Verified:

gobbly Game profile

May 8th 2012, 0:29:09

Originally posted by Anonymous:
Before you spout off like some kind of legal expert, please try to have a clue what you are talking about.

I'm certainly not a lawyer, but have worked on these issues before, with federal law enforcement. I also can read, which I put to good use on the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, which clearly states:

18 USC ss 1030
"(5)(A) knowingly causes the transmission of a program, information, code, or command, and as a result of such conduct, intentionally causes damage without authorization, to a protected computer;
(B) intentionally accesses a protected computer without authorization, and as a result of such conduct, recklessly causes damage; or"

To be effected by the law the site would have to conduct interstate commerce or communications. This site qualifies for at least the latter. The game database was altered, which is similar to the situation I had to work with law enforcement on in the past, and was sufficient to fullfill the requirement that the action cause 'reckless damage'.

so I'm not sure what you're getting at... I would be shocked if a lawyer were to come on here and give you a legal opinion, and I'm certainly not claiming to be one. I can't help but think, it's really easy for you to disagree, but you don't provide any information to support your claim that my information is inaccurate.

edit: and just to clarify, you might be right. I'm unaware of any precedents related to this, or conflicting legislation. But without information to corroborate your claim, your statement lacks credibility.

Edited By: gobbly on May 8th 2012, 0:34:38
Back To Thread
See Original Post
See Subsequent Edit