Verified:

NOW3P Game profile

Aug 26th 2011, 20:57:22

http://ageofempiresonline.com/#prev

downloading and installing it now - I couldn't even count how many hours I spent playing this back in the day.

Not sure how thrilled I am about it loading in Win Live Game Launcher thingy majobber...

Marshal Game profile

Aug 26th 2011, 21:22:32

nice name on prog to be dl'd.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

Link Game profile

Aug 26th 2011, 22:14:42

i seen that.. AoE2 is still one of my fav. games :P

let me know if its any good lol
Link.

I Am a meat popsicle.

Elders
ICN
NBK
PanLV
SALT
MaK
Valks
CwG

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Aug 27th 2011, 2:26:31

interesting...

keep us apprised :)
Finally did the signature thing.

NOW3P Game profile

Aug 27th 2011, 3:32:39

Well....

yeah....

It IS awesome....but it totally sucks at the same time.

For a short explanation - think Evony, but with right click interface controls for units, and MUCH better quality. If you don't know Evony, here's the long version...

I like the reworked graphics. They're relatively true to the old styling, and remind me a bit of AoE crossed with the original Warcraft. I also like the game play - it's pretty well replicated from the original, with a couple extra tweaks. Overall, it's pretty fun/addictive to play.

They've added a new layer of game play with something along the lines of city states. I haven't quite figured out exactly what purpose they serve because I haven't leveled up enough to have full control of mine yet, but you travel from city state to city state doing quests (which are essentially where the old game play comes into the game) for supplies to build your city state up.

BUT!

There are just a couple little things that really irk me, and I can only see it getting worse as I move through the game...

First and foremost on my gripe list is that it's a "premium package pay system" game. This isn't really a good or bad thing overall, but I don't like games where I have to pay to be competitive with the top level players...it's just a personal thing, but still a con for me none the less. If you want to pay a $15/month subscription fee, you can dominate %95 of the players with little effort.

The other problem with it is that it's almost completely quest based. Quests range from performing a building activity in your main city state to going through a game play scenario outside of your city state. Quests are fine and good, but there doesn't seem to be any way at all to play random maps/scenarios or independent play other than a PvP connection - you basically follow the story line, or go fight someone else.

Units and techs are pretty decent. They're a little watered down, but not so much that you'll mind. The UI is still a bit clunky, but I suspect this will change as they continue to roll out the game.

NOW3P Game profile

Aug 28th 2011, 4:48:16

up to level 8 - lots more options for game play time. Sounds like you can only hit level 20 of 40 without the premium package.

ZDH Game profile

Aug 29th 2011, 12:49:27

I'm gonna check it out I enjoyed the WC1-3 those are actually my fav games on computer. WC3 was a mofo on dial up though so never got to really enjoy it. Now I got high speed :-D and can't wait to play.

I hate quests though :(
-BigZ

ZDH Game profile

Aug 29th 2011, 13:01:59

BTW can we play Co-Op for free NOW3P or is it pay i'm not done DLing the update yet so I have no clue.

If we can't and can only play against each other let me learn how to play a little bit and we can go head to head. I'm not real good at games like this especially since I have no mouse (just the pad on laptop) but maybe i'll learn some tricks from ya lol.
-BigZ

Marshal Game profile

Aug 29th 2011, 19:28:33

looksllike only premuim members can start matches at arena and at sparta free members can fight against eachothers or premium members.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

ZDH Game profile

Aug 30th 2011, 5:17:36

How the hell do you play I had to link it to my xbox live account and it asks me for 25 digit number from a prepaid card...I thought it was free?
-BigZ

NOW3P Game profile

Aug 30th 2011, 17:07:19

hmm - I didn't get asked to do that....not sure what to tell ya.

You can do co-op on missions, but I haven't figured that out yet.

my username is mountainyprawn4 if you want to add me