ninong Game profile

Jan 18th 2013, 6:57:54

11. LCN

SOL is ranked to high
ninong, formerly Johnny Demonic
IX

locket Game profile

Jan 18th 2013, 8:12:35

Combined political power, numbers,warring and netting abilitys.
1 Laf - Big, bad, and strong in all 4
2 Sof - Big enough in numbers and strong politically. Not bad at netting.
2 MD - A very good FS this set, good numbers, not bad at netting, not sure politically.
4 Evo - Weakness in numbers and I am not sure about them politically right now.
5 Sol - Decent numbers and putting up great wallers this war.
6 Rival - Not sure what Rivals true size is right now. Losing the war but big enough to be ahead of 7.
7 RD - Strong political position, good at netting, low numbers.
8 PDM - Gaining Sanct so perhaps they should be higher but too lazy to change now that I remember that. Average all around which isnt a bad thing. Friendly people mostly :P
9 TIE - Havn't done much recently for me to bother commenting on.
10 Monsters - The peaceful netters. Solid.
11 Omega - The other tree farmers. Smaller than Monsters.
12 Imag - Feisty people with decent numbers.
13 DK - Forget if you guys warred or not.. if not then your land is bad.
14 LCN - Small but good netters
15 ICN - Also small and not as good as LCN at netting
16 NA - Beaten up but hanging on
1 DANGER - DANGER! PEOPLE FEAR TO HIT THEM BECAUSE OF THEIR DANGER. MAYBE IF THEY WANT FUN THEY SHOULD DO LESS WELL.

Just netting

1 Laf - Top players are the best in the game, lots of members to get TNW, middle and bottom players are better than anyone but Evo, always a chance to win ANW/1st rank countries
2 Evo - Best middle to bottom players in the game easy, very disciplined with strats, always a chance to win ANW
3 MD - Havnt seen them net in awhile but last I remember they were decent plus they have a good membership for TNW chances if Laf doesnt net
4 RD - Less members but they have some solid netters and on a good set compete for ANW
5 PDM - Good at getting land and put up pretty good finishes.
6 Omega - Solid all around
7 Monsters - Similar to Omega
8 LCN - Have a good history of being similar to the solid Omega/Monsters combo
9 DANGER - SAME AND BILL PUT UP 65MILL LAST SET. NOT BAD!
10 ICN - Decent countries but not enough members to protect the land
11 DK - I think you guys net a bit?
12 NA - Bad luck so they never finish sets alive. Got decent land going this set though.

The rest don't matter

locket Game profile

Jan 18th 2013, 8:13:51

I tried to avoid following member counts and think I avoided bias mostly. I don't pay attention to every clan so my thoughts on some are lacking :P Oh and I took the cop out for MD/Sof. They should battle for #2!

marx12 Game profile

Jan 18th 2013, 8:25:25

War Ranking

1. MD (impressive FS, restarts are still able to kill SOFs originals)
2. SOL (still ranked too high)
3. SOF (bad guys don't belong to top 1 or top 2)
4. RD (coz you won)
5. RIVAL ( you guys are losing)
6. IMAG (and you guys lost)
7. LAF (you shouldve have netted)
8. LCN (same to you)
9. SANCT (blame LaF)

and Sharapova should win

locket Game profile

Jan 18th 2013, 8:34:41

lol blame Laf for what?

bertz Game profile

Jan 18th 2013, 8:42:28

[quote poster=locket; 22554; 415816]Combined political power, numbers,warring and netting abilitys.
1 Laf - Big, bad, and strong in all 4
2 Sof - Big enough in numbers and strong politically. Not bad at netting.
2 MD - A very good FS this set, good numbers, not bad at netting, not sure politically.
4 Evo - Weakness in numbers and I am not sure about them politically right now.
5 Sol - Decent numbers and putting up great wallers this war.
6 Rival - Not sure what Rivals true size is right now. Losing the war but big enough to be ahead of 7.
7 RD - Strong political position, good at netting, low numbers.
8 PDM - Gaining Sanct so perhaps they should be higher but too lazy to change now that I remember that. Average all around which isnt a bad thing. Friendly people mostly :P
9 TIE - Havn't done much recently for me to bother commenting on.
10 Monsters - The peaceful netters. Solid.
11 Omega - The other tree farmers. Smaller than Monsters.
12 Imag - Feisty people with decent numbers.
13 DK - Forget if you guys warred or not.. if not then your land is bad.
14 LCN - Small but good netters
15 ICN - Also small and not as good as LCN at netting
16 NA - Beaten up but hanging on
1 DANGER - DANGER! PEOPLE FEAR TO HIT THEM BECAUSE OF THEIR DANGER. MAYBE IF THEY WANT FUN THEY SHOULD DO LESS WELL.
/quote]

Did you just rank MD at par with SOF?
I really wanted SOF to get back on MD this set without LaF.
But I'd still rank them above MD because of numbers and political position.

1. LaF
2. SOF
3. MD
4. SOL
5. Evo
6. Rival
7. Rest

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Jan 18th 2013, 8:51:25

fixed version of locket's rankings

- tier 1 (aka the top alliances) -
1) LaF - good war performance, likely will have a good netting performance as well (2nd place avg net even?)
2) MD - better netters than SoF (we already knew that), better at war than SoF (now we know that)
3) SoF - they're politically better off than MD though
- tier 2 (too small to be top tier) -
4) SOL - I know they borrowed some guys from SoF but still had a really impressive war effort this set
5) Evo - the title of best netters in the game compensates for their lack of size
6) Rival - not the strongest per member alliance but have enough members to make it up here
- tier 3 (alliances that are ok at everything but not great at anything) -
7) PDM + SancT - if they tag up around 50 members they'll have solid but not great netters who know how to get land but how to use it (with the exception of a few players from both). if they tag up 50 next set they'll be a tier 2 player.
8) TIE / RD (tie.. hehe.. get it?) - both are above average netters and warrers, RD probably has an edge in netting but I downgrade them for a history of dirty play (cleaned it up the past few sets though)
- tier 4 (too small/one dimensional to matter) -
9) Monsters - decent netters and fighters, but usually overrated by alliance rankers on per member skill (it isn't that high, especially when it comes to warring)
10) Omega/LCN (tie) - a bit smaller, good at everything
11) iMag - lol not much to say about this except "LOL" at the fact that they think a leadership team of galleri, soviet and ZIP will help them out of their current state
- tier 5 (alliances shouldnt really stay in tier 5 for very long) -
12) DK - 27 members? a country with 62k acres? moving up in the world! likely to move up out of tier 5
13) ICN/NA - likely to disappear
Originally posted by Cerberus:

This guy is destroying the U.S. Dollars position as the preferred exchange for international trade. The Chinese Ruan is going to replace it soon, then the U.S. will not have control of the IMF

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Jan 18th 2013, 8:53:01

Originally posted by bertz:

Did you just rank MD at par with SOF?
I really wanted SOF to get back on MD this set without LaF.
But I'd still rank them above MD because of numbers and political position.

1. LaF
2. SOF
3. MD
4. SOL
5. Evo
6. Rival
7. Rest
you just ranked Rival below Evo and SOL even though Rival wins both political position and size vs both easily... I think you're overrating SoF's per member quality, when's the last time they had a challenging war?

This guy is destroying the U.S. Dollars position as the preferred exchange for international trade. The Chinese Ruan is going to replace it soon, then the U.S. will not have control of the IMF

Kumander Otbol

Jan 18th 2013, 9:13:43

sof never had a challenging war coz the opponents die so easily. :p
Originally posted by cypress:
no reason to start slacking just because they are getting FA

fluff them....we'll steamroll them even with the FA they are getting

locket Game profile

Jan 18th 2013, 9:23:53

PP he values netting too.

And Bertz I think MD put out a good enough war to make me think they might beat Sof 1v1 and they have good numbers too if I remember.

Plus since I am first I am the defacto rankings and they need to fight for rank 2!

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Jan 18th 2013, 9:37:47

Originally posted by Kumander Otbol:
yes, like MD this set, right? lol

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Jan 18th 2013, 9:41:16

Originally posted by locket:
Rival are better netters than SOL...

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Jan 18th 2013, 10:16:39

Originally posted by Pontius Pirate:
fixed version of locket's rankings

- tier 1 (aka the top alliances) -
1) LaF - good war performance, likely will have a good netting performance as well (2nd place avg net even?)
2) MD - better netters than SoF (we already knew that), better at war than SoF (now we know that)
3) SoF - they're politically better off than MD though
- tier 2 (too small to be top tier) -
4) SOL - I know they borrowed some guys from SoF but still had a really impressive war effort this set
5) Evo - the title of best netters in the game compensates for their lack of size
6) Rival - not the strongest per member alliance but have enough members to make it up here
- tier 3 (alliances that are ok at everything but not great at anything) -
7) PDM + SancT - if they tag up around 50 members they'll have solid but not great netters who know how to get land but how to use it (with the exception of a few players from both). if they tag up 50 next set they'll be a tier 2 player.
8) TIE / RD (tie.. hehe.. get it?) - both are above average netters and warrers, RD probably has an edge in netting but I downgrade them for a history of dirty play (cleaned it up the past few sets though)
- tier 4 (too small/one dimensional to matter) -
9) Monsters - decent netters and fighters, but usually overrated by alliance rankers on per member skill (it isn't that high, especially when it comes to warring)
10) Omega/LCN (tie) - a bit smaller, good at everything
11) iMag - lol not much to say about this except "LOL" at the fact that they think a leadership team of galleri, soviet and ZIP will help them out of their current state
- tier 5 (alliances shouldnt really stay in tier 5 for very long) -
12) DK - 27 members? a country with 62k acres? moving up in the world! likely to move up out of tier 5
13) ICN/NA - likely to disappear

I could drag back scode...or I could offer you the prez position...noone else is eligible there to lead, well unless you count zarcon who refuses to come oop each set, wtk...we never understand, and well noone else including them wants the spot. meh.
As I said in my new years resolution post:
Become prez of imag...achieved (though I was kidding)
Have PP become my bff..... Come on PP :P Big hug time? Then we bake cookies and crochet?

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

Marshal Game profile

Jan 18th 2013, 11:44:29

IMAG IS RANKED TOO HIGH!!!
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

locket Game profile

Jan 18th 2013, 11:51:27

His is a combo ranking like my first one dude. Sol has members and beat Rival in a war so they are above them. Evo are a top netting clan with less members. He values the netting enough to be ahead of Rival but the members and war ability of Sol enough to be behind them. It is his opinion and it isn't crazy :P

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Jan 18th 2013, 11:58:11

His is a combo ranking like my first one dude. Sol has members and beat Rival in a war so they are above them. Evo are a top netting clan with less members. He values the netting enough to be ahead of Rival but the members and war ability of Sol enough to be behind them. It is his opinion and it isn't crazy :P
its an internally inconsistent set of preferences :P and rival have members over SOL, politics over SOL as well, SOL just has war over Rival

Kumander Otbol

Jan 18th 2013, 12:00:55

yes, like MD this set, right? lol

since i returned to this game? it's not only MD. :P

and you'll always be against SoF whatever you're presented with, so i understand you. ;)

also, you should bring back the fist as i was once an avid fan of them. :P (i don't think you remember the Shadow Warriors though.) ;) bring back The Fist of Odin and let's kill SoF every set! =)

but if you are only giving emphasis to MD's FS, i don't give that much credit knowing the server knew what SoF is up to. same with them, i'll take advantage of it and call it a win. i wonder if it will still be the same for the sets to come. ;) but i hope so. :P

elvesrus

Jan 18th 2013, 12:09:11

SoF will never have a challenging opponent as politics stand. Until things change SoF can't war, are mediocre netters at best, and are strictly relying on politics.

Please prove me wrong.
Originally posted by crest23:
Elves is a douche on every server.

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Jan 18th 2013, 12:15:15

Everyone accuses me of being anti-their clan.. I've had it from PDM, RD, iMag, SoF, SOL and maybe others at times. Apparently if you call an alliance out on its crappy gameplay it's a bias. It's a convenient way to avoid the point. It wasn't just the FS this set, MD was outhitting SoF 10 days into the war (includes SoF hits on LCN) and that's with LaF hitting them a lot more than SoF was.

And of course I remember Shadow Warriors :P

Kumander Otbol

Jan 18th 2013, 12:28:03

Everyone accuses me of being anti-their clan.. I've had it from PDM, RD, iMag, SoF, SOL and maybe others at times. Apparently if you call an alliance out on its crappy gameplay it's a bias. It's a convenient way to avoid the point. It wasn't just the FS this set, MD was outhitting SoF 10 days into the war (includes SoF hits on LCN) and that's with LaF hitting them a lot more than SoF was.

And of course I remember Shadow Warriors :P

guess the only alliance that's good for you would be the fist. :p

you tend to forget things that needs to be considered to re-evaluate things. :p

bottomline: SoF sucks at netting, SoF can't war. elvesrus is right. don't rank them too high.

(but i wonder why no tag has ever challenged SoF on a 1 on 1, without taking advantage of a publicly announced plan/s.)

Kumander Otbol

Jan 18th 2013, 12:35:32

1 LaF
2 SoF
3 MD/SoL
4 Rival
5 Evo/RD
6 PDM

Red X Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express & Team

Jan 18th 2013, 13:34:33

Originally posted by elvesrus:
SoF will never have a challenging opponent as politics stand. Until things change SoF can't war, are mediocre netters at best, and are strictly relying on politics.

Please prove me wrong.

lol
My attitude is that of a Hulk smash
Mixed with Tony Montana snortin' bags of his coke stash
http://nbkffa.ghqnet.com

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Jan 18th 2013, 14:50:00

*goes to hunt some elves*

you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

Magellaan Game profile

Jan 18th 2013, 15:03:17

Apart from some LaF hits early in the set we had no problems retalling..
But ranking itself seems about right :P Lots of room for improvement.
Not MD, fake Magellaan.

Kalick Game profile

Jan 18th 2013, 15:36:10

1. LaF
2. SoF
3. MD
4. SoL
5. Rival
6. Evo
7. PDM/Sanct
8. RD
9. TIE
10. NM
11. LCN

tellarion Game profile

Jan 18th 2013, 16:09:12

I imagine these rankings would be quite a bit different had we been at all prepared last set. I'd like to think we performed quite admirably, under the circumstances.

Also, it's fun to watch people guess at politics :)

maverickmd Game profile

Jan 18th 2013, 16:55:06

Of all the alliances this round I am most impressed with SoL.

Pride Game profile

Jan 18th 2013, 18:08:55

Sol definitely delivered. I'd expect nothing less from them though. Having fought with Sol many times I know they bring the heat.

As for these ranking who cares

Laf #1
The rest doesn't matter.

BILL_DANGER Game profile

Jan 18th 2013, 21:04:58

LOCKET, INDEED I WAS SCOLDED BY SAM EARLY THIS RESET FOR BEING TOO SCARY! HA!!

PONTIUS PILATE I NOTE WITH SOME INFURIATION THAT YOU FAILED TO INCLUDE TIER ZERO, THE CREAM OF THE CROP, WHICH OF COURSE IS LIMITED ONLY TO THE MIGHTY CLAN [DANGER]! I SUPPOSE GIVEN THAT YOU OVERSAW THE MURDERING OF JESUS AND ALL, I SHOULDN'T EXPECT FAIRNESS, BUT I CANNOT HELP BUT FEEL A LITTLE BIT OF RAGE ALL THE SAME.

BILL
MINISTER OF INFLAMMATORY RELIGIOUS REFERENCES
THE MIGHTY CLAN [DANGER]!

Ikkaku Game profile

Jan 18th 2013, 21:09:54

bonus

locket Game profile

Jan 18th 2013, 21:16:43

Originally posted by Magellaan:

Apart from some LaF hits early in the set we had no problems retalling..
But ranking itself seems about right :P Lots of room for improvement.

Fair enough :P I just noticed slightly lower land than some others and I think and figured that must be a reason. I'm just glad to see you guys hanging around :) I was quite tired while writing the things and didn't have a ton to say for the more obvious ones to place :P

Pride Game profile

Jan 19th 2013, 5:07:22

Originally posted by elvesrus:

Please prove me wrong.

Who is this guy and why is he so smart :)

bertz Game profile

Jan 19th 2013, 6:31:44

1 LaF
2 SoF
3 MD/SoL
4 Rival
5 Evo/RD
6 PDM

Evo on the same spot with RD is funny

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Jan 19th 2013, 10:13:40

1 LaF
2 SoF
3 MD/SoL
4 Rival
5 Evo/RD
6 PDM

so is MD and SOL... people overrating SOL based on this set. sure it is a really strong performance from them, but it's against Rival (not SOF+LAF) and they have members from SOF tagged up with them
RD in front of PDM is also lolworthy but then again, Kumander Otbol is one of those people who still doesn't think hanlong "really cheated" so...

locket Game profile

Jan 19th 2013, 11:17:27

RD has political power and better netting performances. It depends how you weigh things in your own mind when comparing clans. MD and Sol being on the same level is pretty retarded though. Sol needs more members to catch them since MD had such a good FS

Makinso Game profile

Jan 19th 2013, 16:18:50

LoL @ all the SOL filled with SoF comments..

There's is a total of 3 SOF restarts in SOL....

Kumander Otbol

Jan 19th 2013, 16:41:20

if it's membership based you want, MD>SoL. but my ranking is not based on membership though. unless it's the only way MD can beat SoL. numbers does not imply activity.

@ PP: i don't judge people by what i hear from others, and i don't conclude things at all unless i have complete details. i guess there's nothing wrong with that. :P

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 19th 2013, 17:29:24

RD has political power and better netting performances. It depends how you weigh things in your own mind when comparing clans. MD and Sol being on the same level is pretty retarded though. Sol needs more members to catch them since MD had such a good FS

heh, I've always felt that the summation of RD's political power since returning to EE is who they can screw over to "help out" LaF to maintain LaF's sometimes facepalming suppoort (i.e., landtrading when LaF was anti-landtrading, unevening the even war, allying with SoL when LaF was in a trough, etc). Even when RD was smacked by LaF, they always came back. PDM is better at netting per-acre than RD is, but RD still uses a more extreme "find a partner and dance" model, whereas PDM moved to more open grabbing style pacts. Ironic because PDM adapted after fighting the wars to allow RD to landtrade, while RD aligned with the enemies who wanted to kill landtraders, and now those alliances support landtrading themselves. So how can PDM lose politically when all of the alliances that fought and lobbied against them re:landtrading now embrace the alliance that used it the most for the most gain (and most competition vs LaF players) and now even do it themselves in some instances? I think PDM's one of the biggest political victors of EE so far with the move to new grabbing policies. I'm certainly biased toward PDM and against RD in this assessment, so grab some salt.

Both MD and SoL come out as major political victors this set. SoL put up a solid war effort which I'm sure will energize them and help with recruiting. MD got smoked by overwhelming numbers, but they get the moral victory for SoF needing to call in massively overwhelming numbers. It was like India and China going to war, and then India calling in the USA. Hmm... that's actually a plausible scenario. Anyway, the extra irony is that LaF seemed to essentially be called in for "ruining SoF's netting" -- something SoF doesn't often taken into account when attacking others (unless it's looking for a netting tag to squish...) and in calling LaF in, SoF/MD also took down LaF's netting, which sucks because I'm playing there. So that means another political victor is Evo, who will win ANW thanks to LaF taking time off netting to fight MD. :(

I think we can all agree that it was an interesting round regardless of your take on it.

Edited By: Pang on Jan 19th 2013, 17:48:31
See Original Post
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

H4xOr WaNgEr Game profile

Forum Moderator

Jan 19th 2013, 17:38:35

1 LaF
2 SoF
3 MD/SoL
4 Rival
5 Evo/RD
6 PDM

so is MD and SOL... people overrating SOL based on this set. sure it is a really strong performance from them, but it's against Rival (not SOF+LAF) and they have members from SOF tagged up with them
RD in front of PDM is also lolworthy but then again, Kumander Otbol is one of those people who still doesn't think hanlong "really cheated" so...

Seeing how this thread is about alliance rankings for this reset, I don't see what the issue is

tellarion Game profile

Jan 19th 2013, 17:52:17

Evo is pretty terrible.

Mr Charcoal Game profile

Jan 19th 2013, 18:21:11

Originally posted by tellarion:
Evo is pretty terrible.

Tella is pretty awesome.
Originally posted by NOW3P:
Religion is like a penis - it's perfectly fine to have one, but you're best served not whipping it out in public and waving it in people's faces.

Makinso Game profile

Jan 19th 2013, 18:21:43

My comment was not at you utbol was more at pontius

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Jan 19th 2013, 18:26:09

Originally posted by Makinso:
My comment was not at you utbol was more at pontius
I didn't say filled, I said a few

Kaloop

Jan 19th 2013, 18:39:10

1 LaF
2 SoF
3 MD/SoL
4 Rival
5 Evo/RD
6 PDM

HANLONG CHEATING REFERENCE! !!!! And everyone thought it was over!

Syko_Killa Game profile

Jan 19th 2013, 19:05:20

TOP TEN LIST
1. SOF
2. SOF
3. SOF
4. SOF
5. SOF
6. SOF
7. SOF
8. SOF
9. SOF
10.SOF
Do as I say, not as I do.

locket Game profile

Jan 19th 2013, 21:44:01

Originally posted by Pang:

heh, I've always felt that the summation of RD's political power since returning to EE is who they can screw over to "help out" LaF to maintain LaF's sometimes facepalming suppoort (i.e., landtrading when LaF was anti-landtrading, unevening the even war, allying with SoL when LaF was in a trough, etc). Even when RD was smacked by LaF, they always came back. PDM is better at netting per-acre than RD is, but RD still uses a more extreme "find a partner and dance" model, whereas PDM moved to more open grabbing style pacts. Ironic because PDM adapted after fighting the wars to allow RD to landtrade, while RD aligned with the enemies who wanted to kill landtraders, and now those alliances support landtrading themselves. So how can PDM lose politically when all of the alliances that fought and lobbied against them re:landtrading now embrace the alliance that used it the most for the most gain (and most competition vs LaF players) and now even do it themselves in some instances? I think PDM's one of the biggest political victors of EE so far with the move to new grabbing policies. I'm certainly biased toward PDM and against RD in this assessment, so grab some salt.

Both MD and SoL come out as major political victors this set. SoL put up a solid war effort which I'm sure will energize them and help with recruiting. MD got smoked by overwhelming numbers, but they get the moral victory for SoF needing to call in massively overwhelming numbers. It was like India and China going to war, and then India calling in the USA. Hmm... that's actually a plausible scenario. Anyway, the extra irony is that LaF seemed to essentially be called in for "ruining SoF's netting" -- something SoF doesn't often taken into account when attacking others (unless it's looking for a netting tag to squish...) and in calling LaF in, SoF/MD also took down LaF's netting, which sucks because I'm playing there. So that means another political victor is Evo, who will win ANW thanks to LaF taking time off netting to fight MD. :(

I think we can all agree that it was an interesting round regardless of your take on it.

It has absolutely nothing to do with PDM getting a political victory. It has everything to do with the fact that despite complaints made by some, landtrading is still overpowered compared to the other options out there. It has kind of been forced down some people's throats.

groton

Jan 19th 2013, 23:36:55

RIVAL got their asses handed to them. embarrassing performance. imag is probably better than them at this point (wwhich is saying something)

Kalick Game profile

Jan 20th 2013, 0:15:41

Originally posted by groton:
RIVAL got their asses handed to them. embarrassing performance. imag is probably better than them at this point (wwhich is saying something)

Can't be real groton. Spelling is too good.

Brink Game profile

Jan 20th 2013, 1:11:51

Originally posted by groton:
RIVAL got ther asses handid to them. embearassing performense. imag is probabbly bettir than them at this point (wwhich is saying something)

Fixed for the real groton