Verified:

Dragon Game profile

Jun 4th 2012, 21:11:38

I was reading an article today about the potential employment ramifications of people who have tattoos (inappropriate or appropriate) that are visible in the course of their daily job.

It's a really touchy subject. Personally, I have absolutely nothing against body art, but I'd cut my arm off with a chainsaw if I woke up with a tattoo on my arm.

In the workplace, it's an entirely different story. Especially in occupations that require the customer, client or medical patient to immediately trust the person assisting them.

I think in any case, it's probably a poor idea to go to a job interview at an Accounting Firm, Hospital, or any other Employer that deals with people from a wide demographic that contains a majority that may not think that sleeve or pierced lip ain't so cool.

Yes, we're talking about "prejudice" in a way, but we're also talking about how a service or business projects itself to the vast majority of people.

I wear a diamond stud earring my wife gave me for Christmas years ago when I was playing in a rock band. It's cool. It's sparkly. It's also against the dress code of my employer. So when working, I take it out. Gladly. I get paid REALLY GOOD MONEY to not have it in during work hours.

In America, we're free to express ourselves as we choose, but I don't think we're ready as a Society to easily accept and trust someone that looks like Kat Von D walking in and saying "I'm Doctor Smith. I will be taking care of you."

Discuss

Tin Man

Jun 4th 2012, 22:07:00

i have absolutely NO piercings, or tattoos or anything like that I would not mind having Doctor Smith on my side

Azz Kikr Game profile

Wiki Mod

Jun 4th 2012, 22:49:18

i think the more immediate problem, dragon, is that prejudice that you mentioned

here's my question for you. if it weren't against your work's dress code, would you wear the stud? :)

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Jun 4th 2012, 22:59:10

mmmm, boobies. think i need a tattoo. but if i'd let them tattoo me, then i'd probably let them do surgery if they had the skills.

go find somebody else to do the work if you don't like my body art. ain't being paid to look good.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

Dragon Game profile

Jun 4th 2012, 23:06:28

Originally posted by Azz Kikr:
i think the more immediate problem, dragon, is that prejudice that you mentioned

here's my question for you. if it weren't against your work's dress code, would you wear the stud? :)

Sure I would. I only don't because my employer says that men won't wear diamond stud earrings on company time.

That's the privilege of any employer. I personally have no issues with the looks of the salesperson or consultant helping me or the doctor treating me.

However, in American SOciety, the Old People, who happen to be the influential majority are unready to have Pierced Penny advising them on their Retirement Portfolio or having Tattooed Tommy saving their lives in the Emergency Room.

In a generation, I don't think it will be as big an issue.

That said, I have to be honest. I respect the right of Azz Kikr to express himself as he sees fit and be as pierced and tattooed as he likes, but even though prejudice isn't rearing its ugly head in MY case, I'm not sure that such an overtly self-centered person really gives 2 fluffs about my purchase or my health.

That's the hard part. At what point does someone's appearance indicate self-centered behavior or simple outright defiant behavior?

Some of them are obviously making a statement that they defy "the establishment" and then on the same token expect "the establishment" to respect them for their knowledge, skills and good judgment.

I don't think it's as simple as looking at the surface.

CX LaE Game profile

Jun 4th 2012, 23:09:17

I don't think tattoos or piercings should dictate who can work where. If they have the skills, employ them. Lawyers, doctors, and accountants are paid to do a job and do it well. They aren't paid boatloads of cash to look good.

Further, if you think having tattoos or piercings makes someone untrustworthy or less able to do their job well, then consider that this: If their employer hired them, it was probably because they were the best candidate for the position.

And for the record, I have no tats or piercings.
LaE | Monks | NA
Since 1999

Azz Kikr Game profile

Wiki Mod

Jun 5th 2012, 0:16:48

yeah i suppose i should clarify that too
the only piercings i have are because i'm a clumsy sonuvafluff.

also i agree to some extent, dragon. except that i don't think it's going away. socially conservative people will always be offended by "abnormal" appearances. tats, piercings, hell they get offended by women with short hair and men with long hair :p

Popcom Game profile

Jun 5th 2012, 0:31:08

my $.02:
People will discriminate against people with tattoos. it's not right, but it happens. If you get a visible tattoo, expect it. Its not right, but it will happen.

If you think having tattoos or piercings makes someone untrustworthy or less able to do their job, you're an idiot. (unless job performance depends on someones opinion of them, based on there looks, and is completely out of their control)

I have several tattoos and 1 piercing, my tats are on my arms, and my nipple is pierced. At work im always the hardest working, most honest employee you could ask for. I've had more then 1 employer find out I have tattoos and piercings and completely change their opinion of people with them..which is a good ego booster haha
1A - BLOWS
FFA- NBK4Life

~If at first you don't succeed, you are clearly not Popcom~

CX LaE Game profile

Jun 5th 2012, 0:37:39

I hear ya Popcom. A good buddy of mine is an MD w/ 2 quarter sleeve tats.
LaE | Monks | NA
Since 1999

Dizology Game profile

Jun 5th 2012, 1:23:41

I have a couple of tats, They're mostly hidden. I think people can be smart about it if they want tattoos, or piercings, to keep them hidden and still appear "normal" for those conservative types. Some jobs, you would have to be "presentable" and thus cannot have visible tats/piercings, but there are plenty of jobs where I see it wouldn't matter in the slightest.

However, that being said, I wouldn't employ some of these people
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/...d-16925-1271017633-23.jpg

http://extra.listverse.com/...rcing/piercing_11sept.jpg

http://extra.listverse.com/...zon/piercing/Piercing.jpg

... and well, this one is just trippy....
http://extra.listverse.com/...ercing/piercing_happy.jpg

crysk Game profile

Jun 5th 2012, 1:31:57

a tattoo here and there I get, but going a little overboard with the pics Diz posted. I wouldn't hire them either:-/

I have both a tattoo on my left wrist and a tongue piercing among others. I regularly take out the tongue piercing for my job in a law office but not because my employer asks me to, I just do depending on who I'm meeting with. As for the tat, its never covered and very visable in my job. I think it truly depends on your job, if you want to work where you are, follow the codes. Personally, I covered the tat for my interview by wearing a long sleeved suit, but once I got the job they didn't care that I had one in plain view. Never once had anyone complain about either.

Dizology Game profile

Jun 5th 2012, 1:33:58

Yes, they were a bit overboard. I'm just saying, I'm not that open minded lol

Twain Game profile

Jun 5th 2012, 1:58:20

I personally think tattoos are, in most cases, pretty tacky, but that's my personal opinion. But as far as whether it affects me when it comes to hired employees I might have to deal with, it's all about two things, the first of which is far more important than the second: Is the professional relationship something I have to rely on to know I'm not getting screwed over in any way? And What type of tattoo are we talking about? If I'm buying a cell phone, I could care less if the guy's pierced like Diz's pictures (other than the fact that I'd be bothered by looking at the dude/girl for the time it took to get the transaction completed). I'd have done my research already and who's selling me the phone really doesn't matter.

If I have to trust their judgment in order to protect myself either legally or physically, then every little thing matters. It's not just about body art, but if my surgeon comes in to introduce himself and he's got a tongue-ring and tattoos up and down his arms, I'm probably going to question this guy's judgment. If it's someone defending my interests in a courtroom, same thing.

Maybe that's being judgmental, but we're all judgmental about certain things, and if those things are indicative of the choices that someone has made leading up to the meeting, there's nothing necessarily wrong with that. That's not to say someone couldn't be the best lawyer or surgeon in the United States and also a tattoo enthusiast, but this type of prejudice is far different than judging someone based on gender or race or even something that is part of a culture someone's born into like religion.