Verified:

Iovan Game profile

Jun 4th 2011, 5:47:43

Republics need to have their Per Captia bonus buffed. 20% is too weak. It should be +30%

Detmer Game profile

Jun 4th 2011, 5:53:52

Any basis for that? I think people here will heartily disagree with that.

Iovan Game profile

Jun 4th 2011, 5:59:34

Their bonuses are too weak (well the explore one isn't). If there was more of a trade off between explore and per capita they would be more balanced. If no one agrees I won't be crying about it. It's just my opinion.

They aren't unplayable or anything (obviously) and in certain situations than can do well enough, but still...

Rockman Game profile

Jun 4th 2011, 8:46:24

On many servers they are the most played government.

Edited By: Slagpit on Jun 5th 2011, 3:34:55

Iovan Game profile

Jun 4th 2011, 9:04:45

Being the most played doesn't mean much. They are easy to play as but they don't really excel except during specific situations. Cool that I'm clueless though. Thanks for informing me.

Rockman Game profile

Jun 4th 2011, 9:22:24

Originally posted by Iovan:
Being the most played doesn't mean much. They are easy to play as but they don't really excel except during specific situations. Cool that I'm clueless though. Thanks for informing me.

They're the most played by the alliances that know the most about what they are doing. They excel in enough situations for them to be quite useful, and they are in fact overpowered enough in those situations to the point that they need to be weakened rather than strengthened.

Iovan Game profile

Jun 4th 2011, 20:30:24

Alliances... Yeah sorry I'm not talking about just when you have a tag to hide behind. Are you even being serious?

Rockman Game profile

Jun 4th 2011, 20:37:28

Originally posted by Iovan:
Alliances... Yeah sorry I'm not talking about just when you have a tag to hide behind. Are you even being serious?

Team, Alliance, FFA - half the servers give you a tag to hide behind. More people play on the alliance based servers than on the non-alliance based servers. I'm not saying that Primary, Tourney, and Express don't matter, but I am saying that its wrong to completely dismiss the alliance servers as irrelevant.

Iovan Game profile

Jun 4th 2011, 21:06:45

For one thing I don't really agree with having the same country statistics across the board. The weaknesses of anything can be supplemented by alliances.

+30% PCI
+10% X
-20% Mil

That's overpowered? I think that balances out much better myself. Retaining a weak military and not being able to explore as much are a large trade off for +10% more PCI.

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

Jun 5th 2011, 2:45:05

No offense Iovan, but considering you are new, maybe it would be best to spend more time trying various strats and even run some of the numbers first? It's great that you are actively trying to make things better, but without showing some reasoning behind it, other than your opinion that something is weak, it will be difficult to make any real, lasting change.

Iovan Game profile

Jun 5th 2011, 3:23:27

A suggestion is a suggestion. It's not a demand and I won't be angry if it's ignored. I started playing e25 back in 1999 so I'm not completely new to most of the game even though some things have changed. Why don't you explain why my suggestion wouldn't be a good idea.

I get the feeling that the reason why most suggestions are shot down in discussion isn't because of playability concerns but because of bias. Not saying anyone here is being biased but I haven't heard any reasons in this thread for why it's a bad idea other than "republics are strong in alliances". Which is pretty close to bias.

Heck I don't care if you put it bluntly like Rockman. I don't get offended easily. I just want some actual reasoning.

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

Jun 5th 2011, 3:57:27

Right back at ya, I was just saying you should include some actual reasoning too. =D

Personally, I don't have a horse in this race...

Detmer Game profile

Jun 5th 2011, 3:59:02

So if you are acknowledging that it is very good in some servers, why would you want to strengthen it more? Are all governments supposed to be equally good in all circumstances?

Iovan Game profile

Jun 5th 2011, 4:12:10

@Terius: My reasoning is that +20% PCI is too weak and +20% explore is too limiting. +30% PCI emphasizes the main difference the government type has over other government types. +20% PCI is decent don't get me wrong. It just doesn't have as much of an impact as the bonuses most other government types have.

@Detmer: That's not what I said. I said that I don't necessarily agree that government stats should be the same on every server. Any alliance can make up for the weaknesses of a government type or exploit its strengths.

Detmer Game profile

Jun 5th 2011, 4:25:11

Having the governments be different on different servers sounds needlessly confusing. The beauty of this game is its simplicity.

londwell

Jun 5th 2011, 13:18:42

Iovan,

Assuming all countries are teched up.

A rep casher makes approx $600-610 per acre of land (before expenses).

A rep farmer needs food prices to be approx $50 to have the same production. (it does happen, not for long though)

A fascist farmer needs prices to be above $44 to have the same production. (feasible for a few weeks of a long reset, haven't played tourney in ages).

A commie indy needs turrets to be around $170 to be competative (but they need big techs to compete)

Oil needs to be above 171 for a fascist oiler to compete (it only gets up there in times of war and not for long.... usually)

I can't be bothered working out tech prices needed, but they generally ensure that techer has the highest production per acre of land.

Now, increasing the PCI to +30% would mean rep cashers would get an even bigger boost. They would probably end up as powerful or even more powerful that a techer.

Exploring - Reps exploring is what makes them one of the more powerful governments. An all-x can easilly get top 50 in alliance, FFA haven't played primary or tourney in ages but they definately used to do really well.

No, PCI doesn't need to be increased, neither does the explore rate.

Iovan Game profile

Jun 5th 2011, 14:12:19

For the record I never mentioned increasing explore rate. I mentioned decreasing it.

diez Game profile

Jun 5th 2011, 15:44:54

Originally posted by Detmer:
Having the governments be different on different servers sounds needlessly confusing. The beauty of this game is its simplicity.

I second this.

Chaoswind Game profile

Jun 6th 2011, 0:26:19

Lower Explore Rate and better PCI isn't a bad suggestion :/
Elysium Lord of fluff
PDM Lord of fluff
Flamey = Fatty
Crazymatt is Fatty 2

dustfp Game profile

Jun 6th 2011, 1:58:11

I don't think rep needs changing, but having it move to the same level as a techer would definitely be interesting
-fudgepuppy
SancTuarY President
msn:
aim: fudgepuppy6988
http://collab.boxcarhosting.com

Vic Rattlehead Game profile

Jun 6th 2011, 2:28:56

PCI boost would just make a grabbing rep the most potent strat by a good bit. You are talking about a 50% increase in the bonus man...
NA hFA
gchat:
yahoo chat:

available 24/7

Drinks Game profile

Jun 6th 2011, 4:54:14

Originally posted by diez:
Originally posted by Detmer:

I second this.

I Third this
<Drinks> going to bed
<Drinks> pm me if I get hit
<-- Drinks is now known as DrinksInBed -->
<DrinksInBed> looks like I'm an alcoholic

Rockman Game profile

Jun 6th 2011, 4:59:10

I made a suggestion sometime last month, to remove the Republic explore bonus and military strength bonus, and to instead give them -50% building costs (still a growth based bonus), and +20% military losses (still a war based penalty). That type of change to Republic would make a lot more sense than boosting their PCI bonus. The 20% PCI boost is quite good, Republics are the best cashers out there in terms of production per acre, beating out both Democracy and Theocracy fairly easily.

If anything needs to be changed about Republic, it is that their explore bonus is too strong. Their PCI bonus is definitely not too weak.

jedioda Game profile

Jun 23rd 2011, 20:20:12

A REP (as well as fascist, theo, commie, demo) can win any solo player game. There is no need to increase its bonus.
Better would be to increase bonus for tyranny and dict.