allow 1:1 retals for cross country then you maintain tag retaliation status without removing the point of grabbing. If you don't allow people to self-retal L:L though, then you remove the benefit of running a country that is any good because it says if you are above average then you are just a target. (There is a sweet spot between carrying a lot of defense/blending in and having a fluff ton of acres).

archaic Game profile

Dec 3rd 2011, 3:45:14

I cannot believe people still talk about topfeeds as if they exist.

Detmer Game profile

Dec 3rd 2011, 4:10:13

Originally posted by archaic:
I cannot believe people still talk about topfeeds as if they exist.

Confirmed.

And Ellensburg... mmm maybe... you should come to Madison. I'd say we could make a trip to Green Bay but good fluffing luck getting tickets

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 3rd 2011, 7:22:41

Ghost acres are over powered. There should be a lot less. If you have to rebuild 3k acres to gain 400 then people would be a lot less likely to land trade...

Ivan Game profile

Dec 3rd 2011, 9:12:11

lol i cant believe some people still try to pull the topfeeds doesnt exist

as for landtrading get policies that encourages grabbing but not back and forth all day

TAN Game profile

Dec 3rd 2011, 12:57:25

Ellensburg? Ewwww.
FREEEEEDOM!!!

ZIP Game profile

Dec 3rd 2011, 13:02:17

just say no to L:L ! like drugs
fluff your 300 Spartans fool - i have 32 of the biggest fluffed mother fluffers made of titanium !!
A brigade from Blackstreetboyz (#91) has invaded your lands! Your defenses held against the invaders and forced them away! Your military lost:1 Troops

Oceana Game profile

Dec 3rd 2011, 13:21:32

Instead of positive ghost acres it should be a Negetive (wasted acres), so as to piss people off when hit, makes for more realistic. Then there would be no Land Trading just Land grabing.
Or make Mil. strat start at a .8 instead of 1 and then have it effect how Ghost acres get factored so as in a 20% ghost loss and then become the current Ghost positive as the start tech goes above 1.00 .

KingKaosKnows

Dec 3rd 2011, 14:48:36

Topfeeds aka smaller country getting more gains/reward for breaking a bigger country was coded out of the game, so yeah, TOPFEEDs don't exist.

Now we have vicious midfeeds in with countries hit land fat countries with the same networth, a completely different thing.

Land:Land on anything else besides C:C is a huge pile of fluff; server policy should be C:C L:L for single hits, 3 Retals on double Taps (escalating) and no more than a single hit every 24/48 hours (otherwise people will exploit the C:C retal rule and destroy the retal capabilities of countries by hitting the same country too much) aka LCN makes a hit, then LaF, then MD and the poor bastard has to retal all hits on his own.

I propose the following policy for the server to encourage Land Grabbing and player interaction.

1 hit every 48 hours (to give a fair shot to busy people) = C:C Land:Land until at least 70% of the land has been taken and the other 30% can be filled by Ghost Acres.

Second Hit under 48 hours 1:2(escalating) and can be done by anyone in the defenders tag, this is regardless of the situation that lead to the second hit:
MD hits PDM (C:C L:L)
12 seconds later
Evolution Hits the same country in PDM (1:2)
44 hours later
LaF hits the same country in PDM (1:3)

In the case of Farming an alliance by being an asshole, the following will apply

Country A in PDM hits countries B, C and D in ICN under 48 hours

First hit C:C L:L
Second hit C:C L:L
Third hit 1:3

if a country has done excessive farming on a Tag more than 10 hits in the last 120 hours, then that alliance will make FA contact, if no possible solution can be reached then that country gets killed (probably would even get to that point before a war starts).

Att: KKK

Rockman Game profile

Dec 3rd 2011, 16:34:43

Topfeeds don't exist? What do you call it when a country with 58 million networth on 18k acres makes a 40 million jet PS on another country?

KingKaosKnows

Dec 3rd 2011, 17:29:26

As far as the traditional sense of the word (uber gains by being smaller) topfeeds don't exists.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 3rd 2011, 17:34:33

That's not topfeeding rockman. The only way to maximize your gains now is to be roughly the same size, which by definition is not topfeeding.

diez Game profile

Dec 3rd 2011, 17:58:56

if that's the definiton of topfeeding, then we'll have to change how we play the game. RIP stockpiling.

Not saying that it would be a bad idea btw... :p

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 3rd 2011, 18:11:40

Topfeeds were not coded out of the game.

KingKaosKnows

Dec 3rd 2011, 18:22:46

Then why I got fluff gains when I made an all jetter and grabbed a country much bigger than mine?

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 3rd 2011, 18:24:29

You and your ilk have claimed that the admins coded topfeeding out of the game. That is a factually incorrect statement.

KingKaosKnows

Dec 3rd 2011, 18:34:27

It was never added to begin with?

If you are trolling me...

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 3rd 2011, 18:42:46

No, it was the same formula.

Ivan Game profile

Dec 3rd 2011, 22:43:43

looks like someone needs to remove the last part of his name :P

hanlong Game profile

Dec 3rd 2011, 23:29:16

PENIS?
Don Hanlong
Don of La Famiglia

locket Game profile

Dec 4th 2011, 0:52:35

Originally posted by Slagpit:
You and your ilk have claimed that the admins coded topfeeding out of the game. That is a factually incorrect statement.

why must all your posts sounds so insulting or angry :P

Helmet Game profile

Dec 4th 2011, 1:55:18

You only get ghost acres the 1st time you hit a country.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 4th 2011, 2:40:39

Explain yourself then. Your post is about as worthless as you are ;)

Detmer Game profile

Dec 4th 2011, 4:20:16

Originally posted by Requiem:

Explain yourself then. Your post is about as worthless as you are ;)

Don't feed the trolls.

KingKaosKnows

Dec 4th 2011, 11:21:58

Unless he is a cannibal troll and he is laying a sweet sweet troll trap

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 4th 2011, 23:21:28

Explain myself how? I reverse engineered the formula back in the Earth 2025 days. I implemented the formula in this game. You're wrong about topfeeding.

You don't know fluff but you think this is up for debate because you're such a special snowflake? fluff off.

Helmet Game profile

Dec 5th 2011, 0:11:35

I thought this thread was to brainstorm. lol

Chaoswind Game profile

Dec 5th 2011, 0:24:38

wow wow...
Elysium Lord of fluff
PDM Lord of fluff
Flamey = Fatty
Crazymatt is Fatty 2

de1i Game profile

Dec 5th 2011, 2:19:11

Green Bay!

You were from Connell right TAN? They just won State for the second year in a row.

archaic Game profile

Dec 5th 2011, 2:54:42

Explain myself how? I reverse engineered the formula back in the Earth 2025 days. I implemented the formula in this game. You're wrong about topfeeding.

You don't know fluff but you think this is up for debate because you're such a special snowflake? fluff off.

So the landgrabbing formulas from Earth2025 are EXACTLY the same as the ones we use now huh?

Bullfluff slaggy, bullfluff.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Dec 5th 2011, 3:08:01

So wait... You're saying that it's the same formula as Earth 2025? Sure doesn't seem like it butter cup.