Verified:

Helmet Game profile

Jun 23rd 2011, 13:05:35

How many years have you kept the same vehicle and how many miles did you put on it(not total miles)?

I have the itch for a new car so bad. I've had my altima 5 years and put 80k miles on it. I like the car, I am just wanting to get back to a truck/suv really bad. I find myself looking at used vehicles almost daily, but don't really want to pull the trigger yet.

The grease monkey part of me wants to just keep it and see how many miles I can get out of it. When you do all of the work yourself I think you become a lot more attached to the vehicle.

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Jun 23rd 2011, 13:27:39

8 years even for my Celica. put around 50k miles on it.
i intend to keep it until death, maybe even a bit beyond it.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

Helmet Game profile

Jun 23rd 2011, 13:59:29

I said that about my 99 Pathfinder, which was a Michigan vehicle. When the rust got to the point it was about to start showing, I was done with it. :) I hate rust and I can't stand to look at it. I see my floor plan just now starting to rust on this car and it's got me worried.

I'm just getting ready to hit 100k on the altima and I'm sure it would go to 200k, but can I go that long? haha

Jun 23rd 2011, 14:15:22

yah, rust would interfer with my wishes. but not if i kill it first. hmm, i should do a rust inspection. well, i should take it in for servicing, but it might need clutch, brakes, shocks. i don't want to see the bill until i've eliminated my current debt load. well, i'll at least wait until August when my inspection expires. argh.

Havoc Game profile

Jun 23rd 2011, 14:52:25

I have a 12 yr old Rav 4 with 300k KMs.. still goin' strong!
Havoc
Unholy Monks | The Omega

Helmet Game profile

Jun 23rd 2011, 15:31:41

Originally posted by Dibs Ludicrous:
yah, rust would interfer with my wishes. but not if i kill it first. hmm, i should do a rust inspection. well, i should take it in for servicing, but it might need clutch, brakes, shocks. i don't want to see the bill until i've eliminated my current debt load. well, i'll at least wait until August when my inspection expires. argh.

A little preventative maintenance goes a long way with rust. I had a spot where the metal bends and I've noticed the paint cracking. I put some clear coat on it every year and it's still looking fine. Had I let it go I'm sure I'd have rust by now.

I think on the floor plans i'm going to sand it down and spray it with some rustoleum or spray on bed liner.

Originally posted by Havoc:
I have a 12 yr old Rav 4 with 300k KMs.. still goin' strong!

Nice!

Vic Rattlehead Game profile

Jun 23rd 2011, 16:53:58

Come by a car from me! :) You deserve a new F150! ;P

http://www.battlefieldfordmercury.com/ou/culpeper-ford-mercury/
NA hFA
gchat:
yahoo chat:

available 24/7

Helmet Game profile

Jun 23rd 2011, 17:54:45

I'd like to have a raptor!

Klown Game profile

Jun 23rd 2011, 20:32:49

Just bought a 2010 Silverado yesterday. It worked out pretty nice, I was able to put a large down payment on it because my 2004 Trailblazer that I drove for 4 years and put 100k miles on got totaled out by a huge hail storm so the insurance company wrote me a big check.

Marco Game profile

Jun 24th 2011, 13:00:26

04 dodge ram, I put like 2 k miles a year on it :)
09 ford f650, approx 80 k a year.

I'llKeep my ram until I find a prettier truck, actually thinking about th this nice srt10.
The 650 gets swapped when maintenance costs more then it should. Usually after about 4 years.

Marco Game profile

Jun 24th 2011, 13:02:28

Oh and my 88 mustang gets about 3 miles a year. 1/4 mile at a time. It will never be replaced, I will be buried in it.

NOW3P Game profile

Jun 24th 2011, 21:40:01

I currently have an '02 Volvo V40 that I have owned since it was new, and a 96 Grand Caravan that has been in my family since it was new. The Volvo has 106k miles on it and gets about 28 mpg, and the Caravan has about 65k on it and gets 19'ish.

I owned an 86 Mercedes 190e, 2.3 liter 16 valve model, for 8 years until I had to sell it when I moved overseas, and put about 82k on it. I still miss that car :-(

mrford Game profile

Jun 24th 2011, 22:44:57

i have a 1996 Camaro with at least 200K miles on the body but the drive train is completely reworked. It was my first car, got it when i was 16.

i have a 1989 Chevy 1500 truck that has 240K miles on it, i bought it when it had 170K miles on it. I have rebuilt the drive train myself and it runs strong.

My DD is a 2006 Altima with about 110K miles on it and i plan to keep her for another few years at least

My Wife has a Brand new 2011 Altima, yeah we like Altimas that much, we bought a new one

Im a grease monkey and i love getting older cars and working on them. Sometimes if i have a free weekend i will go to the local Pull-a-Part and pull a SBC, spend a weekend or 2 tearing it apart and rebuilding it, and sell it for a profit. nothing more fun than that.

I will probably have a nissan or related midsized DD for the rest of my life and have a weekend "Toy" for the same.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Vic Rattlehead Game profile

Jun 25th 2011, 2:42:03

Originally posted by Helmet:
I'd like to have a raptor!

Raptors are AWESOME.

Average transaction price is slightly over sticker though.
NA hFA
gchat:
yahoo chat:

available 24/7

Klown Game profile

Jun 25th 2011, 7:16:13

Originally posted by Marco:
04 dodge ram, I put like 2 k miles a year on it :)
09 ford f650, approx 80 k a year.

I'llKeep my ram until I find a prettier truck, actually thinking about th this nice srt10.
The 650 gets swapped when maintenance costs more then it should. Usually after about 4 years.

80k a year? Geez and I thought I drove a lot

Marco Game profile

Jun 25th 2011, 17:38:55

Tow truck

Haseeb

Jun 25th 2011, 22:37:38

A kia!

Helmet Game profile

Jun 28th 2011, 0:38:51

I couldn't imagine paying for insurance and crap for more than one vehicle. I need a three car garage too. That's on my wish list for our next house. I'd like to have a car and a truck/suv.

Junky Game profile

Jun 29th 2011, 5:03:12

my family keeps our vehicles til the bottom rusts open....
I Maybe Crazy... But atleast I'm crazy.

trumper Game profile

Jun 30th 2011, 14:14:34

I ditched my car when the mechanic said replacing the clutch system would cost $1,600 since he would have to drop out chassy. The KBB value was about $400 less. I did eek out 198k miles on the original clutch. Shoot the most major repair I did was a fuel pump (lucky me). But I decided I really don't need a car right now as I can just take my girlfriend's suv when I need to so what's the point. If I had to stay late at this job I would, but cabs/Metro in DC aren't bad at all for me.

Jun 30th 2011, 19:50:08

funny, i always had to drop the tranny when i replaced a clutch... never had to shift the chasis off of the jack stands. i was probably doing it wrong as i only made like $100 replacing clutches, or a 6 pack, depending on who the person was.

Marco Game profile

Jul 1st 2011, 15:37:50

Dibs legit mechanics charge by the book. By the book would be completley removing the trans from the chassis. Even though they don't, they still charge for it.

trumper Game profile

Jul 1st 2011, 15:38:59

funny, i always had to drop the tranny when i replaced a clutch... never had to shift the chasis off of the jack stands. i was probably doing it wrong as i only made like $100 replacing clutches, or a 6 pack, depending on who the person was.

NOW you tell me this!

Marco Game profile

Jul 1st 2011, 15:53:51

They could also be talking about the clutch pedal chassis wich does involve a while hell of a lot of work. Need to pull the entire dash, steering column, etc to get to the bolts on the inner firewall to remove the assembly. Steeda clutch chassis in my mustang :) makes for nasty clutch response.

Jul 2nd 2011, 9:29:14

meh, i usually try to get them to point and grunt if i don't know what they're talking about. $1600 might be 1/2 of my car's totally depreciated current value. mechanics should depreciate their rates when working on older cars to match the loss in value. :-P

trumper Game profile

Jul 6th 2011, 20:14:09

meh, i usually try to get them to point and grunt if i don't know what they're talking about. $1600 might be 1/2 of my car's totally depreciated current value. mechanics should depreciate their rates when working on older cars to match the loss in value. :-P

That's a good point Marco and I'm not sure if they were. Also a good point DL--one would think unless it's cost prohibitive that they would simply reduce the cost to get the people to buy their service. Although this place is in Silver Spring, MD at DC border so they're not hurting for business at all.

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 24th 2011, 9:03:36

I had a 1954 Desoto Firedome for quite some time. It had the original 283 Hemi Engine in it. Got great gas mileage for such a large old car. Sold it to a New Jersey State Cop while I was still in the Navy, the thing had a huge number of miles on it, but was still in great condition.

Cerberus of the MI
I don't need anger management, people need to stop pissing me off!

fazer Game profile

Jul 24th 2011, 13:57:40

It sucks I've never had that attachment with a car. I e usually replaced every two years. :( I'd love an old school mustang like a 66 in dark gun metal grey...a bit off topic. But oh wells.
- -

Fazer - MGP

"if somethings not fun, why do it?"

http://www.boxcarhosting.com/...pplication.php?clanID=MGP