Verified:

NukEvil Game profile

Sep 8th 2010, 12:22:51

I believe that if the country or countries which you grabbed in the past 72 hours have died since the grabbing, you should be able to drop the land you grabbed from them.

Also, since there's apparently a campaign to shorten retal windows from 72 hours to 48 hours in a certain server, I think the no-drop rule should reflect so.

Because it's impossible to kill countries whose owners were stupid enough to come OOP with ~200 acres if you can't drop near enough to their networth to hit them after you've grabbed them a few times...
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 8th 2010, 14:39:11

ergh i guess the point is to make people able to do multiple landkills early set in express

i guess its ok if you really want to but im not really a fan of the concept

as to the 72 to 48 thing theres one tag who moved to 72 hour escalating retals per country so i guess it goes both ways

lincoln

Sep 8th 2010, 14:57:00

it strikes me the main effect of the no drop land rule is that it makes almost impossible to stonewall against a clan

i have come to believe that is the real reason for the rule
to add to the kill rate in clan servers

i still say the main purpose on individual servers is to prevent the rise of a highly teched LGer
FoG

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 8th 2010, 15:02:51

i have come to believe that is the real reason for the rule
to add to the kill rate in clan servers

What? how could you possible come to that conclusion?

The real reason behind it is to prevent suiciders from grabbing and removing like 160kA from an alliance / the server in like 20 minutes
Finally did the signature thing.

lincoln

Sep 8th 2010, 15:51:51

qzjul,

if true suiciders really wanted to do that they could easily take the land and self delete

to take that much land from a server we are talking about a whole mass of LGers, they merely take the land from the alliance and then put each other in DR so that by the time the victims come to reclaim "their" land the returns do not justify the military losses

the no drop land rule does not stop the abuse but it does prevent stonewalling which is why i concluded that anti stonewalling must be its real reason for existence
FoG

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 8th 2010, 17:29:32

no, because it becomes difficult to grab when you have 130k acres... it was the grab, drop, grab, drop, grab, drop... most of these suiciders could only break due to having max weaps tech when they had ~1kA; expand that to 20 or 100kA and you have much lower weaps tech

lincoln

Sep 8th 2010, 18:39:17

what is wrong with that?
a fully teched LGer who is preying on the weak is no reason to change game rules
if the Lger is improving his country that ought to be allowed
FoG

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 9th 2010, 4:35:33

the difference is if you grab for stock/griefing and drop land your ruducing land/production/networth for the entire server

and most people decided it was more fun to play a game with higher land and networth than smaller

so things like increasing the explore rate, ghost acres, expenses reduction were put in place

and letting grabbing and dropping be an effective strat not only takes stuff out of the system but makes everyone try not to be the most attractive target

NukEvil Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 12:23:46

My main problem is the fact that it's now impossible to landkill countries whose owners were stupid enough to come OOP with a tiny amount of acres and little defense, because their nw drops so fast when you start grabbing what little land they've got. It effectively eliminates a viable restart war strategy, not just in express, but on pretty much every server.
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 9th 2010, 13:16:57

well it depends how much you manage your networth and how they manage theirs

from memory pop networth is 2 for mono, and cash/food/oil on top of that

means if they explore build at a rate to use all their cash they will just be left with:

acres*2=networth

where acres is how much acres they have when you start killing them

given that landkills will typically be between 200 and 1500 that gives 400 to 3k minimum networth

more for cash or food or oil, probably not more than 50 if they are trying to keep net low

so you would need to be under 2500 ish networth to kill someone who really doesnt want to be landkilled

that gives you a maximum of 30 acres, and therefore 30 csites, effectively meaning youve wasted in excess of 70 turns to kill someone who gets 50 turns free

in a less extreme case where you dont have to drop csites and can build csites for readiness the turn loss isnt as big an issue of course

if you manage your networth in advance and come out with 100 csites you should be at about 8300 networth so would be able to drop 100 acres you grabbed but would then grow in networth leaving you being unable to kill if they were bigger to start with than an amount im not going to bother to calc

that would still limit you with your can drop after they are dead fix though, i think the more elegant solution is to allow dropped land but count the county who drops the land as still having the land when being grabbed, potentially with counting as having buildings on it but im not sure about that

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 9th 2010, 13:20:37

in other words your method means countries could potentially do repeated land kills but doesn't help individual land kills that are tricky unless you spread the gained land/networth over multiple countries and then only makes a difference on subsequent kills compared to know

mine would allow constant land killing though i suggest the favour would be quickly repaid

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 9th 2010, 15:01:35

land is 45 NW, buildings are 35; usually land*80 == nw from land

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 9th 2010, 15:11:53

yes but pop is about 2/acre in networth

so i used 83 as a minimum net/acre for a country building only csites since 1 csite is a stored turn you need to be built, assumes a bit of food cash and mil as well

and i used 2 networth per starting acre for a landkill target as thats the only networth you can count on a target having besides either 45 or 80 from 1 acre before the last hit

probably 80

the 2500 networth max works out to about a 131 acre country

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 9th 2010, 15:13:31

if you really want to make landkilling less of a hassle boost humanitarians to make countries count as a minimum of 100k or even 10k or something like that

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 9th 2010, 15:14:18

oh
hah

i see what you mean, i didn't really follow your line of thought

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 9th 2010, 15:48:37

you could also make pop have a higher networth, that would make landkilling a bit easier

and people could still run 70% tax tyrannys if they really wanted low pop i guess

llaar Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 17:25:58

totally true... OOP wars are completely screwed by this new rule, since you have to drop land to stay in range for landkilling of small countries. and restart killing is totally screwed for the same reason. if you could drop 1000 acres of grabbed land per day, and nothing over that... that would fix the problem, without enabling the suicider benefits.

lincoln

Sep 16th 2010, 2:11:47

i like llaar's idea, 1000 acres a day in the slow servers
1000 every two hours in express
FoG

Ozzite Game profile

Sep 16th 2010, 9:34:38

Maybe you can drop a MINIMUM of 1000 acres per day.

I grabbed 75k acres with on of my FFA countries in a day this set (off of my other countries,mostly to take their stock)..I dropped 35k acres that same day. It would have been crazy if that took me 35 days to drop.....
Ah, mercury. Sweetest of the transition metals.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 16th 2010, 15:13:21

that's the point Ozzite... say you grab 190kA from an alliance, are you then allowed to drop all of it?

iZarcon Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 16th 2010, 15:15:33

if you did that, you'd surely die through the ingame politics...
-iZarcon
EE Developer

http://www.letskillstuff.org

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 16th 2010, 15:24:16

of course you'd die... but that's the very definition of suiciding isn't it

Detmer Game profile

Sep 16th 2010, 15:26:42

Originally posted by qzjul:
of course you'd die... but that's the very definition of suiciding isn't it

Suiciding is killing yourself - not having others do it for you.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 16th 2010, 15:36:12

well sorry, in this game, suiciding is usually doing something that will surely result in your death merely to try to screw over some other clan/person/group

Detmer Game profile

Sep 16th 2010, 15:39:33

Originally posted by qzjul:
well sorry, in this game, suiciding is usually doing something that will surely result in your death merely to try to screw over some other clan/person/group

I think that is too subjective of a definition. Suiciding is when you self-delete. Just attacking someone more powerful than you is not necessarily suicidal, even in intention.

Ozzite Game profile

Sep 16th 2010, 15:51:43

No, suiciding is not only when you self-delete. You can do added damage by making them kill you.

Stop arguing semantics, Demeter(sic)

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 16th 2010, 15:56:40

Self-deleting or not does not change your "suiciderness"

It's almost worse if they don't self delete =/ killing them is a PITA

lincoln

Sep 16th 2010, 16:30:13

ok qz
ozymandius has convinced me that in order to stop his peculiar brand of insanity the land protection act of 2010 has some merit in a clan game where self farming and all the other perversions of the game occur

but the rule still has no place in an individual server
FoG

Ozzite Game profile

Sep 16th 2010, 17:43:58

I LIKE GRABBING MYSELF AND THEN DROPPING THE LAND...MAKES ME FEEL GOOD