Verified:

Evolution Game profile

Apr 1st 2011, 3:14:07

As some of you may be aware there is a bit of a debate going on within Sol about attracting and retaining players to the game. One of the things we are currently debating is the name Sons of Liberty. Historically womem within our clan have been well represented at the senior level but under-represented within the general member base. At maximum the record is that 25% of our members were female which is far below best practices and standards. In my job I often talk to managers and organisations about gender and diversity issues; and thus raised the name of our clan as a debate topic.

It has been a very long and heated debates from both genders. Generally what we have decided is that the name of the clan will not change due to the associated history and emotions, however the clan tag may change at certain times.

If we want to attract members to the game and our clan:
1.) Why are we potentially discriminating against women
2.) is there a systematic reason for the under-representation of women in the game and in Sol.

To that end, does the AT community believe it would be meaningful to change the tag to the current suggestions, and for what duration (the female members noted that a one reset change wouldn't be that significant unless it was coordinated with international womens day/week/month)

Tag suggestions so far:
POL (People of Liberty or Persons of Liberty)
SADOL (Sons and Daughters of Liberty)
COL (Children of Liberty)

Do people thing that it is that big of an issue? and would a tag change make a difference?
Not posting on AT as much because Maki/Steeps gave back some of my forums on GHQ. RIP my decade long blog, my blog even had replies from people who are no longer with us :(.

mrford Game profile

Apr 1st 2011, 3:15:33

there are no women on the internet
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

highrock Game profile

Apr 1st 2011, 3:17:12

Originally posted by Evolution:

Do people thing that it is that big of an issue? and would a tag change make a difference?

no
formerly Viola MD

Jiman Game profile

Apr 1st 2011, 3:23:53

one reset change wouldnt be a big deal. an offical name change would make my mind melt.

diez Game profile

Apr 1st 2011, 3:23:53

change your tag to SoB, then more people might join ya..

cypress Game profile

Apr 1st 2011, 3:40:06

Originally posted by mrford:
there are no women on the internet

AGREED!

H4xOr WaNgEr Game profile

Forum Moderator

Apr 1st 2011, 3:47:06

women are under represented in the game in general.

AoS Game profile

Apr 1st 2011, 4:58:02

Change it to CABAL

Children And fluffes All Libertizing
The dreamer is banished to obscurity.

Yamaha Game profile

Apr 1st 2011, 5:01:04

While we're at it we should change the "Manage" tab ingame to "Personage". It pains me to think how demeaning it must be for the female players to have to click on that horrible barbaric word at least once every set.

You would think that in these current times of politically correct everything we could finally, once and for all, abolish every single thing that differentiates between the two sexes.

Let us all pray to God(ess) that someday we may all become Hermaphrodites and the divide will be closed forever!

On a serious note though, It's quite possible that SOL doesn't have many females in it because the game itself doesn't have alot of females in it.
I suspect that perhaps they're turned off from the game by the constant incessant bickering on AT, combined by the increasingly hostile gameplay that will naturally develop in a multifaceted game with a WAY too small playerbase such as this.
Paradigm - The Nuthouse
IMP - Haters Gonna Hate

anubis0079 Game profile

Apr 1st 2011, 5:03:33

I never realized that the name of our alliance had offended any women. a woman recruited me for heaven's sake.

SoLer for Life
"All Hail The Maki!"
Have a heart.....they are really fresh.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 1st 2011, 5:09:02

Suns of Liberty

All hail the powerful Ra!
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

ZDH Game profile

Apr 1st 2011, 5:14:41

I think the Sons in Sons of Liberty is more of a symbol then actually representing a man.

In the bible it refers to men/women as mankind... ect. Anyway I think the name Sons of Liberty is pretty awesome in my opinion I wouldn't change it at all.
-BigZ

Makinso Game profile

Apr 1st 2011, 8:18:12

Gotta love evo.

morwen Game profile

Apr 1st 2011, 9:41:05

I would really encourage a name change... I've also always hated the dark background your GHQ website has, if you want to attract more women in the general membership base, and you don't want to discrimate the non-goth girls, I really suggest you get a different colour scheme on the forums.

(nothing pink please that would be too cheesy)

+1 for sol!

Flamey Game profile

Apr 1st 2011, 9:45:16

Soldiers of Liberty (c)?

But what about older people... don't want to discriminate against them, shouldn't it be Fathers and Sons of Liberty? What about people from other countries... Nichtjes van Liberty? Yea.

Notorious Game profile

Apr 1st 2011, 9:58:57

so who is the self-entitled fluff and/or fluff white knight pushing this forward?
*eats a banana*
Notebook Pusher

Alicia Game profile

Apr 1st 2011, 10:41:32

Sausagefest of Liberty!
Tag: SAUSAGE

Galandy Game profile

Apr 1st 2011, 12:37:07

Originally posted by Alicia:
Sausagefest of Liberty!
Tag: SAUSAGE

She brings up an interesting point.

I mean you all like sausage and Maki wants his to grow already so it only makes sense.....

+1
<[FBI]ZEN> Which is funny...because I am Spanish and Native American mixed....which means I am a Mexican....
<Galandy>move to canada ZEN everyone else does
<[FBI]ZEN> And breed with a Quebecian
<[FBI]ZEN> To make the ultimate snob/migrant worker

Evolution Game profile

Apr 1st 2011, 12:37:18

The original thread on the solers board is still there but had to be closed earlier in the reset, when a member started attacking the country of another member that was strongly in favor of change. Check the news between 12-15 of March for SOLxK3nt vs SOLxK3nt, they did like 40 attacks. I thought they were joking till we saw the news.

Not sure if someone is playing a joke on us, but we got two applications from people claiming to be female today. They seem like legitimate applications but we do not accept applications in the last few days of the reset to prevent suiciders. If they sign up again next reset we will know that they really are legitimate applications. A third application said they would join if we changed our clan name, but I clearly stated here that we are currently discussing changing the TAG ONLY at the moment.

Though our intention wasn't to get members from other clans it was to talk about attracting more players to the game.
Not posting on AT as much because Maki/Steeps gave back some of my forums on GHQ. RIP my decade long blog, my blog even had replies from people who are no longer with us :(.

Alana Game profile

Apr 1st 2011, 13:00:53

I think someone is lying :P

but if you are serious, I wouldn't change it. Women (at least the women that I know) wouldn't be offended by the name Sons of Liberty and they are apart of your alliance even though the name "sons" is in the title.
Alana
LCN Peon

anubis0079 Game profile

Apr 1st 2011, 13:16:34

SOL is ranked too high ;)

SoLer for Life
"All Hail The Maki!"
Have a heart.....they are really fresh.

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 1st 2011, 13:23:41

well there was a daughters of liberty group, just call yourself dol every so often if it worries you

daughters of the american revolution might be a better equivalent group though

Adama Game profile

Apr 1st 2011, 13:43:25

Suni of Liberty

Sifos Game profile

Apr 1st 2011, 14:05:46

Elderly of Liberty
Imaginary Numbers
If you're important enough to contact me, you will know how to contact me.
Self appointed emperor of the Order of Bunnies.
The only way to be certain your allies will not betray you is to kill them all!

Lord Tarnava Game profile

Apr 1st 2011, 15:27:46

can't believe no one posted the obligatory 'April fools joke?' comment

Alana Game profile

Apr 1st 2011, 16:28:55

I said I thought he was lying :P
Alana
LCN Peon

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 1st 2011, 16:45:49

ya, i thought everyone obviously knew this was an april fools joke, but unlike the jerks on my thread, decided not to out it right out of the gate.

Edited By: Pang on Apr 1st 2011, 16:55:30
See Original Post
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Ruthie

Apr 1st 2011, 17:01:17

confirmed, there are no girls that play EE :P
~Ruthless~
Ragnaroks EEVIL Lady

ZDH Game profile

Apr 1st 2011, 17:20:44

I like the SAUSAGE tag lol
-BigZ

Junky Game profile

Apr 1st 2011, 19:10:49

I didn't get my vote put up for Sins of Liberty... I never get to be involved..
I Maybe Crazy... But atleast I'm crazy.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 1st 2011, 21:14:56

heh
Finally did the signature thing.

Don Forgo Game profile

Apr 2nd 2023, 10:19:35

Bump because I can, not my fault this forum doesn't lock old threads.

NukEvil Game profile

Apr 3rd 2023, 19:00:09

Bumping again. This forum also (still) doesn't care if a thread has already been closed.
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.