Verified:

Iovan Game profile

Aug 6th 2011, 4:21:52

What's the appeal of Alliance or Team servers?

What's the appeal of stifled activity?

What's the appeal of having to consult a clan rulebook before you decide to do anything?

What's the appeal of having to run a strategy based on the whims of those running a clan?

What's the appeal of retal policies and bloated intra-clan politics?

TheVoices Game profile

Aug 6th 2011, 4:25:20

wut.

NOW3P Game profile

Aug 6th 2011, 4:27:10

what's the appeal of whining when no one cares?

Rockman Game profile

Aug 6th 2011, 4:50:08

1) Its having teammates

2) Activity isn't stifled. You're delusional.

3) Or you can have common sense rather than consulting a rulebook.

4) I'm fine with their requirement of "just don't suck".

5) Retal policies are pointless, grabs between alliances are so rare now. And intra-clan politics can easily be ignored.

You need to join an alliance and get rid of those delusions. If you're going to hate alliance and team server, at least have a correct reason for hating these servers, rather than remaining completely clueless as to how the servers actually are.

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Aug 6th 2011, 5:06:30

what's the appeal of an Iovan?

ask not what your clan can do for you, but what you can do for your clan.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

locket Game profile

Aug 6th 2011, 5:42:18

which clans choose their strategies? Not netting clans anyways ;) not any i know

H4xOr WaNgEr Game profile

Forum Moderator

Aug 6th 2011, 5:54:10

some war clans will pideon people into strats.

But yeah I know LaF lets you run whatever you want so long as you canput out a decent performance with it.

Iovan Game profile

Aug 6th 2011, 6:31:48

Originally posted by NOW3P:

Where was I whining? I asked questions. Also I haven't run a alliance or team country in a long time so it isn't being butthurt either. Rockman is the only one who attempted (I stress that word) to answer the questions. Even if his answers were abusive rather than informative.

By the way the defensive knee-jerk reaction was hilarious :)

Edited By: Iovan on Aug 6th 2011, 6:54:41. Reason: Lol
See Original Post

Aug 6th 2011, 13:17:38

meh, you didn't use the magic word. why you ask for information in a derogatory way without using the magic word?

Chaoswind Game profile

Aug 6th 2011, 13:36:49

Playing with other people, learning from other people, teaching other people.

Whut?

What's the appeal of having to consult a clan rulebook before you decide to do anything?
Whut? is mostly common sense, sometimes some clans have unreasonable ways, but you learn from those and move on.

What's the appeal of having to run a strategy based on the whims of those running a clan? You can still run whatever you want, but if you learn a new strategy that makes you a more complete player.

What's the appeal of retal policies and bloated intra-clan politics? Some Retal Policies are made by assholes "hint", and some clan leaders are assholes... but that isn't the case in most clans. :)
Elysium Lord of fluff
PDM Lord of fluff
Flamey = Fatty
Crazymatt is Fatty 2

Rockman Game profile

Aug 6th 2011, 16:33:51

Originally posted by H4xOr WaNgEr:
some war clans will pideon people into strats.

But yeah I know LaF lets you run whatever you want so long as you canput out a decent performance with it.

As I've proved almost every set. You'll never get me to play a good strategy!

dustfp Game profile

Aug 6th 2011, 21:42:11

basically, the appeal is working with others to achieve a collective goal, just like any team sport or game
there might be reduced freedoms, you might be discouraged from running a bad strategy (depending on the clan), but the idea is that you put the needs of your group ahead of your own, and you share in the achievements
there's also the politics side of the servers, which offers another dimension to the game
-fudgepuppy
SancTuarY President
msn:
aim: fudgepuppy6988
http://collab.boxcarhosting.com

Rockman Game profile

Aug 6th 2011, 22:01:37

Some clans discourage you from running a bad strategy, but others, like iMag, will discourage you from running a good strategy :P

CKHustler

Aug 6th 2011, 23:59:33

retal policies should probably change, but overall Alliance is fun just sitting on the boards or IRC and shooting the fluff.

Lobo Game profile

Aug 7th 2011, 1:04:43

it gives us something to fluff about DUH! and people to annoy and trouble to get into and SPAM!
For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack
The only real progress lies in learning to be wrong all alone. ~Albert Camus

Original SANCT...

ponderer Game profile

Aug 7th 2011, 1:27:52

Originally posted by Iovan:

Where was I whining? I asked questions. Also I haven't run a alliance or team country in a long time so it isn't being butthurt either. Rockman is the only one who attempted (I stress that word) to answer the questions. Even if his answers were abusive rather than informative.

Well, you framed your questions a way to attract negativity.

Good troll though, you got responses.
m0m0rific

Iovan Game profile

Aug 7th 2011, 2:35:19

Originally posted by ponderer:

Well, you framed your questions a way to attract negativity.

Good troll though, you got responses.

>.>

Servant Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 7th 2011, 4:49:23

For me, its in tripling alliance membership in a 2-3 reset and seeing if we can maintaing our level of quality...has nothing to do with playing the country...its the team challenges.

To see how much I can unstifle it...as an FA for one of the more "stifled" allinaces, its slow but making progress:)

I never read a clan rulebook:)
But if I ever break it Lady grizz will spank me....so that's enough appeal to never read it:)

What's the appeal of having to run a strategy based on the whims of those running a clan?

Ever tried telling a monster what strategy to run? better of hearding cats!

Depends, if you like politics and strategy, lots, if you don't.....it sucks.
Z is #1

Shinigami Game profile

Aug 7th 2011, 5:35:31

Leave it to Servant to attempt a semi-serious reply.

I tried to picture requiring Omegans to run a set strategy. Was a pretty funny image... I imagine NM's the same.

Servant Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 7th 2011, 18:56:21

Yeah, I'm just too serious sometimes...
Z is #1

NOW3P Game profile

Aug 7th 2011, 20:53:14

It wasn't a knee-jerk reaction Iovan - your question really just wasn't worth answering.

Ponderer seems to have summed it up pretty well.

Adama Game profile

Aug 7th 2011, 23:07:03

Women!

Iovan Game profile

Aug 8th 2011, 23:53:47

NOW3P you need to stop being so easily offended. It must have hit a sore spot to get such a rigorous defense. Maybe a little truth breaking through your conscious wall of optimism about how things are?

:>

Aug 9th 2011, 0:26:57

wow, Iovan is psy chic.

Klown Game profile

Aug 9th 2011, 1:08:33

Iovan Game profile

Aug 9th 2011, 1:25:03

Originally posted by Dibs Ludicrous:
wow, Iovan is psy chic.

Don't let my deduction capabilities mystify you. I am not psychic.

Aug 9th 2011, 2:07:49

don't know what you're talking about. your deduction capabilities produced a bunch of rhetorical questions that you thought you already had the answers for.

hanlong Game profile

Aug 9th 2011, 2:42:59

What's the appeal of the o in Iovan?
Don Hanlong
Don of La Famiglia

Iovan Game profile

Aug 9th 2011, 2:55:01

The o is there because Ivan has too much street cred. It's better to be original, yo.

Aug 9th 2011, 2:56:01

you hacked an original name so that you could claim originality.

Iovan Game profile

Aug 9th 2011, 2:56:02

don't know what you're talking about. your deduction capabilities produced a bunch of rhetorical questions that you thought you already had the answers for.

So what exactly is the problem? :)

Aug 9th 2011, 3:00:24

So what exactly is the problem? :)

think i stated something along the lines of psy chic, not psychic.

Iovan Game profile

Aug 9th 2011, 5:11:28

Oh sorry, I assumed that was just a typo.

Ravi Game profile

Aug 9th 2011, 5:30:07

Alliance server you are screwed. Maybe PDM would work for you. Imag might be worth looking into as well.

Team server you should look at FBI/WoG they certainly don't stifle individuals and put very little walls around the membership. They are also pretty good at cleaning up whatever problems the free members cause..and they cause a plenty and it's fun. Plus they don't care what strat you run.

Thomas Game profile

Aug 9th 2011, 5:51:33

Iovan --

1. Without the politics, this game is pretty damn dry. The politics is what makes things interesting.

2. Not sure what you mean by stifled activity.

3. We don't have a rulebook. We ask for 3 basic things at the beginning of each reset, that's it.

4. We suggest strategies, but everybody is free to run whatever they want, we just hope it's within reason.

5. There aren't any intra-clan politics in Sanct. And our retal policy is easily acceptable with an explanation for every entry in the policy on why we enforce it (all of which is to defend our guys from abuses we have witnessed).

6. Pretty sure Sanct would be a good home for you. What do you have to lose anyways?

http://www.boxcarhosting.com/...cestart.php?clanID=Collab

Hobo Game profile

Aug 9th 2011, 8:34:41

What's the appeal of having that penis picture in your signature ;9 STILL!

Edited By: Hobo on Aug 9th 2011, 8:38:12
See Original Post

Iovan Game profile

Aug 9th 2011, 8:40:08

Nah, that's fine. I've considered the answers to my questions and while I accept that some of you believe in those answers, I do not. I have seen more than enough evidence for crippling retal policies and intra-clan politics. That may be something you all enjoy (which is WHY I asked in the first place what's the appeal), but it's not something I enjoy.

I would like to comment on Rockman's "answer" to my retal policy question though.

He said, "5) Retal policies are pointless, grabs between alliances are so rare now. And intra-clan politics can easily be ignored."

This doesn't solve my problem with this issue. In my opinion there should be grabs between alliances and whatever comes of that should come. It's stifled activity to me if there is some sort of understood taboo away from being adventurous in a set.

So while there also isn't a rulebook per se (so it's claimed) there are many understood and unspoken rules that stifle activity away from anything creative.

Maybe my issue is I haven't seen or heard of a decent enough clan (member count wise) that has a laid back and creative approach to playing a set. I'm not talking about just being on top in some specific way either or fighting a war or two and lol-killrunning targets (though that's not bad in and of itself).

The advantages I see personally of solo servers over Alliance or Team is that whatever I decide to do I can do and I am not beholden to anyone else or holding anyone else back based on such a situation. I've played more serious sets and I've played more laid back sets depending on what I wanted at the time.

Maybe I'm wrong about there being any clans like that though. However if I am then those clans must not be very visible or interesting because I haven't noticed a difference between them and any other clan in anything being talked about.

Oh and I realize that my opinion of how I would like a clan won't be liked by very many people (likely anyway) and I'm not asking or demanding any change. I was just asking originally about what's the appeal of certain things and being provocative because that gets responses faster than just asking boring questions. So maybe some of you can try answering me again or not (I don't hold anyone's opinion against them in this anyway).

Thomas Game profile

Aug 9th 2011, 16:57:11

The only tag that would be able to pull off such a thing would be a strictly warring tag. A creative, unorthodox retal policy means a netting country would get fluffed. So that guy would fluff, quit, or others would quit. And in EE it's a numbers game, so nobody can really afford to lose membership.

Now if a warring tag did something like this, they'd come across as being bullies.

So it's not feasible.