Verified:

Iovan Game profile

Aug 9th 2011, 8:53:47

I think there should be a government bonus or dependent on construction sites, where a percentage of the buildings that you get from grabbing a country an be refitted to buildings you already have instead of any that you have 0 of (obviously not CS though). The cost of this refit should be taken out on the turns of the grab (destruction cost plus building cost or a percent of them combined). The advantage of this is you won't have to spend any turns building the empty land you would have cleared to rebuild on.

I don't know exactly what percentage would be appropriate (really think a government with this bonus would be best) but I think it could be a useful addition to the game that wouldn't affect very much in the way of balance.

I'm not ready to speculate on what government should get this particular bonus. I just think it's a good idea that makes sense. It doesn't make sense that I attack a country take their land (while destroying a bunch of their buildings) and then save buildings I have no use for and will have to clear at a cost and rebuild.

H Game profile

Aug 9th 2011, 18:24:39

Your taking someone elses land, which has their type of buildings on it... makes sense the way it is I think.

Chaoswind Game profile

Aug 9th 2011, 18:31:03

:/

Making target selection worthless? I don't like this.

Is better if you take the extra time to look for the people doing the same strats as you, why reward the lazy and the people with no ability to look for targets aka SKILL.
Elysium Lord of fluff
PDM Lord of fluff
Flamey = Fatty
Crazymatt is Fatty 2

Iovan Game profile

Aug 9th 2011, 19:18:46

How is it rewarding the lazy if it's only one government type that gets the bonus? I can see your argument for the construction sites but I don't think you even bothered to read my full suggestion. Which is nothing new when it comes to this board.

There is nothing about rewarding the lazy in any case. It would still benefit to find those with similar strats because you still have to PAY for the refit buildings. You don't have to spend turns but you still have to pay. Not to mention that finding targets with similar strats is not always easy.

As for it making sense that you take someone else's land and it has their type of building on it, DUH. I mean really did you even read the reasoning I put forth in my OP before you replied? I explained how it makes sense to refit a building for use rather than SAVE IT during a military invasion. It would make sense for some recycling of a building to take place or for you to instruct your military not to save buildings you will have to tear down anyway.

Chaoswind Game profile

Aug 9th 2011, 21:06:42

Ok, how do you actually Refit Industrial Complex to Farms? or Farms to Industrial Complex?

Oil Rigs > Farms
Farms > Rigs
and so on...

and even so Refitting should take time, and In my eyes the only thing in the game that can be used as a time factor are the turns.

We could say 1 turn = 1 month, so I don't see the goal of this suggestion, you can't just instantly refit Labs to Industrial complex or vice versa... then again I may be missing something as english isn't my first language.
Elysium Lord of fluff
PDM Lord of fluff
Flamey = Fatty
Crazymatt is Fatty 2

Iovan Game profile

Aug 9th 2011, 21:28:14

You refit Industrial Complexes to farms by making them food processing plants. You refit oil rigs to farms by dismantling the oil rigs and building silos and machinery out of the parts (ok that's ridiculous, lol).

The basic idea though is why is it sane for countries to save buildings they will not use and then have to demolish and rebuild them when they could be refitted or recycled in some fashion. Particularly for a government that would be predisposed to not waste resources.

They should either be able to be refit or they should be destroyed in the grab. Getting buildings intact from a target is supposed to be a good thing. Not a burden (however slight).

Rockman Game profile

Aug 10th 2011, 15:24:08

Should people be able to 'refit' technology points as well?

Iovan Game profile

Aug 10th 2011, 19:40:44

No because that makes no sense and technology points can be sold. Should people be able to sell buildings? Derp.

Rockman Game profile

Aug 10th 2011, 21:22:47

Buildings can be destroyed, while keeping the barren acres, and then by using cash, you convert them into other buildings. Tech points can be sold, and then by using cash, you can convert them into other technologies.

How does it not make sense for tech points to switch, but it would make sense for buildings to change? Its the exact same idea!

Marshal Game profile

Aug 10th 2011, 21:46:40

but but but destroying buildings costs. :P

if doesn't want destroy buildings grabbed then should grab countries with same strat.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

Azz Kikr Game profile

Wiki Mod

Aug 10th 2011, 22:52:53

technically, putting stuff on the market costs too :P

Iovan Game profile

Aug 11th 2011, 2:05:34

Originally posted by Rockman:
Buildings can be destroyed, while keeping the barren acres, and then by using cash, you convert them into other buildings. Tech points can be sold, and then by using cash, you can convert them into other technologies.

How does it not make sense for tech points to switch, but it would make sense for buildings to change? Its the exact same idea!

No it isn't. Tech points are the representation of technology in a given area. A building or structure is a physical thing that can be refitted. It doesn't make sense to change technology you get from an enemy. Though you could argue it would make sense for you not to gather any technology you do not need and instead automatically sell it. Your argument is incredibly fallacious. Apples and oranges are both fruit but they are not the same. Buildings and technology points are both assets of the game but they are not the same.