Verified:

NOW3P Game profile

Apr 28th 2011, 5:10:44

Ok, so this is more aimed at the older contingent, but I'm just a little curious...do stylized resumes make a difference in getting noticed for potential jobs in your experience (for jobs that don't have a design responsibility)?

I see pros and cons to it, so I'm just curious what peoples' personal experience is in either reviewing or submitting resumes with some artistic qualities to them.

Here's some examples:

creativenerds.co.uk/inspiration/20-creative-resume-designs-which-will-amaze-any-potential-employer/

I've recreated a few for my design work, and I'm trying to figure out if I want to use them for other things as well.

Thanks!

Evolution Game profile

Apr 28th 2011, 5:24:43

Well as long as its consistant, easy to read, still looks formal, but shows you have put a bit more effort in then it is a plus.

However content thats well set out, is quite important. I saw one managers CV, he had amazing work experience but nearly got culled because it was set out so badly.
Not posting on AT as much because Maki/Steeps gave back some of my forums on GHQ. RIP my decade long blog, my blog even had replies from people who are no longer with us :(.

braden Game profile

Apr 28th 2011, 12:50:16

go mostly pink, streamers and glitter and rainbows and unicorns. maybe one of those lol cats, just hanging around, kind of thing

i'd hire you.

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Apr 28th 2011, 20:03:14

no, if i have to get their attention, i'm doing my job wrong.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

Marshal Game profile

Apr 28th 2011, 21:15:59

some have put leafs on their job applications and also used A3 or bigger paper.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

NOW3P Game profile

Apr 29th 2011, 17:31:47

Braden - You read my mind!!!

Evo - I pretty much agree.

Dibs - you can get paid to drink!? Sign me up!!!

I was thinking more along the lines of something like these:

http://www.jbatesdesign.com/Jason D Bates Resume 2.pdf (copy/paste, I broke EE forum formatting)

http://www.jbatesdesign.com/Jason_D_Bates_Resume.pdf

paulie Game profile

Apr 29th 2011, 18:00:40

IF im looking at 4 resumes a day, over the course of three days, the one that stands out and says to me, this person is trying to sell themselves, and has put a great amount of effort into this is the one that will stand up in my mind, and push me towards the interview to see whats being sold

FOG!!

Azz Kikr Game profile

Wiki Mod

Apr 29th 2011, 18:43:39

i think it depends a helluva lot on what you're applying for :P
unicorns and glitter aren't going to earn you many points if you're applying at an engineering firm. unless they're engineering shiny one-horned mythical animals ...

NOW3P Game profile

Apr 29th 2011, 20:48:12

I think you're probably right AK - I know I have tossed resumes in the past that were over or under done, or just not appropriate for the position - although I have to admit, the one that stood out to me the most over the years was one that had "Why {Applicant Name} Is Totally Awesome!" for a header, and followed that tone all the way through - I hired the guy just based on his creativity.

May 1st 2011, 21:14:27

meh, i might just not understand what you mean by stylized...

if you mean that the resume is focused on your talents that are pertinent to the job that you are applying for, then i would say it makes a difference...

if you mean that it looks like a pretty piece of fluff, then i would say don't bother submitting it.

i used to have to focus my resumes on the job that i was applying for, instead of just listing my vast amount of experience in being able to secure a job that paid the bills.

May 1st 2011, 21:20:57

and, pffft, if you want to drink on the job, join a union, preferably one that works for the government, because they have difficulties in firing people due to drug impairment.

and no, that doesn't apply to me because i'm self-employed with no union agreement. i can be fired at a moment's notice without any damn good reason whatsoever. i'm kinda thinking that maybe they have a damn good reason to make sure i don't run out of the booze.

Edited By: Dibs Ludicrous on May 1st 2011, 21:27:17. Reason: saw a hair on uranus
See Original Post

NOW3P Game profile

May 2nd 2011, 1:04:03

If you're self employed, wouldn't you have to fire yourself? Otherwise, if someone else can fire you I'd be hard pressed to call that self employed...

*confuzzled*

May 2nd 2011, 15:35:33

meh, the client would just tell me that they no longer need my services.

braden Game profile

May 2nd 2011, 21:29:15

what do you do, dibs?

May 3rd 2011, 23:36:17

computer junk, mostly database related.

Evolution Game profile

May 4th 2011, 12:53:24

Originally posted by Dibs Ludicrous:
computer junk, mostly database related.

aww I thought you were going to say pros......

anyways do de do do de do do
Not posting on AT as much because Maki/Steeps gave back some of my forums on GHQ. RIP my decade long blog, my blog even had replies from people who are no longer with us :(.

May 4th 2011, 21:17:52

naw, not allowed to do that here. might be allowed to dance around 1/2 naked with a roll of socks or two stuffed in my undies... might be enough to help you achieve your dreams...