I agree with the Republic part.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 11th 2011, 6:03:34

1) yes, but they have PCI offset
2) this is somewhat inaccurate - nw matching is best
3) no
4) casher is the best warring strat! :) (well okay i don't actually think so, but it's not bad, and i can think of worse)

Commie:
Did you not see what we did to commie with the selling extra?! did you not see slagpits T10 commie? Commie is *EXTREMELY* powerful if played well

Demo is overpowered you say? who wins playing an all-set demo these days? demo tech percentage was added in precisely because *nobody* was using demo for anything other than late set destocking, or perhaps for a mid-set tech phase; the idea behind the 10% back was to make demo farmers or demo cashers actually competitive; as is all-x kindof makes that tricky....

I don't know how you can say rep is weak and demo is strong.
Finally did the signature thing.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 11th 2011, 8:26:25

"Only a chems would make a casher a joke" ?

a good casher can absorb quite a lot of punishment too; they have more civs and take longer to kill; yes they lose production if you kill their civs, BUT they should have had better stock and better production beforehand

reps will almost always be bigger than dicts going in to a war; reps have the option to convert to dict at this point though...

Ozzite Game profile

Jul 11th 2011, 12:08:38

This thread makes my brain hurt.

Do you actually play the game or are you basing this off of things you remember from 10 years ago? This thread is filled with so many WTF comments, I don't even know where to start.
Ah, mercury. Sweetest of the transition metals.

TroyTiger Game profile

Jul 11th 2011, 13:15:52

They should give a Rep some sort of bonus to make it more better for wars.

Maybe a +15% defense bonus.

Rockman Game profile

Jul 11th 2011, 13:58:12

Originally posted by Watertowers:
I believe that Republic is the one government that is the worst. The 10% military strength penalty really hits harder than it seems because

1)reps would have to pay more for the same defense
2)the NW would be slightly higher which make grabs by other countries larger
3)#2 would also make LG made by the reps smaller
4)#2 and #3 is compounded by the fact that casher is already the worst warring strat.

Commie is probably the second worst government. Once again, something apparently minor has a butterfly effect. The 10% market commissions is compounded badly by the need of an indy stocker to go through the market four times for destock (sell military, buy food, sell food, buy military). He loses 34.39 percent of what he produced through those transactions, while other governments lose less than 22%. It is probable that a demo indy would have a better chance of high NW than commie.

And finally, demo is overpowered. The 0% market commissions really is a huge advantage, and demo has gotten stronger over the course of earth 2025. When market commissions were increased from 3 to 6% in earth 2025, demo and commie became comparatively better. Whereas commie was turned from bad to mediocre, demo changed from good to great. When the Earth 2025 admins took away the 10% tech bonus, it kind of balanced Demo a bit, and I have no idea why it's added back in.

Republics have to pay more, but they also produce more ... seems fair.

Republics lose more in attacks, but they also gain more in exploring ... seems fair.

Casher is not the worst warring strategy, it is in fact my favorite warring strategy and it is quite powerful.

On the other hand, Democracy is one of the two worst warring governments. Its 3 turn per attack penalty is seriously damaging to a war country. If you're talking about how weak Republic is because of its warring abilities, why did you not bring that up while talking about Democracies?

Additionally, Communism is not a weak government. It has been played very well by very many people. The industrial production bonus is huge, and it clearly outweighs the 10% market commissions.

Lastly, if Republic is the worst government ... why the fluff did you choose to make your main country on FFA a Republic?

deepcode Game profile

Jul 11th 2011, 18:45:00

Yes, republics are so underpowered. Please buff us. (lol).

Chaoswind Game profile

Jul 11th 2011, 19:48:45

Give me a republic to rule them all?

Republic isn't underpowered at all :/
Elysium Lord of fluff
PDM Lord of fluff
Flamey = Fatty
Crazymatt is Fatty 2

M m i x X Game profile

Jul 11th 2011, 22:29:51

Originally posted by Watertowers:
Only a chems would make a casher a joke

casher can have a huge stock... they can buy tons of SDIs before going to war. :)
-=(M m i x X)=-

Rockman Game profile

Jul 18th 2011, 21:04:42

Watertowers - just because you do not know how to use the governments does not make them weak.

Look at what Bakku has done with all-explore commie indy in express. Look at what commie indies have done in primary.

Look at how all good farmers go fascist for stockpiling. Look at how all good oilers are fascist. Look at how all good netting alliances have more republics than any other government for 90% of the set.

Other people do very very well with these governments. Your own inability to do well with these governments does not make them weak.

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 21st 2011, 15:30:10

Personally, all governments except Dictatorship are militarily inferior.

Cerberus of the MI
I don't need anger management, people need to stop pissing me off!

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 21st 2011, 16:46:21

theo -- TMBR is overpowered imho

Rep is one of the strongest in the game -- the strongest for all-x i'd say

tyr or dict are the strongest for grabbing

commie is the only option for indy practically -- very strong there

fasc -- very good for high-land farmers

Demo -- good for final jumps or teching, but otherwise not used very much

those, approximately, would be my rankings, keeping in mind again that it really depends on the market, the playing style (the server)...

Rockman Game profile

Jul 21st 2011, 17:33:14

TMBR isn't overpowered. The better countries grow too big for TMBR to be a viable destocking option, and switching to TMBR early in the set is not an overpowered strategy.

The Theocracy 0 military base private market destock is overpowered.

Private market regen needs a nerf, which would also help nerf theocracy a bit as the primary destocking government.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 21st 2011, 17:53:03

i think we have lots of good war govs, i'd rather find ways to make Fascism stronger for war than think about how rep could be made better for war.... right now it's not that strong in war (less pop hurts its survivability and the oil market doesn't make an oiler viable as a long-term fighting strategy on par with farmers and cashers, at least on clan-servers, which I assume is what we're talking about here)
tying it back to the real world, like I always try to, maybe Fascism could have some kind of pop-death limiting bonus. In WWII, Germany endured a rain of ruin from the air, yet their morale of their population remained strong. Maybe that kind of buff would help make it a more war-focused strat.

as far as destocking, I'd be happy to discuss limiting the theo bonuses, but I'd like to see more destocking options available.
as it stands now, you basically get a handful of options:
-TMBR
-14% built theo (all the calculations I did for this back on e2025 showed unbuilt theo ALWAYS gave you a higher NW finish because it has less destocking time)
-unbuilt theo
-DMBR (i'm yet to find a situation where it really makes sense to do this :p)
-unbuilt demo/demo public destock

all of those options only involve 2 govs (theo + demo) and anything other than those two will cost you millions in final NW. it'd be cool to have more govs able to be used for destocking
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 21st 2011, 17:54:34

oh and maybe fascism should be able to switched to penalty free from a democracy or republic, because you take over the nation using the political system :p
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

deepcode Game profile

Jul 21st 2011, 21:23:55

tyrannies, dicts and fascists should ignore humanitarians ;P

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 22nd 2011, 4:24:30

no, but maybe they shouldn't be humanitarians in those countries.... let's think up a new name! :p
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

Azz Kikr Game profile

Wiki Mod

Jul 22nd 2011, 5:04:06

"dead"

Forgotten

Jul 22nd 2011, 5:25:37

There are no weak governments, only weak players.
~LaF's Retired Janitor~

Chaoswind Game profile

Jul 22nd 2011, 12:08:22

There are governments that are weak in certain parts of the game

Theo is too strong destocking :P

and I agree Demo/mbr is pretty inferior to THeo/mbr :P

the only advantage demo has is the 99% SDI and lest be honest, that isn't an issue for most clan servers, and the uber GDI fixed that in solo servers.

I wonder what would happen if Theo had the 3 turns per attack penalty and Demo didn't :)
Elysium Lord of fluff
PDM Lord of fluff
Flamey = Fatty
Crazymatt is Fatty 2

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 22nd 2011, 12:48:50

demo's 0% market commissions is, in my opinion, the absolute best government buff :p
maybe the rep explore bonus or the dict attack power gains could rival it, but 0% market commissions opens up so many possibilities

i also don't feel that we need to make every government great for everything, but it's important to strike a balance and it's good to change things up once in a while just to shake up the status quo and keep everyone interested! :p
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

Rockman Game profile

Jul 22nd 2011, 14:59:15

Originally posted by Pang:
demo's 0% market commissions is, in my opinion, the absolute best government buff :p
maybe the rep explore bonus or the dict attack power gains could rival it, but 0% market commissions opens up so many possibilities

i also don't feel that we need to make every government great for everything, but it's important to strike a balance and it's good to change things up once in a while just to shake up the status quo and keep everyone interested! :p

I'd say that the theocracy private market bonus is better.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 22nd 2011, 16:55:06

Originally posted by Rockman:

I'd say that the theocracy private market bonus is better.

I'd tend to agree; though for the first half of the reset i'd say the rep +explore is the best....

Forgotten

Jul 23rd 2011, 0:44:15

tyranny grabbing farmer > rep explore
~LaF's Retired Janitor~

koonfasa

Aug 16th 2011, 13:11:42

theo has the best by a long shot. The demo is the most fun, and affects all other players directly. Yet individuals indirectly. Most players prolly have no idea how it affects them, yet everythingthey do on the public market benefits the other player.

Edited By: koonfasa on Aug 16th 2011, 13:16:53. Reason: should swap msgs
See Original Post

highrock Game profile

Aug 16th 2011, 15:13:18

Before the decay nerf, DMBR absolutely outperformed TMBR/Theo destocks for midsized techers.
formerly Viola MD