Verified:

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 21st 2021, 17:06:32

Right now it uses the most common value of 1 week for country:country DR. I'm interested in arguments for or against changing it.

BlueCow

Apr 21st 2021, 17:10:42

Is there a way to add in a way where breaking gdi will go away after x amount of days?
Slag 12 - Chevs -15

Chevs

Apr 21st 2021, 17:20:20

Originally posted by BlueCow:
Is there a way to add in a way where breaking gdi will go away after x amount of days?

neat idea...i thought it was awkward you could grab someone for 100a early, and then they wait 4 weeks to retal you for 4k acres, and you can't do anything back or you give up the FS
SOF Head Of Poop
2019-04-03 21:40:26 PS the stinky deyicks (#599) Beryl Houston (#360) LaF 30638A (43783A)
En4cer: Chevs... u would have beaten me by more than 100m

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Apr 21st 2021, 18:50:04

In general I think its great if underlaying formulas, mechanics and constants for the game are more or less the same throughout all servers. That aside;

I don't see a reason for the C:C DR to be changed on primary as most grabs are just single PS.

Two examples where C:C matters are
1) A war breaks out and one guy pummels the other, ending up freefarming.
2) Someone finds a guy who doesn't/can't retal and proceds to rack up many hits on that one person.

Now C:C DR works a little strange but the way it works is more or less a good thing in both these situation, no? Maybe it is too harsh in 1) since special attacks add C:C DR of the same half life which usually mean that its maxed at the end of a war and will probably remain more or less maxed til EOS.
Example 2) is something we want to avoid having too much of right? So removing or reducing C:C DR would incentivise this unwanted behavior.

Are we talking about an increase or a decrease? I could see special attacks not giving C:C DR across all servers. If I successfully warred and neutralized my enemy, why should I not get to farm him all set?

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 21st 2021, 19:04:18

If you change it to where the DR has shorter half life it'll make the farming of the weak even more aggressive, what you want is to discourage farming, not intensify it.
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

Chevs

Apr 21st 2021, 19:32:33

to make solo servers dynamic imo you should have topfeeds more powerfull and bottomfeeds less powerful, and grabs not take so many CS.

the current situation is that whales farm the rest with no recourse
SOF Head Of Poop
2019-04-03 21:40:26 PS the stinky deyicks (#599) Beryl Houston (#360) LaF 30638A (43783A)

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 21st 2021, 19:36:00

Originally posted by Chevs:
to make solo servers dynamic imo you should have topfeeds more powerfull and bottomfeeds less powerful, and grabs not take so many CS.

the current situation is that whales farm the rest with no recourse

Topfeeds already are powerful, I can literally go to town on the top guys with what I've got.
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)

Molotov Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 21st 2021, 19:41:08

Agree that special attacks should probably not count on country:country DR, so that if you vanquish someone in war it's not then impossible for you, and only for you, to get any land off them afterwards.

Topfeeds suck but as I posted elsewhere, I think when GDI is broken between two countries, the smaller country should have the option to turn off the humanitarians by declaring war. This would circumvent the "farm and jump out of range" abuse of humanitarian protections that I frequently do, and give the minnows the chance to fight back against those who farm them. This also allows the big country to then attack them some more, but at least it lets the smaller guy throw a few punches. There should obviously also be some restrictions as to when they can declare peace afterwards.

Edited By: Molotov on Apr 21st 2021, 19:46:33
See Original Post

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 21st 2021, 19:44:36

Originally posted by Molotov:
Agree that special attacks should probably not count on country:country DR, so that if you vanquish someone in war it's not then impossible for you, and only for you, to get any land off them afterwards.

Topfeeds suck but as I posted elsewhere, I think when GDI is broken between two countries, the smaller country should have the option to turn off the humanitarians by declaring war. This would circumvent the "farm and jump out of range" abuse of humanitarian protections that I frequently do, and give the minnows the chance to fight back against those who farm them. This also allows the big country to then attack them some more, but at least it lets them throw a few punches. There should obviously also be some restrictions as to when they can declare peace afterwards.

I agree with you, this will discourage farming.
(•_•)

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Apr 21st 2021, 21:36:40

That goes both ways, it will encourage cheating.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 21st 2021, 21:42:30

Originally posted by Gerdler:
That goes both ways, it will encourage cheating.

How so?, I'm confused with the cheating part.....
(•_•)

Molotov Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 21st 2021, 21:43:03

To exploit it, people would need a second account or a friend serving as one, and if they have that, there are plenty of other ways they can already cheat.

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Apr 21st 2021, 21:46:25

If you make a landfarm for someone its helpful if no one else can attack it or even spy it.

Plus right now we have active admin and mods and you are counting on that to continue. Im not. if you make game mechanics that make cheating easier and better than today there will be more people that try to get away with it and more people that slip through. At some point all will slip through.

Molotov Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 21st 2021, 22:02:04

I can think of already existing ways for a "helper" to funnel someone land that are more effective than that.

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Apr 21st 2021, 22:04:33

Another point; if you are 1/4th the NW of someone, you have lost the game. Why should the game give you a crutch when you cant come back?
There should be guides and helpful strategy boards where you can ask questions and teach yourself not to be in that position, yes. But there are already enough things to level the playing field (humanitarians, NW modifier for special attacks, NW modifier for grabs, spy ops damage, missiles damage, more tech needed for bigger countries to get the same amount of warfare/SDI etc etc).

Enough of these crutches in the game and wars never end. We are more or less already there.

Molotov Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 21st 2021, 22:08:28

I'm a weaker player but I have 2m tanks so I can AB those who multitap me, and I have 25 missiles. GDI doesn't let me just waste anyone who grabs me, but this still serves as a deterrent from any multitaps until one day the game allows someone to hit me 5 times for 2500 acres and when I go to retal, I'm not allowed. The game lets him farm me but blocks me from responding with my well-prepped war country. The country that hit me can even run 0 SDI and 15k tanks, and it's no problem for them.

The humanitarians (in addition to preventing griefers) are meant to protect small countries from those much bigger than them but here it's doing the opposite. It's protecting the big from the small that they run over. This is an exploit of a game mechanic and it's a flaw that should be fixed.

(as long as i'm sticking up for small countries let me put in a plug on behalf of the big ones: i know spal is what matters for ops but raw numbers of spies should count for SOMETHING in terms of success rates)

Edited By: Molotov on Apr 21st 2021, 22:26:18
See Original Post

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Apr 21st 2021, 22:13:34

The problem is if you are in this position and don't have the resources/skill to jump to 25% of someones NW, why should you have the right to take it that far?

I think in many cases these players dont know how this works, and I do concede that this is a problem. Some of these retals would get done if everyone knew about this. But if people know this and still cant jump to 1/4th, I dont see an advantage in giving them another crutch.

Molotov Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 21st 2021, 22:23:33

It's not a crutch though... it's not helping their success rates or increasing their damage levels, it's just removing a restriction that's being abused, to allow them to use what they have against those who have escalated against them first.

Anyway I see you don't support this and that's fine, but I wonder about the rest of the community. Is there anyone else who thinks the "farm and jump out of humanitarian range" technique should be left unaddressed?

Molotov Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 21st 2021, 22:31:02

obviously if i farm someone who possesses 25 missiles and jump out of range, i deserve to eat those missiles. however i can see how this would suck if a dude i double tapped in week 2 comes back with a war dec and 25 missiles a month later. that's i think the best argument against this change, that its impact could go well beyond just preventing the humanitarian abuse move. but idk... makes a real tradeoff between playing the single-tap delphinus game and going ham on folks. pumps up sdi tech. idk

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 21st 2021, 22:42:22

Who is a serial abuser of humanitarians range jumping this round? That always felt tough to pull off to me. Defenders really can't jump up to 25% of the NW needed? It's 4X cheaper for them than the attacker?

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Apr 21st 2021, 22:44:13

I think they are either not interested in retalling or don't know they need to jump to a specific NW. The humanitarians message might be revamped to show ranges?

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Apr 21st 2021, 22:45:11

Yeah I honestly had the same thought. If it's actually a problem then the issue is likely caused by the defender not knowing how to counter it.

Molotov Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 21st 2021, 22:46:54

Originally posted by Slagpit:
Who is a serial abuser of humanitarians range jumping this round? That always felt tough to pull off to me. Defenders really can't jump up to 25% of the NW needed? It's 4X cheaper for them than the attacker?

I do it every round multiple times... guess I can feel less guilty about it knowing I lobbied to get it addressed. I’ll keep doing it though because it’s a good way to get some blood from the stone that is the land pool on this server.

Edited By: Molotov on Apr 21st 2021, 22:57:28
See Original Post

Tmac Game profile

Apr 21st 2021, 22:59:31

The more I farm the same country, the less I get, but they lose more. I start out getting 300 acres while they lose 150. After farming them I get about 230 while they lose 220. I'm not really sure why taking away ghost acres while causing the defender to lose more is good here.

Breaking gdi shouldn't expire, you just need to select targets better. Best to not hit efficient countries, especially for 100 acres.

Topfeeding will be a thing of the past once the 10% rule is added. Why should the player putting minimal effort in have the advantage on all players above them in land? I could run a 5k acre tyr tech, stock, and triple my land in one hit. It's not an efficient way to run my country, just a way to screw someone else for a laugh.

If you're getting farmed you're doing everything wrong. Not sure why anyone wants to encourage that. You can keep running a rainbow as long as you have warfare tech. Now you'll only get multi tapped if someone uses humanitarian range to their advantage. To avoid that you'll have to strategize.

I don't think the idea of letting people who get farmed turn off humanitarian range is good either. They may get some satisfaction of hitting the bigger guy(probably not causing much damage), but now they're the big guy's personal farm. At least now they get hit and don't see them for the rest of the set.

Molotov Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 21st 2021, 23:01:51

Well they could declare peace to avoid being his farm forever.

Tmac Game profile

Apr 21st 2021, 23:05:05

Could I declare war then?

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Apr 21st 2021, 23:07:11

yeah good point because if this goes one way, it has to go the other way. Or you want to make it so people can hide with cash under humanitarians range and make war with you and then jump out of range, stock up new missiles and then do it again in a week?

I mean this is possible now but it would be another crutch if the small player could do this in an asymetrical war situation, and you cant jump in and out.

Molotov Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 21st 2021, 23:10:45

Originally posted by Tmac:

Not the way I described it.

Tmac Game profile

Apr 21st 2021, 23:14:58

Originally posted by Molotov:
Originally posted by Tmac:

Not the way I described it.

Doesn't seem fair to me that one party can declare war to avoid humanitarians, but the other party can't.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 21st 2021, 23:15:52

Maybe everyone starts in GDI with 30 missiles? 10/10/10, if you opt out of GDI you lose them? I bet the farming will come to an abrupt stop!.... LOL
(•_•)

Molotov Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 21st 2021, 23:45:57

I’m just trying to find fixes for a mechanic I know I abuse to beat up on people not as good as me...

How about this fix instead? Humanitarians don’t kick in until 48 hours/96 turns after the opposing country last hit you. Might be a much cleaner fix.

Tmac Game profile

Apr 22nd 2021, 0:10:48

You would still be creating a situation where the smaller guys can ignore humanitarians while the bigger one can't though.

Ex.
I farm someone and jump out of range. Now they can hit me for 48 hours without me being able to hit back? It would have to restart the timer every time they hit me too.

Molotov Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 22nd 2021, 0:13:27

Yes, it would work both ways with this new idea.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 22nd 2021, 0:14:47

The idea is to discourage farming, that does that!
(•_•)

Tmac Game profile

Apr 22nd 2021, 0:28:24

That's at least fair then. I still think we should encourage people to read server details because it clearly states humanitarian range. They should also learn how to get 25% of my nw. I only do that strategy on rainbows because their growth potential is so clear.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Apr 22nd 2021, 0:34:38

I agree with you and that's why I too farm rainbows.
(•_•)

DeLpHiNuS Game profile

Apr 22nd 2021, 13:49:25

What about reducing the gains much more drastically and increasing military losses for those who keep farming same target? Maybe that would discourage the top from farming the same weak guy too frequently

Tmac Game profile

Apr 22nd 2021, 19:50:33

People like to count hits and judge solely on that. I look at it different. I triple tap someone for 1500 acres and they lose maybe 800 acres. On their 7k-8k acres they can explore it all back in a day. I'm leading the server in land lost, not any of the guys I farmed, lol.

I would actually like to see more land on the server. More ghost acres =)

Chevs

Apr 22nd 2021, 20:47:09

I agree with Molotov.

Or we need some robinhood type folks who are good at the game to dish out some vigilante justice to the farmers hmmm protectors of the innocent noobies
SOF Head Of Poop

Tmac Game profile

Apr 22nd 2021, 21:23:13

Originally posted by Chevs:
I agree with Molotov.

Or we need some robinhood type folks who are good at the game to dish out some vigilante justice to the farmers hmmm protectors of the innocent noobies

Lol, chevs the good guy.