Verified:

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 10th 2024, 4:38:27

Change set #23 primarily makes a netgaining balance change on clan-based servers. These changes will be released on the standard roll out schedule:

* On clan-based servers only, countries cannot drop land during the final 25% of the round. This restriction does not apply to countries that are less than 24 hours old, including countries with restart bonuses.
* For all servers, NPC countries will be identified in yellow in the ingame search results and on the score pages.
* The "Market Spy" spy operation will reveal information on the target's standing orders.
* The "Allow other players to see the status of your past countries" user preference will be overridden for dead countries. All players can view the ending status of all dead countries after the round has concluded.

"Standard roll out schedule" means that changes will be applied to servers as they reset. For this change set, the changes will first go live on the next round of each server that begins after April 17th, 2024.

Thank you for playing Earth Empires. Questions, constructive criticism, and feedback made in good faith are welcome.

Edited By: Slagpit on Apr 17th 2024, 23:28:59. Reason: final details
See Original Post

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 10th 2024, 14:23:56

The land drop change will drastically impact FFO's, but also for countries in war (or who are suicided) where it will be prohibitively expensive to rebuild. Given there's already a mechanism that you can't drop land you recently grabbed, could there be an acre limit that you can drop instead? Like can't drop below 10k acres and/or below 80% of your max land for the set? (I think I prefer a percentile option, but it may be harder to code; a set threshold is unlikely to work in all scenarios.)

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 10th 2024, 15:19:45

How often are there ongoing wars in the final 25% of the round where the victor isn't already decided?

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 10th 2024, 16:07:09

Suicides are quite frequent, and will be more possible with a future humanitarian change (as currently proposed on alliance). In Team, wars continue further along typically. For Alliance, when Evo was blindsided by LaF after they had won against the others, that continued into latter quarter of the set. With future restart bonus changes, that could be less necessary, but currently, restarts in the last quarter do occur, and at that point your country is wrecked, your CS are low, SPAL / SDI are terrible, and so given a large stock, dropping acres is typical.

So I would say it's more frequent than you might expect, and the impact can be quite large.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 10th 2024, 18:02:13

Originally posted by Tertius:
Suicides are quite frequent, and will be more possible with a future humanitarian change (as currently proposed on alliance). In Team, wars continue further along typically. For Alliance, when Evo was blindsided by LaF after they had won against the others, that continued into latter quarter of the set. With future restart bonus changes, that could be less necessary, but currently, restarts in the last quarter do occur, and at that point your country is wrecked, your CS are low, SPAL / SDI are terrible, and so given a large stock, dropping acres is typical.

So I would say it's more frequent than you might expect, and the impact can be quite large.

100%
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

g0nz0 Game profile

Apr 10th 2024, 19:40:08

The FFO community will not stand for this tyranny!
You WILL NOT diminish the ability of 10 players to win every set. If you cant spen 60 days farming bots till 500k acres you simply dont want, nor deserve, a top 10 finish. Simple as. FFO players will be along shortly to "and thats a good thing".

Prime

Apr 11th 2024, 0:42:13

At times when logging in during an active kill run on your country if getting BR'd or Chem'd, a player may choose to drop land to increase SPAL and SDI %. This changeset will impact that as well. But the trade-off of nerfing the historical common destock and conversion meta will be interesting to see.

SuperFly Game profile

Apr 11th 2024, 0:53:26

Buh bye calculator nerds and your food to oil ratios and 60 acre destocks

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 11th 2024, 1:59:00

Make earth great again!
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)

LittleItaly Game profile

Game Moderator
Alliance, FFA, & Cooperation

Apr 11th 2024, 5:33:51

25% of the round is a large amount of time. Why wouldn't it be closer to when humanitarian ranges increase at the end of the set?

If you have a parking lot country with 25% of the set remaining, you are basically useless and can't reinvent yourself for 25% of the round
LittleItaly
SOL Vet
-Discord: LittleItaly#2905
-IRC: irc.scourge.se #sol
-Apply today @ http://sol.ghqnet.com for Alliance

Celphi Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 11th 2024, 6:19:42

The point of the change is to discourage FFO. If he makes it too late in set then they’ll just convert sooner and take the hit.
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Celphi Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 11th 2024, 6:21:02

Perhaps the trick here is to check the variable of how old the country is and if it’s < 1 day old then allow them to drop land.

Then you get pros of both situations and shouldn’t be too hard to add that condition programmatically.

Celphi Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 11th 2024, 6:23:44

If country age isn’t available then I would think turns taken < 200 would be sufficient.

Steeps Game profile

Apr 11th 2024, 10:04:23

Not a fan of the dead country live profile link. In active wars this will allow the other side to actively track who the owners are of the restart because the restart lists the previous country, then that previous country will have the link to the profile.

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 11th 2024, 14:10:49

Originally posted by Celphi:
Perhaps the trick here is to check the variable of how old the country is and if it’s < 1 day old then allow them to drop land.

Then you get pros of both situations and shouldn’t be too hard to add that condition programmatically.

The idea here is to allow recent restarts to drop land?

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 11th 2024, 14:11:13

Originally posted by Steeps:
Not a fan of the dead country live profile link. In active wars this will allow the other side to actively track who the owners are of the restart because the restart lists the previous country, then that previous country will have the link to the profile.

How would this information change the way that war is conducted?

Celphi Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 11th 2024, 14:32:57

Originally posted by Slagpit:
Originally posted by Celphi:

The idea here is to allow recent restarts to drop land?

If I’m understanding the complaint in this thread., the issues arises whenever a player is killed, their restart has an undesirable amount of unbuilt land which under the current proposal they would not be able to drop that land during the final 25% left of game.

It’s reasonable to believe that restarts would face this situation in the last 25% of the game since most wars are delayed/scheduled. The problems of having extra land as a restart makes paying for buildings significantly more expensive and greatly reduces all tech % across the board including spal. By placing your proposed mechanism only for players who have played more than 200 turns it would seem it would address the FFO issue while maintaining current functionality.

Edited By: Celphi on Apr 11th 2024, 14:39:37

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 11th 2024, 14:37:57

Fair enough, changed it to allow for that.

Celphi Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 11th 2024, 14:42:53

GJ Tertius for spotting this.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 11th 2024, 16:38:48

You take out the biggest threats first, but that's how it is in real life as well so I'm personally ok with this, we just have to get more creative and that's good for the game too because it'll promote more collaboration.
(•_•)

Steeps Game profile

Apr 12th 2024, 9:18:23

Most active players are in open chat areas such as irc/discord. If you know who owns which country and already know if they're online or active at certain times then this can influence the target selection per chat to make killing more efficient and walling harder.

Dark Demon Game profile

Forum Moderator
EE Patron

Apr 12th 2024, 13:30:01

I agree with steeps on this.
Mercs
Natural Born Killers

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 12th 2024, 14:12:50

I changed it so it's only possible to view the owner of dead countries after the round has concluded.

Steeps Game profile

Apr 12th 2024, 15:08:57

If it's an issue because you're trying to reduce the risk of suiciders then limit the viewing to untagged countries during the set, all countries after the set. Personally I think suiciding is part of the game and it's a risk you take with clan reputation and farming untaggeds but if the aim of these changes is to protect the player base then I'm open to see these sorts of suggestions.

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 12th 2024, 15:23:00

If it's an issue because you're trying to reduce the risk of suiciders then limit the viewing to untagged countries during the set, all countries after the set. Personally I think suiciding is part of the game and it's a risk you take with clan reputation and farming untaggeds but if the aim of these changes is to protect the player base then I'm open to see these sorts of suggestions.

It's to partially close an existing gap. Currently, after a round ends you can view the owners of any country in the top 100, any country in a clan, and any country where the owner allows country statuses to be viewed. After this change it will be possible to see the owner of dead untagged countries as well.

Someone shouldn't be able to anonymously suicide SOL in one round and then join SOL the next without SOL being aware of their previous actions.

Steeps Game profile

Apr 15th 2024, 8:56:13

It's to partially close an existing gap. Currently, after a round ends you can view the owners of any country in the top 100, any country in a clan, and any country where the owner allows country statuses to be viewed. After this change it will be possible to see the owner of dead untagged countries as well.

Someone shouldn't be able to anonymously suicide SOL in one round and then join SOL the next without SOL being aware of their previous actions.

Why not? For decades we never had an ability to check this and we recruited on trust, if that did happen it was then the diplomacy of the alliance leaders that had to rectify any issues caused by members regardless of how new they were. Alliances used to be large enough that any new recruits had to go through a "training tag" to learn the game and respect the clan before they were allowed to tag up to the main clan.

This only seems to be a "I've had my netting set ruined I must know who did this so I can get my revenge when I'm going to run a country which actually has defense next set" tool.

En4cer Game profile

Apr 19th 2024, 22:13:01

I think you totally fluff the recent equilibrium the game finally managed to achieve with the last changeset.

As it stands this set almost any of the strategies could have won - casher is the only one that has a hard time now.

There will be a 1.5b commie indy this set - this strategy is still in its early days and public market prices werent awesome for commies either. There would have been a techer over 1.2b also except a late set fluff up and he actually played out a set helping others out and didn't have tech allies contributing to his finish. The best ffo this set without help will be somewhere in between those.

The only two viable strats to play to win now will be commie indy and techers.

Apr 19th 2024, 22:28:56

You can view the owner of any country not tagged and not in the top 100 currently. This includes dead countries.

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 19th 2024, 23:19:01

Originally posted by smiley:

You can view the owner of any country not tagged and not in the top 100 currently. This includes dead countries.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Is this a bug report? If so, please PM me a link that shows what you're saying. Thank you.

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Apr 20th 2024, 2:38:08

Originally posted by En4cer:
I think you totally fluff the recent equilibrium the game finally managed to achieve with the last changeset.

As it stands this set almost any of the strategies could have won - casher is the only one that has a hard time now.

There will be a 1.5b commie indy this set - this strategy is still in its early days and public market prices werent awesome for commies either. There would have been a techer over 1.2b also except a late set fluff up and he actually played out a set helping others out and didn't have tech allies contributing to his finish. The best ffo this set without help will be somewhere in between those.

I have to agree here.
:(

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

UgolinoII Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 20th 2024, 11:59:19

Originally posted by En4cer:

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

Drow Game profile

Apr 21st 2024, 0:44:40

Allows alliances to target specifically target players on their offline times, making it far harder to attempt to wall/defend.

Paradigm President of failed speeling

Rasp Game profile

Apr 23rd 2024, 14:55:20

* For all servers, NPC countries will be identified in yellow in the ingame search results and on the score pages.

Slagpit,
Thank you very much for the much needed update here.

Any chance you can add a bot identifier in the ranks feed?

1,1,1,96,Nobel Netgaining Prize,31805,181832463,LaF,D,1,0,0,1,0
serverid,resetid,rank,number,name,land,networth,tag,gov,gdi,protection,vacation,alive,deleted

https://www.earthempires.com/ranks_feed?
[16:18:00] znc-rasp: We can kill bushido, but not bushifo, zack, moriarty, ghost rider, or darkling
[16:18:07] Req: Is that all the same person?
[16:18:12] symba: yea
[16:18:25] mob: my kids are like dad why are you laughing so much

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 23rd 2024, 15:08:08

Yes, please make a post on B&S.

Rasp Game profile

Apr 23rd 2024, 18:43:46

Yes, please make a post on B&S.

done.
[16:18:00] znc-rasp: We can kill bushido, but not bushifo, zack, moriarty, ghost rider, or darkling

Rasp Game profile

Apr 23rd 2024, 18:44:17

editted this one.

UgolinoII Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 29th 2024, 7:49:26

I thought I read somewhere that losing bonus (e.g build cost reduction, expense, resource decay etc) on govt switch would be removed?

I tested on Alpha and you still lose it :(

Did I imagine this?

Edited By: UgolinoII on Apr 29th 2024, 9:39:02
See Original Post

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 29th 2024, 14:32:19

Originally posted by UgolinoII:
I thought I read somewhere that losing bonus (e.g build cost reduction, expense, resource decay etc) on govt switch would be removed?

I tested on Alpha and you still lose it :(

Did I imagine this?

That's intended for change set 25 (which Cooperation will start on).

UgolinoII Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 29th 2024, 16:49:12

ok cool thanks!

Slight change of plan this reset then :)