Verified:

soroosha Game profile

Feb 23rd 2014, 9:26:17

How different is this from before? (with Utopia)

Marshal Game profile

Feb 23rd 2014, 12:41:28

alot different than utopia (no spells, instead spy ops and no fantasay chars like dwarfs etc instead troops etc) and dollars instead gold and plenty of other things.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

Twain Game profile

Feb 23rd 2014, 14:26:42

(s)he probably means compared to Earth: 2025, when it was on a site with Utopia.

That's what I'll answer:

It's for the most part the same game, but here's what's different:

1) It actually has an active mod and development team, so cheating is actually pretty well controlled here.

2) For the same reason as above, they make a lot of minor tweaks to the game, so while the basic ideas are the same (most strats, like rep-casher, commie-indy, theo-techer still work, for instance), there are certainly a bunch of new rules you'll want to acquaint yourself with.

3) The community is smaller but for the most part much more mature. There is still trash talk and people who are obnoxious, but most of us are grown up enough that no one really takes it as seriously as people used to (although you might have some people argue this given recent events on our server, I whole heartedly believe this to be true). If you want to join a big clan, you may still have to deal with some politicking, but not that much, and if you want to play solo, generally if you come on the forums, tell people who you are and ask for pacts from the big clans, they'll generally treat you with a decent amount of respect right out of the gate even without having to "earn" that respect by showing that you can keep up. This isn't 100% true, but it's much more true than E:2025 and it's also much more true than on the Alliance server.

4) Most netters use land-trading/self-farming instead of grabbing outside the tag due to its efficiency.

I'd say those are the main things. Of course, if you really were asking to compare EE to Utopia, I'm sure it's much more different, but I never played Utopia, so I don't actually have any idea.

Another Deadman

Feb 23rd 2014, 19:11:14

I remember when earth was on site with Utopia, that was almost a hundred years ago now. If I remember right, it was all under the echelon banner.
When I tried earth then, I didn't like it. :P

Dragon Game profile

Feb 23rd 2014, 19:52:25

Echelon. Now THAT'S Old School. I wasn't around when it was Solaria though. Which is Founder Old School stuff.

Edited By: Dragon on Feb 23rd 2014, 19:54:38
See Original Post

Another Deadman

Feb 23rd 2014, 20:03:00

:) I have played a lot of Utopia. hehhehe

Marshal Game profile

Feb 23rd 2014, 21:04:49

dunno about maturity when reading some posts during wars.

RaTS FYA Game profile

Feb 23rd 2014, 21:37:34

I'd actually say maturity has gone way down. Wars seem to be entirely focused on grudges and hurt feelings these days, not actual ingame actions.
<~qzjul> it gives you a good introduction to orbital mechanics and a good appreciation for how central delta-V is and thrust to weight ratio
<RaTSFYA>The only thrust to weight ratio I'm worried about involves the women I pick up at bars

Marshal Game profile

Feb 23rd 2014, 21:48:56

cause fights are nowadays against same opponents mostly when in earth2025 there were more tags to war.

Another Deadman

Feb 23rd 2014, 22:53:19

Twain, you said above that we could pact alliances with each other? In my relations page, I figured out that I could send pacts to my different countries, but we can do that with other people too?

Marshal Game profile

Feb 24th 2014, 1:02:06

Originally posted by Another Deadman:
Twain, you said above that we could pact alliances with each other? In my relations page, I figured out that I could send pacts to my different countries, but we can do that with other people too?

he meant pacts between alliances aka tag x won't hit tag y or vice versa if both have signed pact. you can send ingame ally offers to any1 but defense, offense and trade pact offers give free spy op to whomever you sent offer.

Twain Game profile

Feb 24th 2014, 1:29:30

Originally posted by Another Deadman:

What Marshal said. If you build a clan, you could ask the big clans for some type of pact, typically the main two used in FFA are:

NAP = Non-Aggression Pact, basically the two sides won't hit each other at all, but otherwise have no interests in helping each other out either, or
FDP = Full Defensive Pact, basically the NAP plus the promise that if my clan and your clan were allied and you were attacked and needed help, we'd come to your aid. There's also an LDP, Limited Def. PAct, which basically puts some limitations on who and when someone will come to your aid.

There's no in-game mechanic for it, it's just something that we as players in the game discuss with each other. For instance, (not to try to inject politics into this thread), NBK, PANLV and Ares are all allied this set and are warring against ICD and CC, who are also allied to each other.

In addition, since we (PANLV) and TKO are usually two of the better netgaining clans, we usually ally each other because it's beneficial for us to stay out of each others' news, because if PAN and TKO traded hits, it'd probably end up being a situation where no one really came out ahead, because we're fairly evenly matched, skillwise.