Verified:

BobbyATA Game profile

Dec 8th 2010, 5:58:35

This question is probably more well known but ah well. I'll try to come up with a less well known one for next day, but this should be a lot of fun for those who haven't seen it:

How many people must attend a party so that there exists a subset of 3 people at the party who all know each other or who all don't know each other? To be clear about definitions, it is understood that if A knows B, then B knows A.

For example, 3 is not enough. As we could have person A knows person B but A does not know C. (and the relationship of B to C doesn't even matter).

Please post a spoiler warning or something if you think/know you have the correct solution...

Rockman Game profile

Dec 8th 2010, 8:05:40

edit: actually, your wording seems imprecise

Do you mean that there must exist a subset, or that there possibly could exist a subset?

It's a trivial question if you mean that there possibly could exist a subset, so I'm guessing you mean that there must exist a subset no matter what groupings you use.

Edited By: Rockman on Dec 8th 2010, 8:11:32
See Original Post

santti Game profile

Dec 8th 2010, 11:44:59

I think right answer is 3,
at the beginning of the party all three knows all the others. But finally, because they have so great party, they start to talk with bottles and lamps and doesn't recognise each others and then they have some fight and even their mothers doesn't recognise them and when they talk with the toilet seat and want to present themselves they don't remember who they are and just shout GEOOOOOORGE!
SanttiE is here again!

mrford Game profile

Dec 8th 2010, 12:07:11

Seen it before

I'll hold off
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Rufus Game profile

Dec 8th 2010, 13:27:57

Originally posted by Rockman:
edit: actually, your wording seems imprecise

Do you mean that there must exist a subset, or that there possibly could exist a subset?

It's a trivial question if you mean that there possibly could exist a subset, so I'm guessing you mean that there must exist a subset no matter what groupings you use.
The probability that 3 dudes are either mutual friends or mutual strangers is 100%. In BobbyATA's example, 3 can can be friends, totally strangers (a bit awkward considering that there are not many people who would invite two random guys from the street at his birthday party but not impossible) or John can invite his buddy Joe who comes with his newest girlfriend Sue (neither mutual friends nor mutual strangers). Not 100% guaranteed that the conditions are met.

(Not sure if this was a spoiler or a hint)
I am John Galt.

BobbyATA Game profile

Dec 8th 2010, 15:58:07

sorry Rockman (and others), my wording was imprecise. I meant to say how many party attendees must there be such that there MUST be a subset of 3 guests who...

Also, to Rufus point, yes it would be awkward to have a guest who for example knows nobody, but let us assume this is a possibility (for example lets say perhaps this is an Earth meet and to "know" somebody means to have actually met them before in REAL LIFE, in which case a party guest "not knowing" anyone is quite possible)

PraetorNLS Game profile

Dec 8th 2010, 17:58:37

An even more fun math question is ; why is it that BobbyATA can not be derivated ?
Praetor - disqualified from the human race for being three laps ahead in the second round.

Rufus Game profile

Dec 8th 2010, 18:13:16

f(bobby) = bobby^a
f' = a * bobby?

Edit: spoiler, don't read "original post"

Edited By: Rufus on Dec 8th 2010, 18:16:20
See Original Post
I am John Galt.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Dec 8th 2010, 18:29:35

fluff^fluff = ffulf^ffulf
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

PraetorNLS Game profile

Dec 8th 2010, 19:00:47

Because BobbyATA doest have a function , duh :P
Praetor - disqualified from the human race for being three laps ahead in the second round.

BobbyATA Game profile

Dec 10th 2010, 23:07:31

Rufus got it (see his "Original Post") NIce solution man=) Yay math!