Verified:

trumper Game profile

Sep 6th 2011, 20:35:34

Originally posted by mrford:
now that the health risks of smoking are becoming apparent and the effects (the extent is in debate but no one can sit there and say that 2nd hand smoke is a good thing) are comming into focus, they are moving to regulate it. you dont have free will to drink wherever and whenever you want, you dont for smoking either.

The problem is in the assumptions that all secondhand smoke leads to cancer. I believe (and feel free to correct me with empirical data) that secondhand was shown to have some effects when smoked in a static environment (indoors, in a car, etc, without ventilation) and within six feet. Of course you would need repetition to the upteenth degree to ever actually cause the seriously harmful affects. So I have always found the secondhand smoking argument to be one of those arguments like requiring every passenger seat on an airplane to have a personal flotation device.

With that said, I think it's disrespectful for someone to smoke in the immediate vincinity/company of others without seeking some sort of permission unless it's a clearly ventilated area. I actually think of folks with asthma as my primary reason for trying to be as far away as possible. I also believe that indoor smoking regulation of public facilities is fine. Private facilities should get to make their own decisions.