Verified:

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Oct 20th 2011, 21:24:27

http://blogs.wsj.com/.../19/what-percent-are-you/

although you can always read:
http://www.businessinsider.com/...ent-2011-10#ixzz1bLaBGd6Y

keep in mind the first in household, the second in individual hence the discrepancy

you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

GreenMan Game profile

Oct 20th 2011, 21:55:55

WSJ does households which is often 2 people while business insider shows individuals. Hard to compare really.

Business insider shows $26k median, while WSJ shows $43k. I wonder if that 13k difference is solely due to households vs. individuals.

Detmer Game profile

Oct 20th 2011, 21:58:12

I am fairly skeptical of those numbers. I would really like to see their methodology on this - namely what groups they have included (part time, full time, students, unemployed, etc)

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Oct 21st 2011, 7:40:32

dunno. i kinda gave up trying to follow links on my PSP because it can't handle the advertisements.

part of the % that pays too much extra taxes for exercising my freedom in using legally sold products. such as alcohol and tobacco.

what's it matter anyway? it's just a baseline to determine how much money people are allowed to borrow.

Edited By: Dibs Ludicrous on Oct 21st 2011, 7:43:47. Reason: dang typos!
See Original Post
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

CC Game profile

Oct 21st 2011, 9:30:45

you trust Wall Street Journal? it has long gone down the route of Fox News.
Canterbury Crusader (CC)
Evolution

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Oct 21st 2011, 17:54:58

In canada it's easier to figure out (for individual income) since aggregate statistics from our tax agency are easy to obtain. Of course it doesn't take black/grey market dealings into account but it probably wouldn't be too far off the mark.
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Oct 21st 2011, 17:56:39

(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

Shinigami Game profile

Oct 21st 2011, 18:14:19

Dibs uses a PSP?

Suddenly things make so much sense.

trumper Game profile

Oct 21st 2011, 18:14:38

I feel poor in our household income being 84% percentile. There are some 1%ers on here.

Oct 21st 2011, 18:16:00

i don't understand the question. how much money do you want me to make?
considering that i'm pretty much happy just sitting around all day smoking and getting drunk?
i should probably quit teaching the computer to do the work for me.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Oct 21st 2011, 18:20:40

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/...2-x/2009000/hl-fs-eng.htm

About 634,000 children younger than 18 lived in low-income families in 2009, unchanged from 2008. The proportion of children in low-income families was 9.5% in 2009, half the 1996 peak of 18%.

love that stat! :p

i looked up the US version:
http://nccp.org/publications/pub_678.html

How many children in the United States live in low-income families?
There are 73 million children in the United States.

39%—28.4 million—live in low-income families.
18%—12.8 million—live in poor families.

Have these numbers changed over time?
After a decade of decline, the proportion of children living in low-income families is rising again, a trend that began in 2000.

those are the more important numbers, IMO -- ending a cycle of poverty is important to move an economy forward.
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Oct 21st 2011, 18:26:31

Originally posted by Shinigami:
Dibs uses a PSP?

Suddenly things make so much sense.

i don't use a computer when i'm leeching unsecured internet. well, i don't really want to use a computer for play time. makes it feel like i'm working for free.

archaic Game profile

Oct 21st 2011, 19:54:31

Raw income is such an arbitrary number, my salary is pretty good for rural east Texas, but if I lived in NY, Boston, San Fran etc., I'd be eating in a soup kitchen. Using national averages without factoring in COL is just silly and misleading.
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

Oct 21st 2011, 20:51:15

cost of living is a bit misleading by itself. how much does it cost if you actually own the property?

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Oct 21st 2011, 21:20:01

what percentile you are at just gives you an idea of where you fit relative to everyone else. How you view that and others based on that is your choice. It does give you an idea of relative wealth.

The cost of living argument is misleading as you assume that living in a different location would require you to use the same goods and services in the same amounts which is untrue. If I live closer to work I drive less and hence have lower vehicle expenses for example. Also if you change locations would you want the equivalent property or would your behavior change due to location. "Quality of life" is too subjective as it depends on what values more.

In general though you need $K (adjusted for cost of living) + X (everything for all those nice extras).

The irony is that if you extend that cost of living argument, then poor people are poorer because they live in a more expensive area and should be sent to rural areas because it would be more affordable for them....

(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Oct 21st 2011, 21:21:18

0.8% :-/
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Oct 21st 2011, 21:29:04

cost of living also goes into determing salary for a specific region. they don't pay as much if it's cheaper for you to live there.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Oct 21st 2011, 21:34:12

Dibs: it depends. I think a bunch of other factors fall into it as well tbh. I actually would get a higher salary if I took an equivalent job in Missisippi yet the cost of living there is much lower than where I am.
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

Oct 21st 2011, 21:46:41

there are always exceptions. but i've looked at salaries based on region in the past, and it tended to up along with the COL.

doesn't matter to me. pay me what i ask, or i don't work for ya.

Edited By: Dibs Ludicrous on Oct 21st 2011, 21:49:56
See Original Post

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Oct 21st 2011, 22:39:43

@dibs well that's exactly it isn't it?:P
For me it's where I want to live and for how much. I"m sure if you through enough $$$ at me I would live in Antarctica but it's probably going to be a huge number:P
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

Oct 21st 2011, 22:43:41

yah, well, it's still unimportant compared to a credit rating. it's not like people actually have to live off of what they earn.

nitroxidus Game profile

Oct 21st 2011, 23:15:00

the 1% possess more wealth than the bottom 150 million people combined. or another statistic that's being used, is that the 1% own 40% of the entire nations wealth. the bush tax cuts made that possible, cause they haven't held that much wealth in my life time and perhaps my parents as well. anyone that thinks the 1% hasn't had their bunghole licked the last 12 years by our government is blind cause it hasn't always been this way. and the way it's stacked up and if nothing changes, in a matter of time they will eventually control 50%, then 60%. what comes of things then? they'll own the government and pretty much everyone.

Oct 21st 2011, 23:26:59

yet 40% of the 99% don't have a problem becoming mad fat cows that can afford to buy SUVs to get them to the drive-thru window.

Devestation Game profile

Oct 22nd 2011, 0:33:59

I wonder how many children qualify as being in the "1%".

archaic Game profile

Oct 22nd 2011, 0:38:02

Originally posted by martian:

The irony is that if you extend that cost of living argument, then poor people are poorer because they live in a more expensive area and should be sent to rural areas because it would be more affordable for them....

So we have no poor in rural areas? huh, who knew.

Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Oct 22nd 2011, 0:38:14

dibs watch the personal insults.. and yeah. credit rating and wealth are largely uncorrelated btw.
What always puzzled me about credit score is why people object to it being used for insurance purposes. It's the one thing you can change very easily and have considerable control over.
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

Oct 22nd 2011, 6:46:41

was technically a mass insult, since it involved the Occupy pepples.

isn't a credit score mostly composed of simply whether or not you can pay your bill on time? why would you need it for insurance purposes?

Edited By: Dibs Ludicrous on Oct 22nd 2011, 6:52:41
See Original Post

mrford Game profile

Oct 22nd 2011, 7:11:16

WE ARE THE 99%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!one111!!!!!!
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Oct 24th 2011, 16:12:42

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/...-movement/article2203026/
stats.

@dibs: it's predictive of other behavior. A tendancy not to pay bills on time is correlated with attention to other things and how well you look after your stuff. I've done studies where we looked at people who pay their insurance late vs claims and people who pay their insurance late claim more often and have larger claims. The difference is actually a lot larger than I thought it would be. We weren't allowed to rate based on that but we could charge a "late payment fee" to make up for it....

There is actually a very strong correlation between bad credit score and auto accident rate too.

I should note that the interest is in what is predictive of bad behavior, not why it seems to work.

(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

Oct 24th 2011, 16:41:16

might have something to do with the way insurance companies send out their bills. mine were showing up two weeks before they were due, but that might have been because i was paying the full amount instead of monthly.

meh, people who are having problems paying their bills, might just be a bit distracted.