Verified:

TheORKINMan Game profile

Jul 4th 2010, 17:16:36

Bruce Lee would still wreck Brock Lesnar in a real fight thanks.
Smarter than your average bear.

Waseem Game profile

Jul 4th 2010, 18:31:33

you must not have seen many MMA fights if you've never seen a fight like that.

fights like that happen all the time. one guy gets the advantage early and beats the crap out of the other guy but gets tired as hell by the end of the round.

after the first it was easy pickings for Lesnar.
I'll admit, Lesnar did very well to survive the first round, but finishing off carwin in the second was a joke.

And Leben puts on another good show..he had the craziest look in his eyes at the beginning of the last round. what a psycho haha

Theseus Game profile

Jul 4th 2010, 19:13:38

Originally posted by TheORKINMan:
Bruce Lee would still wreck Brock Lesnar in a real fight thanks.

Bruce Lee and his 135 pounds would be broken in half by modern day mixed martial artists, especially someone like Lesnar who literally is more than twice his size.

TheORKINMan Game profile

Jul 4th 2010, 19:21:18

Nah not in a real fight Theseus. The reason pure Chinese Martial Artists don't fight in UFC is because a lot of their practical fighting techniques such as small joint manipulation are banned in UFC.

Brock Lesnar would get absolutely wrecked by the much much faster in every way Bruce Lee.

Thunder Game profile

Jul 4th 2010, 22:03:04

Chris Leben...all heart last night.
Brian Schaub...amazing :)

Brock Lesnar...unbelievable. You just don't see fights like that at the heavyweight level.

However the greatest fight I've ever seen...Gotti vs Hernandez. Gotti's swollen eyes and the ref comes over inbetween rounds, says, "you gotta do something this round or I'm going to stop teh fight" Bell rings, and about 2 minutes in, Gotti knocks out Hernandez. I've never seen a fight like that since. RIP Arturo Gotti
Thunder
ICQ 56183127
MSN

2010 Armchair GMs League Champion
DEFEATER OF MRFORD!
FoCuS'D

NA FA/Senate
Lords

Ninja since born....Awesome Forever!

kemo Game profile

Jul 4th 2010, 23:13:09

i really think bruces close in lightnin fast chain and snap punches would leave brock lyin on his ass askin for the plates of that truck that just hit him.

brocks style is more sporting oriented with actual rules while bruces leaves the style up to the fighter. itd be a no contest
all praised to ra

A-Rod Game profile

Jul 5th 2010, 5:17:10

ref should have stopped the lesner fight in the first round. brock just laid there in the fetal position with his forearms in front of his face not defending himself. he can't just sit there and ball up for minutes. the fight should have been stopped then. no point in discussing what happened in 2nd round as it never should have happened.

Theseus Game profile

Jul 5th 2010, 10:27:46

Originally posted by A-Rod:
no point in discussing what happened in 2nd round as it never should have happened.

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. It should not have happened (in my personal opinion), thus let's pretend it didn't.

Originally posted by kemo:
i really think bruces close in lightnin fast chain and snap punches would leave brock lyin on his ass askin for the plates of that truck that just hit him.

brocks style is more sporting oriented with actual rules while bruces leaves the style up to the fighter. itd be a no contest

Brock fights the style he fights because we see him fight in the sport. There is absolutely no basis for assuming that he, or any other sanctioned MMA fighter, would be incapable of successfully fighting in an environment where those sanctioned rules were not present.

Bruce Lee was smaller than most women. Size matters. Speed matters too, but the two are not proportional which is why weight classes exist in combat sports. Lesnar is more than twice Lee's size but is probably has several (3-4x) times Lee's strength. Lee is faster, but not twice the speed of Lesnar.

I say all of this not as a WWF fan Brock Lesnar homer, nor as a suburban USA asian culturalophile who is a Bruce Lee expert based on having seen Enter The Dragon 17 times, but as someone who actually lives in China and has practiced martial arts both here and in the USA.

Edit: Typo

Edited By: Theseus on Jul 5th 2010, 10:32:14
See Original Post

Vanessa Paradis

Jul 5th 2010, 11:04:24

"Nah not in a real fight Theseus. The reason pure Chinese Martial Artists don't fight in UFC is because a lot of their practical fighting techniques such as small joint manipulation are banned in UFC."

The reason pure chinese martial artists don't fight in the ufc is because 95% of fights end up on the ground, and martial arts doesn't exactly cover the ground game, does it?

Thunder Game profile

Jul 5th 2010, 12:26:48

Remember the first UFCs were all martial arts..and Karate Masters, Ninjas, and Kung Fu guys didn't fare so well against street fighters with wrestling backgrounds and all bowed down to Brazilian Jujitsu in the end
Thunder
ICQ 56183127
MSN

2010 Armchair GMs League Champion
DEFEATER OF MRFORD!
FoCuS'D

NA FA/Senate
Lords

Ninja since born....Awesome Forever!

TheORKINMan Game profile

Jul 5th 2010, 12:41:01

Almost all MMA Fighters are an expert in some form of asian martial art. They just supplement it with additional ground game training.

Theseus Game profile

Jul 5th 2010, 16:50:18

Originally posted by TheORKINMan:
Almost all MMA Fighters are an expert in some form of asian martial art. They just supplement it with additional ground game training.

See that's not true though. In the early days of the sport when everyone had a single discipline, BJJ especially was dominant because nobody knew what to do with it, but the sport has evolved - another reason I don't favor Lee in today's world. He was revolutionary for combat sports and the first true mixed martial artist, but the athletes of today took what he brought and spent the last 4+ decades improving upon it.

The only way you can say there are more experts in some form of asian martial arts is if you stretch the argument so thin that you claim kickboxing and boxing as having originated in asia, which is technically true. Every form of successful martial art can be said to have originated in asia except for like..greco roman wrestling and russian sambo.

The sport is (unfortunately) largely dominated by wrestlers at this point because they are able to get enough defensive training to neutralize the offense of the other disciplines that base on submissions or strikes.

Of the 5 UFC Champions and next 5 getting a title shot 7 of the 10 have a base skill of wrestling and most were former collegiate wrestlers, 2 muay thai bases, and 1 jiu-jitsu (BJ Penn, who uses boxing 99% of the time over JJ).

TheORKINMan Game profile

Jul 5th 2010, 19:16:57

That appears to be correct Theseus. I know back in the Ken Shamrock days most fighters had a strong background in one martial art. Why fighters these days would NOT though is somewhat mind boggling. While having a good ground game is really really important you'd think the striking ability asian martial arts or even savate or something like that would still be useful.

kemo Game profile

Jul 5th 2010, 20:41:48

had bruce of lived hed improved himself too. he didnt just have speed you gotta member but pure muscle too. so its not like his punches would simply bounce off a bigger guy. im sure he was harder then hell to take down

as i said though jeet kune do wasnt simply stand up fighting. it was the individual fighters decision what to learn and practice.
all praised to ra