Verified:

Iovan Game profile

Jun 4th 2011, 6:02:44

This bonus is not worth it my opinion. Does anyone use it to great effect? The impact it has on building cost is practically negligible for the amount of points spent. I think having it cost 5 points would be a far better payoff/cost ratio.

Rockman Game profile

Jun 4th 2011, 8:46:52

Try not being such a tiny country, and you'll find that it actually is useful.

Iovan Game profile

Jun 4th 2011, 9:06:04

How so? When you can spend the points on better bonuses that more than make up for it. Also nice of you to assume my country sizes, derp.

Rockman Game profile

Jun 4th 2011, 9:23:57

Originally posted by Iovan:
How so? When you can spend the points on better bonuses that more than make up for it. Also nice of you to assume my country sizes, derp.

There's this link next to your name which lets you view a person's game profile. Your best finish on Express is 34th, and you've not finished a set on any other server. My guess is that the highest networth you've ever had is around 11 million or so. It was an assumption, but an educated assumption.

Ozzite Game profile

Jun 4th 2011, 9:42:46

Sorry, Rockman is a bit of a tard. What he is trying to say is once you have 15k+ acres, or even 25k+ acres, the building costs start to be worth something. He is assuming you haven't had a country that has gotten that fat before.

<3 Sockman
Ah, mercury. Sweetest of the transition metals.

kemo Game profile

Jun 4th 2011, 13:59:23

yes in the long run with a good sized country i think building costs can be the most rewarding
all praised to ra

Iovan Game profile

Jun 4th 2011, 20:29:29

Originally posted by Rockman:

There's this link next to your name which lets you view a person's game profile. Your best finish on Express is 34th, and you've not finished a set on any other server. My guess is that the highest networth you've ever had is around 11 million or so. It was an assumption, but an educated assumption.

I was factoring in the difference more acres would make. Take the expenses bonus. I think it has more of a financial impact than the building cost one no matter how many acres you have. You will get more money for that bonus (by losing less to expenses) than you make up for by reducing building costs per acre.

Also I played e25 before I came here. I had taken a couple year break from e25 before it was closed down and I only recently (like within the past month) was informed about EE's existence. So my record on here is very lacking. Especially since I've been trying out strategies I don't usually use.

Has anyone crunched the actual numbers long run for expenses bonus vs building cost even for large 20k+ acre countries, or is this just something that's accepted based on assumption? If I'm wrong I'm open to that possibility.

Rockman Game profile

Jun 4th 2011, 20:46:23

20k+ acres isn't large, its normal size. If you take large to be 40k+ acres, then building costs is definitely better. If you aren't planning on being one of the larger countries, then building costs isn't much use, just as the decay rate bonus isn't much use if you aren't planning on stocking up 5+ billion cash on hand.

And FYI, the decay rate bonus is far worse than building costs bonus if you aren't going beyond 2b cash on hand, regardless of what landsize you are aiming for.

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jun 4th 2011, 20:53:38

One thing to keep in mind is that express has far less turns than other servers, so the bonuses designed for long term benefit won't be as good there. It's possible in the future that we'll vary the costs depending on the server (or even offer different ones), but I worry that'll be too confusing.

Iovan Game profile

Jun 4th 2011, 21:14:53

@Rockman: Why do I get the feeling that there is some sort of competition you are trying to have with me? Do we have to get technical? 20k+ isn't large, fine ok, that's not my point. So by the time you've built up 40k+ acres (or continually build it up depending on circumstances) the building cost bonuses have more than made up the difference that another bonus could have given?

My point isn't that it's completely worthless. I just don't see it being worth it out of the options available. I guess I'm wrong about that though (which is fine).

@Slagpit: *nod*

Ozzite Game profile

Jun 5th 2011, 13:42:09

If you only play express then you shouldn't use this bonus. If you are getting really fat and are considering rebuilding part of that acreage at somepoint, it can be useful.

If you don't like it, don't us it
Ah, mercury. Sweetest of the transition metals.

Vic Rattlehead Game profile

Jun 6th 2011, 2:54:55

For express I would think the defense bonus would be best. Just a thought.

But the building cost is good for strat switches even if you don't get a ton of acres. If I need to build up to 8k acres, then explore to 15k and switch, then stock, then go TMBR, I will have gotten a lot of gain from the building bonus. The expense bonus would be less helpful if I was running a low military clan protected country.
NA hFA
gchat:
yahoo chat:

available 24/7

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Jun 9th 2011, 12:12:17

for building cost to be worth it you have to

a) get large
b) rebuild as mbr
c) rebuild land you grab back

its not always worth it

but building cost is:

1500+3*acres

that means early on it rises very slowly, potentially from 1800 to 1920 after your first explore, when land size increases by 40%

but later on if you double land size your build cost almost triples

and your rebuild cost is 6x what it was

that causes mbr switching to max out at certain land size along with the bpt/land decreasing as you grow

building cost can be worth it, but if your not sure just get something else