Verified:

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 20th 2010, 5:37:14

I know that EE is looking to get into the Facebook market and there will be lots of new players. I know in other games I have played which are looking to increase their market, they made the game more friendly by implementing a challenge quest in the beginning which would teach some of the basic concepts and perhaps give goals and/or rewards for small accomplishments.

There could be some companion on one of the sides that makes the suggestions like: building CS, specializing (maybe have them choose farmer, casher, indy and then give them realistic goals), exploring, attacking, selling on the market (public/private), etc... all the things that experienced players know to do, but without making them have to search the wiki. It doesn't need to be perfect, and it doesn't have to be turn by turn instructions.

For example, have the companion (make it earth related somehow, a top adviser?) suggest that by turn 99 they should have X CS and Y Farms, make mention that protection will be gone after that and they should prepare defense. Show that they can sell on their private market for cash in the beginning. I'm sure the different alliances who have trainers could easily come up with a few different scenarios, and then at the end, give them a small bonus such as cash/turns/increased production.

If primary server is going to be where most new players are sent, you could have it just there, at least for testing purposes and see how it goes. I think this way new players will easily learn some of the basics and be more enticed to stay and learn the more advanced topics.

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 20th 2010, 5:45:24

Oh additionally, the reward could be something that leads into the next learning phase. Maybe reward them with 100 tech beneficial to whichever strategy they chose to follow. Then it could be mentioned that technology is good, and they should produce it or better yet buy it if they are not specialized for research.

And after their first defend, some small notes could be mentioned about that being a part of the game and different ways to prevent it (more defense, higher networth/land). If there was an automatic attack as part of that, which they could then spy and retal, that could be a great additional learning tool, though that may present some programming difficulties.

Dragonlance Game profile

Jul 20th 2010, 7:26:54

it is a good idea, however i think one of the biggest joys of first starting a game like this, is discovering how everything works yourself. Which of course you would do in the primary game setup..

i don't think we want to take too much away from that sense of running a country how you see fit, and not to a specific lineated strategy as given down by the great overlord/game..

Anyway, just a thought.

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 20th 2010, 7:46:37

I think they would still get that chance to learn, because this is just the most basic introduction. Plus, they can still build however they want to build, they don't have to follow the adviser, but it's the typical advice given even in the wiki, but more focused so they will not have to spend several days of reading just to know how to spend their first turns.

It's like when you first learn cooking, you start with a recipe, and when you get more experienced you can change things to your taste and eventually create your own. However, if you just start throwing things randomly together, maybe you'll have fun, but it is doubtful you'll ever arrive at anything palatable.

But I do understand what you're saying, and maybe it's not a good idea for EE, but I thought I'd throw it out here to see what people think so thanks for getting the ball rolling.